GT COACHING HISTORY

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I keep hearing that Chan Gailey was a great recruiter. How can you run a pro style offense, be a great recruiter, and not have one good Pro Style QB?

GT18YJ

Georgia Tech Fan
Sorry, I do not. I believe he coached at this small Christian school just a couple of years.
Coach Fulcher had semi-retired (went back to Augusta when needed) and bought a condo in Daytona Beach. He took a job at Father Lopez Catholic high School where he had a 3-5-1 record (around 1995). After the one year, he had to return to Augusta for business and is still in commercial real estate. By the way, I have never read an article about the '72 ugag/Liberty Bowl story that got everything right.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Coach Fulcher had semi-retired (went back to Augusta when needed) and bought a condo in Daytona Beach. He took a job at Father Lopez Catholic high School where he had a 3-5-1 record (around 1995). After the one year, he had to return to Augusta for business and is still in commercial real estate. By the way, I have never read an article about the '72 ugag/Liberty Bowl story that got everything right.
Good reply. Thanks!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The original premise was that the four players mentioned didn't account for the 11-3 record. Even if I buy your argument that the 2009 and 2011 offenses are the same, that discounts the two players on defense and their considerable contributions to our record in 08 and 09. If the issue is defense - as you say, then we have to determine how important Derrick Morgan and Morgan Burnett were to the 09 ACC championship. Both of those guys have to be in the discussion of the best players at their position in the history of GT football. You simply cannot overstate or overestimate their importance. Football may be a team sport, but championships are won by big time players making big time plays in big time games. I think you would have to agree that we are lacking in the big time player department, and that almost certainly has to be one of the leading causes of our 28-25 record over the last four years. If not, we will just have to agree to disagree.
The only team in the history of the NFL ever to win every single game including the super bowl had no star players on it's vaunted defense. Do you know what year that was? Do you know the nick name for that defense and who gave it to them?

1972 Miami Dolphins "No Name Defense"
The No-Name Defense led the 1972 Miami Dolphins to the only undefeated season in NFL history. Individually, they may not have been stars but, as a unit, they were one of the best. The No-Name Defense moniker was coined by Dallas Cowboys coach Tom Landry. Just before his Cowboys were to meet the Dolphins inSuper Bowl VI, at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans, Landry was asked a question about the Dolphin' defense, which had only allowed a total of 174 points in the regular season. Landry said "I can't recall their names but they are a matter of great concern to us." From that point forward, the defense crafted by Defensive Coordinator Bill Arnsparger of DE Vern Den Herder, DT Manny Fernandez, DT Bob Heinz, DE Bill Stanfill, LB Doug Swift, LB Nick Buoniconti, LB Mike Kolen, CB Tim Foley, CB Curtis Johnson, SS Jake Scott, and FS **** Anderson became the No-Name Defense and took their rightful role in NFL historical records.

GT18YJ

Georgia Tech Fan
Bill Fulcher supplanted Bud Carson. Fulcher appeared to be the right choice but quit after two seasons, overwhelmed by the Tech fan base. Fulcher's tenure included a terrible feud with Eddie McAshan, which peaked before the 1972 UGA game. McAshan had requested additional tickets for the game so that his family could attend. Fulcher refused the ticket request and McAshan sat out of practice in protest.[19] Fulcher responded by suspending the quarterback for the UGA game and the upcoming Liberty Bowl. The story exploded on the national scene when Jesse Jackson attended the UGA game, allowing McAshan to sit with him outside of the stadium in protest.
I'm not sure where this article comes from, but it is an example of how the writers get things wrong.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
GT18YJ: It came from the same source in a reply several spots above this one with the title of "Some More History While Researching Fulcher". It may have been from Tech History (I don't really remember). I copied and pasted it. It was between the Carson article and the Pepper Rodgers article. I removed it from that article and placed it with the Records I found on Fulcher.

By the way, I believe it is correct; that is the way I remember reading it in the news at that time.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
GT18YJ: It came from the same source in a reply several spots above this one with the title of "Some More History While Researching Fulcher". It may have been from Tech History (I don't really remember). I copied and pasted it. It was between the Carson article and the Pepper Rodgers article. I removed it from that article and placed it with the Records I found on Fulcher.

By the way, I believe it is correct; that is the way I remember reading it in the news at that time.
There are several mistakes in that article.

GT18YJ

Georgia Tech Fan
Bill Fulcher supplanted Bud Carson. Fulcher appeared to be the right choice but quit after two seasons, overwhelmed by the Tech fan base. Fulcher's tenure included a terrible feud with Eddie McAshan, which peaked before the 1972 UGA game. McAshan had requested additional tickets for the game so that his family could attend. Fulcher refused the ticket request and McAshan sat out of practice in protest.[19] Fulcher responded by suspending the quarterback for the UGA game and the upcoming Liberty Bowl. The story exploded on the national scene when Jesse Jackson attended the UGA game, allowing McAshan to sit with him outside of the stadium in protest.

There are at least five mistakes in that short paragraph.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Well, Fulcher's last season at GT was 1973 and I thought he went into real estate in the Augusta area. Nor sure.

He would have been a little long in the teeth to go back in the 90's to coach, but that is interesting to know.

As another poster referred to, I don't think curry was Dodd's choice. I heard he wanted Spurrier but, just like when he wanted Dickey to replace him, he was overruled by God knows who insisting we had to have a "Tech Man", whether he could coach or not.

