GT @ Cuse Tonight, 7pm

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This will forever be the year of what could have been. Injuries killed a legit tournament team. I'll take our token big win, nc state 2 years ago and Miami last year, glad we got one.

How good is Robert Carter going to be next year?
If we could have closed out a few more games like we did today we would have a much better record. That's why this season has been so frustrating.

Omahajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
If we finish out two of the close games, one being nc state, then we would be playing uva or 2 seed to get to semi finals of ACC tourney. To be fair, injuries occur on every team, however I think it is fair to assume that we win 2 of those close games with a healthy and seasoned RCjr. We would be 17-13, 8-9 in conference with all losses coming to upper half of conference and have a road win at syracuse on our resume

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This is not a tournament team by any means, we won a big game but don't overreact. We should be a couple games under 500 in ACC play and around 500 overall

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
This will forever be the year of what could have been. Injuries killed a legit tournament team. I'll take our token big win, nc state 2 years ago and Miami last year, glad we got one.

How good is Robert Carter going to be next year?

Umm, my bet is that Robert struggles mightily next year. Right now, Miller draws the attention of the defense, and Carter benefits mightily from that. Next year, Carter will be the focus, and my guess is that he will struggle (most anyone would).

This team has never had the guard play to be a legit tourney contender. It was a great win, but basketball is all about match ups, and we obviously matched up well with Syracuse without their big guy.

Still, you have to give the players and coaches credit. Most of our fans have packed it in for this year, yet obviously the team did not. They played hard, executed very well, and won the game! Good for them!! Yay GT!

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Miller was simply dictating the game...Block after block. His passing and poise was unreal. I think we underestimate how good he is...we're really going to miss him.

Carter stepped up big as well...he had some clutch shots. Loved the leaner he had.

Holsey played well! Was a big factor inside.

Golden came through big again as well. Hit some big shots and knocked the free throws down when we needed them.

Very happy to get a win like this on the road. I'm hoping it carries some momentum!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
During the second half, all I could think was "who is this team, and what have the done with the Yellow Jacket players... But I Like IT!

Seriously some of the best passing and off the ball movement for practically the entire game.

There is no argument that we will miss Daniel Miller big time next year.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I thought this might happen after last year stunning Miami at the end of the regular season.

Then, as now: Is it that Tech suddenly became good at the end of the season? Or is it that a highly ranked team was just resting up before the ACC tournament?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I thought this might happen after last year stunning Miami at the end of the regular season.

Then, as now: Is it that Tech suddenly became good at the end of the season? Or is it that a highly ranked team was just resting up before the ACC tournament?

I think it's neither. We played a good game against a struggling team who probably never was as good as their ranking/record indicated. Actually I think that was also the case last year vs. Miami.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I think it's neither. We played a good game against a struggling team who probably never was as good as their ranking/record indicated. Actually I think that was also the case last year vs. Miami.
I agree. Im happy about the win and we did play extremely well tonight... But Syracuse is really struggling right now and just arent as good without Grant. Period. Call me when we steal a game or 2 from UNC and/or Duke every 4 or 5 years. That would be a huge accomplishment.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I agree. Im happy about the win and we did play extremely well tonight... But Syracuse is really struggling right now and just arent as good without Grant. Period. Call me when we steal a game or 2 from UNC and/or Duke every 4 or 5 years. That would be a huge accomplishment.

I didn't want to be the guy to downplay the outcome due to my split allegiances, but the above is true. The perceived significance is still there though. Syracuse is a brand name team and all anyone will remember is that they were top 10 when GT beat them.

The reality is that the product Syracuse is putting on the floor the last several weeks is not a top 25 team, let alone top 10. What happened yesterday was their worst performance of the season (to GT's credit to a degree). The Miami team that GT beat last year was better than Syracuse yesterday.

With that all of that out of the way there are MANY positive things to objectively take away. Gregory outcoached Boeheim yesterday. Period. The GT players outplayed Syracuse, depsite having only 2 players would even crack Syracuse's rotation (Miller and Carter). GT earned it and deserved to win.

Having watched dozens of games of both teams this year it didn't seem possible that GT's best performance could overcome Syracuse's worst. GT won, did it with uncharacteristic poise, and the team and fans deserve to walk away celebrating.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I didn't want to be the guy to downplay the outcome due to my split allegiances, but the above is true. The perceived significance is still there though. Syracuse is a brand name team and all anyone will remember is that they were top 10 when GT beat them.

The reality is that the product Syracuse is putting on the floor the last several weeks is not a top 25 team, let alone top 10. What happened yesterday was their worst performance of the season (to GT's credit to a degree). The Miami team that GT beat last year was better than Syracuse yesterday.

With that all of that out of the way there are MANY positive things to objectively take away. Gregory outcoached Boeheim yesterday. Period. The GT players outplayed Syracuse, depsite having only 2 players would even crack Syracuse's rotation (Miller and Carter). GT earned it and deserved to win.

Having watched dozens of games of both teams this year it didn't seem possible that GT's best performance could overcome Syracuse's worst. GT won, did it with uncharacteristic poise, and the team and fans deserve to walk away celebrating.

Great post. Kudos on the perspective.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Having watched dozens of games of both teams this year it didn't seem possible that GT's best performance could overcome Syracuse's worst.
This game was tailor made for a GT win. Unfortunately BC ruined what could have been the ultimate upset. This team wins games like this which is frustrating because they're just as likely to get rolled by VT.

For the dissatisfied football crowd, this is what you want right? A team that can knock off the big boys but doesn't necessarily win them all and craps themselves sometimes along the way.