gt @ clemson

• Highlight

Yellow Jackets Head to Littlejohn

MIAMI, FL – DECEMBER 01: James Banks III #1 of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets celebrates with Michael Devoe #0 against the St. John’s Red Storm during the HoopHall Miami Invitational at American Airlines Arena on December 1, 2018 in Miami, Florida. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)

At 10-6 (2-1), some might consider Georgia Tech to be the surprise of the ACC. They are a couple of free throws and layups away from being 11-5 (3-0). Coming off of an impressive win at the Carrier Dome, Josh Pastner’s feisty bunch head to Clemson on Wednesday. Littlejohn Coliseum has not been friendly to Georgia Tech over the years, the last win coming in 2005.

The Tigers are led by longtime coach Brad Brownell, who has a shiny new contract extension. He is 159-119 overall and 67-76 in league play during his tenure.

Clemson 10-6 (0-3) came into the season with high expectations after a sweet 16 appearance in 2017-18. They eventually fell in the dance to Kansas but were impressive in the loss. Gabe Devoe and D’onte Grantham are long gone, but Marcquise Reed, Shelton Mitchell and Eli Thomas remain. Reed, an all-ACC guard is a stud both offensively and defensively, playing the passing lanes aggressively leading to easy buckets. Thomas, who suffered a foot injury in the preseason, came into the season a little out of shape but has still been effective. He is averaging a career high in points at 13.2, but his rebounding and block numbers are both down from last year.

Shelton Mitchell has been the most disappointing of the trio. The historically steady guard is posting lower than expected numbers across the board following a very productive junior campaign. In conference play so far he’s averaged just 7.0 points and 2.0 assists in over 28 minutes per game. His 29% from deep and 24% overall are by far career lows.

While the Tigers’ Kenpom number is still a respectable 47, their best wins are Lipscomb at home and Georgia on a neutral floor. Those are not exactly needle movers, though Lipscomb is a tournament team. The biggest difference from last year to this year can be boiled down to turnovers and shooting. Clemson’s turnover rate is nearly 21%, up from 17.5% last year, ranking 269th in the nation. Last season, the Tigers shot 36.6% from deep; this year only 30.6%.

If you look at individual match-ups, you would give Clemson the edge all day. Reed, Thomas and Mitchell are household names to any ACC fan who pays attention, but the on-court performance hasn’t quite been there this year. Combine that with the fact that Brad Brownell never knows what he will get out of sophomore forward Aamir Simms and it is difficult to trust the Tigers regardless of venue. In their three conference losses this year they have averaged a dreadful 54.7 ppg.

I’m going with the good guys here. Georgia Tech is long past due to get a win at Littlejohn. Jose Alvarado and Mike Devoe have been very good lately outside of Devoe’s shooting woes. Coach Pastner shortened the rotation against Syracuse and the results were impressive. Trusting a Tech team on the road is always shaky, especially after they just landed a big road win, but I like our coaching and I like our guards. Keep the rotation short, don’t let Reed take over the game and we get out of town with a W.

Last edited:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Where is Haywood? Showed great hands on D and drilled a couple triples to end the half and just......nada in the 2nd. Moseshad a nice 90 seconds sure but.....

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Where is Haywood? Showed great hands on D and drilled a couple triples to end the half and just......nada in the 2nd. Moseshad a nice 90 seconds sure but.....

I agree. Already short 2 and seemed we were searching for a 5 that would play. Why wouldn’t you go with the 5 that made the run at end of 1st half? And then not getting banks the ball until late was not good.

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Littlejohn. I’ve seen price and salley lose there, Kenny A, Bosh, etc. Wasn’t surprised we lost but getting down 20-2 wasn’t what I expected after last 3 games.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Hated to see us blow it after halftime. Some of our guys have flashes where they look great, but they lack confidence. Some need to be a little more selfish at times...Devoe and Moore in particular.

Don’t quite understand why we weren’t fouling when we cut it to 8, but it probably wouldn’t have mattered anyway.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clemson is a capable team and they played well on offense and defense. They also looked prepared to me.

/

For sure.. we knew that they were going to be prepared and play hard, but I didn't expect them to be so sharp offensively. It didn't help that we came out super flat as I had feared.

Kudos to the guys for waking up and making a run, but we came out with another slow start in the second half. Clemson made their 3's in the second half and kept the lead stretched.

That was that... Let's rebound with a big effort on Saturday.

slugboy

Staff member
I watched the first half. Clemson played aggressive defense all the way down the court. Devoe had a steal and normally a gimme layup where he got harassed all the way to the basket and ended up taking free throws instead. If I were going to pick a moment to represent the game, I'm not sure if I'd pick that, or Banks trying to lay up under the basket and being too boxed in to be able to, or one of our backcourt dribbling near the top of the arc trying to find a gap and not finding one. I think I'll pick Clemson hitting a 3 from 5 feet outside the arc, instead.

Tip of the hat to Clemson. They played really well.

For some reason, I feel like this was the game where we needed our bigs to assert themselves and make space under the basket, and lead us in scoring and rebounding. I suppose it's also possible that if the entire backcourt was moving and dribbling and passing like Alvarado, where Clemson needed to take away more than one point guard, then we would have been able to thump them. (I'm back to the fantasy of having more than one point guard-level player. )

Also, defense wasn't up to our normal standards. I'm not sure why. If we'd played defense like they did, it would have been a much different game.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I remember watching Jose run all around our half of the court without the ball trying to shake that 6'8 guy guarding him. How come the other guys did not cut/move like that without the ball? He may have had an off night but he sure played with hard effort.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
A lot went wrong last nite. Knowing today about players out and others with injuries makes more sense why. We were really suffering.
I thought Ogbando showed huge potential and should be given more consideration for starting alongside Banks. That would be a powerful combo. It seemed he guarded better than anyone else and by dominating the center, he allowed the rest of the team to move more freely.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Their big man was giving us trouble everywhere. They showed one replay where he arm checked 3 of our guys on his way through to get under the bucket and then had a foul called on Banks. He was also jumping into screens and our guys were getting hit before his feet hit the ground. Pastner was screaming for a call for the first 10 minutes of the game, but I guess he gave up. The officiating was pretty evenly called, but it's hard when calls across the league are so drastically different. It seems some games if we breath too hard it's a foul and others you can do whatever you want as long as there isn't a weapon in your hand.

Clemson made some ridiculous shots in the opening few minutes and held on any time we made a run. Pastner did a great job trying to get something going with the roster. IMO Khalid Moore should have gotten even more minutes than he did. That guy is going to be a terror in years to come.