Man we have hurt ourselves so needlessly.
He did and has done well with it......Dodd said that Fulcher wanted to quit after his first year but Dodd convinced him to stay.......not a bad coach but of course the Eddie McShan incident took lot out of him.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Gosh guys good points on the coaches we have had in the past and now.I always thought Dodd wanted somebody other than Bud to be the HC.Bud was great as evident by super bowl rings on the defense but his attitude was so much different than Dodd and from what I hear from players .....they didnt really put out after year three.Lewis was disaster.......he had great year with what Eastern Carolina and many of us thought he would kill georgie in recruiting...folks forget he had bunch of talent with Jones etc but I never thought he was in charge like Ross and GOL.GOL was smarter than we think....he can coach Defense but he was smart enough to let Ralphie run the offense and it showed.I think Ralph would be my choice to put life blood in the program at tech.He was wide open and had so many plays that were so much fun to watch.....kids I think would flock to a wide open program...yeah I know his health is bad but love to see him back on the flats.Chan was his own worst enemy at times to the press.He still had better athletes than PJ but we know we had no qb to run his offense....good qb with Choice and CJ and who knows ?

PJ is good coach no matter what fault we find with him.I think he needs a OC rather than call plays by himself since to me it takes him away from the total going on of the game on the field.He has a offense that was great at GSU and that is Ga Southern Univ,good at Navy but the skill on the opponent side of the ball is killing us with this offense.Folks forget that Bama,Auburn,MSU,Texas,Nebraska,Oklahoma ran the option for a period of time and did well but when they didnt get the stud qb like Ham of GSU or hoss like Adrian Petterson they had to change.Now doubt PJ will go to spread offense but its clear to me that we need to do something to get our team going....Even Dodd after finding no qb in late fifties changed offenses........

GT18YJ

Georgia Tech Fan
He did and has done well with it......Dodd said that Fulcher wanted to quit after his first year but Dodd convinced him to stay.......not a bad coach but of course the Eddie McShan incident took lot out of him.
It was actually after Spring practice of '73 but Dodd told him he had to stay until the end of the '73 season because he couldn't hire someone in the spring.

GT18YJ

Georgia Tech Fan
Gosh guys good points on the coaches we have had in the past and now.I always thought Dodd wanted somebody other than Bud to be the HC.......

Dodd wanted Dickey and told Dickey to get together all of his Tennessee asst coaches that he wanted to bring to Tech and wait for the call that night. Bud Carson had gotten in good with Tech's pres (Harrison, I think) and got the job instead.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
augustabuzz & GT18YJ: The information quoted about Bill Fulcher was taken from Georgia Tech records, but I retreived it through Wikipedia. Go to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Fulcher. It gives a lot of information on Bill Fulcher, and there is a link from there to some records from Georgia Tech. On the upper right table (Bill Fulcher), you will see 1972-1973 Georgia Tech. Click on the Georgia Tech link, and it will bring up the whole history of Georgia Tech coaches from the GT Site. Scroll down to Dodd's Shadow: 1967-1986 and you will find the information starting with Bud Carson, and Bill Fulcher after him.

I am not the one to say if this information is right or wrong posted in the GT Archives, but it remains as I copied it from GT. If it is wrong, then you may want to verify the parts in error and report it to Georgia Tech for correction.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
GT highlight film from 1972 featuring Coach Bill Fulcher. Roughly 26 minutes total footage. Victories over South Carolina, Michigan State, Clemson, Tulane, Boston College and Navy. (No footage of Liberty Bowl victory over Iowa State).

Pt. 1
Pt. 2

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
A story ran in the ajc that the reason Fulcher quit at Tech is that he found out he was the lowest paid head coach in the southeast. Got teed off and resigned and went to work for Cousins.

"Bill’s career in real estate began in 1972 with Cousins Properties in Atlanta. After moving to Augusta, Georgia, he joined Sherman & Hemstreet Real Estate Company in 1976 and became the company’s broker. Bill joined Meybohm Commercial Properties in 2006. He is a Life Member of the Million Dollar Club."

http://meybohmcommercial.com/propertysearch.php?agent=Fulcher

GT18YJ

Georgia Tech Fan
A story ran in the ajc that the reason Fulcher quit at Tech is that he found out he was the lowest paid head coach in the southeast. Got teed off and resigned and went to work for Cousins.

http://meybohmcommercial.com/propertysearch.php?agent=Fulcher

That is not the reason he left coaching. The statement that "his heart wasn't in coaching" was probably fairly accurate and there were probably a couple of things that led to it. But, there is one main reason (not the MacAshan episode although that may have contributed) which caused it. I have posted bits and pieces of the ugag/Liberty Bowl story (as I remember it) in the past, but because of all the incorrect information put out by different people for many years, I am going to take the time to write the whole thing down. I'll let Coach Fulcher edit/add anything he wants and if he wants the reason that he quit in there, it will be there.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
That is not the reason he left coaching. The statement that "his heart wasn't in coaching" was probably fairly accurate and there were probably a couple of things that led to it. But, there is one main reason (not the MacAshan episode although that may have contributed) which caused it. I have posted bits and pieces of the ugag/Liberty Bowl story (as I remember it) in the past, but because of all the incorrect information put out by different people for many years, I am going to take the time to write the whole thing down. I'll let Coach Fulcher edit/add anything he wants and if he wants the reason that he quit in there, it will be there.

Wonderful idea. That would sure beat what we have been doing which sounds like, at least on my part, just passing on info that may be inaccurate.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Plus one! Georgia Southern was GSU, before that school downtown got a dorm.
Hate to break it to you, but Georgia State University has been GSU since 1970. Southern changed from Georgia Southern College in 1990. They've got 20 years of being GSU over GS.

Also, muktiple degree granting schools makes you a university, not dorms.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
AH shoot guys I remember when Southern was .......ga teachers college.....All I know is we called ga southern....ga southern foe long time during the 60s.We thought it was such a stretch for them to play college football...man we were so wrong.