GT - Clemson postgame thread

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Chris Milton missed an easy tackle and the PR got about 15 yards I think after. We blocked horribly on KR IMO. I saw guys just miss their assignments.

We fumbled like 3 KR's with no one near them. The coverage on kicks was pretty bad twice. I don't remember them all without watching it again but I thought it looked pretty bad to me. Especially KR.

Can't disagree with your assessment. On the whole though I think there has been a marked improvement compared to last season. I think CDW has made solid strides this year and maybe just took it on the chin a bit yesterday.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely can't take nerves out the equation. There was some weird voodoo last night, our poor performance aside. It was strange how many guys were slipping and sliding on the field.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
The offense is the first quarter is what killed us. I think they only had 3 yards? Or something like that.

After that the offense played better.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Am I crazy or did Vad look "different" in the 2nd half of the game? I thought he was stepping up into the pocket and making very quick decisions especially in the passing game. I'm guessing it may have been because the coaches have told him that the wheel route has been open all game.

Except for this one pass play to Bostic where it looked like Vad was staring at him for an eternity while trying to decide whether or not he really wanted to dump the pass off to him.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Am I crazy or did Vad look "different" in the 2nd half of the game? I thought he was stepping up into the pocket and making very quick decisions especially in the passing game. I'm guessing it may have been because the coaches have told him that the wheel route has been open all game.

Except for this one pass play to Bostic where it looked like Vad was staring at him for an eternity while trying to decide whether or not he really wanted to dump the pass off to him.

I thought this too. He was going through his progressions and was actually picking apart the zone on the wheel routes. I loved the first first down of the game where they stunted the option play and threw the quick 10 yard pass to Waller. One more summer with Whitfield should help him. Also throwing the ball 23 times helps him get something going. We'll need to throw it that many times to get UGA out of the box and open up the option. Clearly Vad was much more comfortable even when the scoreboard showed it wasn't a game when he could throw it around a bit. I'm a Vad fan though and am likely looking for any silver lining.

On another note, not sure if anyone has heard Clemson's local broadcast but their announcers aren't that bad. Long story short, I was driving when the game started and had to listen on XM radio where the local broadcast was being played. Anyway for anyone that watches Eastbound and Down, their color guy sounds exactly like Kenny Powers. If you get a chance to hear him it's pretty entertaining. Also it was only 6-0 at most when I heard him so I could tolerate it...

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
I think the more we run the offense the way we did the better it would get and would suit Vads abilities a lot more I don't think he will ever be great at running the option but mixing in the pass plays like we did in the second half would have to open it up more. It seemed like they had 2 guys for the pitch and one on Vad the whole game until we started hitting some pass plays.

ToddM

I have been a huge advocate of this offense and CPJ in general over the years mainly because I think the offense fits our recruiting expectations BUT, last night bothered me more than any beat down we have gotten. I had a huge problem watching us forcing the run when Clemson was bringing everyone up. The short pass game simply isn't there. No slants, no crossing patterns no square in routes no nothing. In my view this was all on CPJ. He showed stubbornness and refused to take what they were giving.

I think this game bothered me because I really think Tech has the players for either set. Option or Pro. Vad can throw the ball and Smelter isn't the only one who can catch, although Waller should be a FS because he is good at knocking the ball down. This team should be able to dis spell the constant critic that they cannot pass, they have the players to do it ! Is there any reason CPJ could not make quick throws out of the diamond ? Or just run SG ? It would have stopped the blocking issue and Clemson would have had to keep the safeties and corners back. Humm then they could have ran the damn ball !

I saw stubbornness last night not game strategy, that pisses me off and I like CPJ.

If Ga beats us down like Miami, Clemson and BYU have or if the line kills us like they did in The Va Tech game and CPJ continues to force the team to play off its weakest scheme (right now the option) rather than putting 3 wides in and opening it up, I will convert. It will be time for him to move on. His BS trying to tell the halftime reporter that the offense was backed up with bad field position the entire first half as if that killed the running game and his game plan. F ing excuse CPJ, the bad field position was caused by inept clumsy players and every team RUNS the ball in bad field position ! That's how they get out of it ! This team should excel in bad field position instances, YOU/Y'all are suppose to be adept at RUNNING THE DAMN BALL !!!!!!

And don't get me wrong I think the players need a kick in the *** too. They looked like a really bad high school talent wise. Tripping, stumbling, no athletic motor skills. Freezing up during the play, lazy, slow.

I am telling you, because of this performance if I were coach I would start Beyerly against Alabama A & M. Matter of fact every non redshirt true freshman would start. I would tell the "good" players that when they act like they have been on a GD football field they can get on mine.

I know egotistical right ? Maybe but some messages need to be sent, RIGHT NOW DAMN IT !!!!

Man now my blood pressure is up, I got a headache. DAMN IT !

Oh yeah, one more thing SCREW POLLECK or however he spells his damn name, I think ESPN puts him on our games because he likes being a narcissistic, sarcastic a hole about Tech.
And F. Georgia too !

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I know everybody loves my points per possession efficiency stat.

Before this last game:
GT O: 2.89 pts/drive; GT D: 1.57 ppd allowed
CU O: 2.60 PPD; CU D: 1.36 PPD allowed

This Game
GT: 2.21 PPD
CU: 4.23 PPD

In other words, although CU's D held us below our average PPD, we did more than 160% better than their D has allowed before our game.

In contrast, CU did more 270% better than our D had allowed. They scored on 9 of their 13 possessions. They ran 67 plays against our defense. Before that game, opposing offenses averaged 63 plays per game so it's not like they just beat us because our guys were tired. GT won the time of possession 34.5 min to 25.5 min.

I wonder/suspect (although I haven't gone back to look) that Clemson took advantage of hurry-up when we had personnel on the field that they felt they could exploit.

Imo, the tale of the game was Boyd and his receivers. He made some incredible throws when we had good coverage and made us pay we blew coverage.

We'll get them next year when our QB is more experienced and our D is healthier.