Film Study GT Def Breakdown vs. Louisville

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

So close to be a winning type of defense. Still too inconsistent. Still not sound in zone drops, but we are seeing more blitzing as CNW promised. Have to get better on this side so we can close out this season on a run

Could just be me but I don’t think the audio loaded.

Deleted member 2897

Thanks for your work on this!

You said (paraphrasing) that it seemed like we did a lot of zone coverage, and then we'd watch the QB while staying in our zone while letting guys run their routes through our zones. I've noticed a lot of the same stuff too. Aren't you supposed to cover the guy as he goes through your zone and then pop loose back into your area if the receiver exits? It seems like a lot of the time we're taking up space and just there to make the tackle.

Also, at 5:45 into the video, we're facing a 2nd and 9. We line up 7 of our 11 mean beyond 6 yards off the line. So we all but concede 6 yards on the play. That's why our 3rd down defense conversion rate is so bad - we're leaving ourselves with tons of 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Thanks for your work on this!

You said (paraphrasing) that it seemed like we did a lot of zone coverage, and then we'd watch the QB while staying in our zone while letting guys run their routes through our zones. I've noticed a lot of the same stuff too. Aren't you supposed to cover the guy as he goes through your zone and then pop loose back into your area if the receiver exits? It seems like a lot of the time we're taking up space and just there to make the tackle.

Also, at 5:45 into the video, we're facing a 2nd and 9. We line up 7 of our 11 mean beyond 6 yards off the line. So we all but concede 6 yards on the play. That's why our 3rd down defense conversion rate is so bad - we're leaving ourselves with tons of 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2.

We were taught under Tenuta“match” concepts. Think Syracuse 2-3 Zone. If a WR comes in my zone, I’m matching/ psuedo man that WR until he’s out of my zone

MidtownJacket

Staff member
They have earned it. ASA has been a monster, KCH Adams, and Branch has been solid. The 2nd team has to step it up so those uglies could rotate
Thank you for doing these. I learn ALOT about our Defense from your videos and have really enjoyed the process. Do you think this development speaks more to the coach's ability to teach / develop or is it just guys getting comfortable? I am really hoping CNW is the real deal for us and we can start to build a calling care in the conference off of our new Defensive Approach

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Great video as always.

On the sack by Anree, you mentioned the great play he made. It was a textbook rush. I couldn't take my eyes off our number 90 throwing the center to the ground and rushing the qb into Anree.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
@Ibeeballin have you seen decent progress from game one till now? Do you think the D will be much improved next year based on improvements you have seen so far, if they continue to do so?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Why is Tre 12 yards off the ball on some 3rd downs? Thought Woody’s D = No more soft coverage.
It’s how he’s playing it, he’s not back peddling at the snap. He allows the WR to get on him and plays the sticks unless the WR goes beyond the sticks. If it’s a short route he should be able to read it quick enough and brake on it because his momentum is not going back much. Of course man vs zone plays a role in it as well.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
@Ibeeballin have you seen decent progress from game one till now? Do you think the D will be much improved next year based on improvements you have seen so far, if they continue to do so?

Yes. Mostly is a product of our offense maintaining drives and keeping the defense fresh.

We should expect a big jump from next year. It sucks we won’t have ASA next year because this type of defense is what he has needed to showcase his explosiveness. I hope Owens can trim down and be that guy for us

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yes. Mostly is a product of our offense maintaining drives and keeping the defense fresh.

We should expect a big jump from next year. It sucks we won’t have ASA next year because this type of defense is what he has needed to showcase his explosiveness. I hope Owens can trim down and be that guy for us
Thank you!!! my biggest worry next year is the DL. I think Adams has shown flashes and could probably take over at NT but at both DE spots idk what’s going to happen. I think Owens has the ability to be good but he needs to play with better pad level at times. Hopefully guys like him, Dawson, Glanton, and Martin can make a good jump into next year. At DB and LB I think we will be better. I’m glad you see a difference though, gives me hope.

Edit: I think Griffin could possibly make some noise next year at NT or DE.