GT @ Clemson, Friday February 12th @ 8pm (ACCN)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

What exactly makes you think that is GOOD news? if we lose(and I suspect we will....and the excuse will be "tired legs") then the suck will just get worse.

I just feel bad for Jose. He is a warrior and deserves so much better than ....this.

“/“. He was making a joke. And a damned good joke at that. **** the ACC scheduling.

GT_EE78

Banned
You don’t think he tries to get the best players he can every single year? LOL
I didn't say that he doesn't.It seems that you're trying to put words in my mouth.
I'm sure he does but trying and achieving aren't the same thing.
one lone four star High-school recruit in 5 years just isn't enough to improve the program
(yes i know,2 are coming in)
I think CJP made good decisions getting each of our transfers,especially Usher
just bad luck that 2 transfers and 2 HS recruits graduate in same year - iiwii

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He needs to create a culture and roster that relies on a core, utilizes a reserve, and grooms the next class for the backfill and logic would say that’s the 8 to 9 guys, and likely a 10th because of a potential injury during season.

Do you not see the irony in posting about the "feeling" not being the way to go and then posting that? Because that is entirely feel based. Just go look at how the top teams are playing their minutes and you'll see FSU is the outlier. 8 is on the top end for most and not even FSU goes 10 meaningfully.

In any case you are separating roles that are usually filled by the same players. For example Sturdivant is both a core player, a reserve, and a part of the group that will fill for the losses after this year. Same with Moore. And the grooming the next class to backfill is almost always done primarily in practice or in highschool.

Deleted member 2897

I didn't say that he doesn't.It seems that you're trying to put words in my mouth.
I'm sure he does but trying and achieving aren't the same thing.
one lone four star High-school recruit in 5 years just isn't enough to improve the program
(yes i know,2 are coming in)
I think CJP made good decisions getting each of our transfers,especially Usher
just bad luck that 2 transfers and 2 HS recruits graduate in same year - iiwii

I’m not putting words in your mouth, you’re doing it to yourself. You just said one lone 4-star recruit in 5 years. He has 3 just this year alone. 🤷‍♂️

Devoe, Saba, and Alvarado were also 4-stars, although it looks like 247 downgraded Saba before he arrived on campus. Saba was top 100 when he committed.

And a couple 4-star transfers to boot. So we’re up to 8 4-star players, 6 out of high school. It’s not just 1. 👎

GT_EE78

Banned
I’m not putting words in your mouth, you’re doing it to yourself. You just said one lone 4-star recruit in 5 years. He has 3 just this year alone. 🤷‍♂️

Devoe, Saba, and Alvarado were also 4-stars, although it looks like 247 downgraded Saba before he arrived on campus. Saba was top 100 when he committed.

And a couple 4-star transfers to boot. So we’re up to 8 4-star players, 6 out of high school. It’s not just 1. 👎
this is cjp's 6th year of recruiting so Obviously i wasn't counting this years class( i even pointed that out)
You're caught gas lighting yet again
check the 247 board again. Devoe is the only HS 4star
👎

Deleted member 2897

this is cjp's 6th year of recruiting so Obviously i wasn't counting this years class( i even pointed that out)
You're caught gas lighting yet again
check the 247 board again. Devoe is the only HS 4star
👎

This is his 5th recruiting class. Obviously you didn’t include our current class or transfers or changes in ratings, because they all ruin your excessively negative and incorrect assertion.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think all the seniors come back - even Wright. Why wouldn't they? They are good players but not NBA players - another year to show that they are NBA ready. Alvarado probably has the least to gain but even he could use some more learning and showcasing. Moses Wright might have the most talent but he plays young. He needs to learn some ball fake skills. His jam it over the top mentality will not work in the NBA. He also needs to prove he is a smart player. Right now he is not and make mental errors like not getting in the front court. With more play, he might be able to gain "the smart player" label like a Simms. It took Simms some time to earn that label. Usher's play has been good lately but early in the year he was very erratic and out of control at times. Another year playing like he is now could greatly enhance his value and he could also work on his shot. I personally do not believe Alvarado, Wright or Usher are ready for pro basketball - even if in China or eastern Eurupe.

Bubba should come back as well - why not?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I think all the seniors come back - even Wright. Why wouldn't they? They are good players but not NBA players - another year to show that they are NBA ready. Alvarado probably has the least to gain but even he could use some more learning and showcasing. Moses Wright might have the most talent but he plays young. He needs to learn some ball fake skills. His jam it over the top mentality will not work in the NBA. He also needs to prove he is a smart player. Right now he is not and make mental errors like not getting in the front court. With more play, he might be able to gain "the smart player" label like a Simms. It took Simms some time to earn that label. Usher's play has been good lately but early in the year he was very erratic and out of control at times. Another year playing like he is now could greatly enhance his value and he could also work on his shot. I personally do not believe Alvarado, Wright or Usher are ready for pro basketball - even if in China or eastern Eurupe.

Bubba should come back as well - why not?
The glue holding the Seniors together is Jose. Jose has an actual family now that he needs to support with money. He needs to leave and the rest of them will take that as sign that it's time to break up the band.

I'm a bit confused by this Seniors returning chatter anyway. I thought the only way you got another year of eligibility was if your team played less than half of its originally scheduled games. We're penned to play well over half (fingers crossed).

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm a bit confused by this Seniors returning chatter anyway. I thought the only way you got another year of eligibility was if your team played less than half of its originally scheduled games. We're penned to play well over half (fingers crossed).

I've not heard of anything like that. link

"The NCAA’s Division I Council voted to give eligibility relief to winter-sport athletes regardless of how many games they play during the 2020-21 academic year. Athletes now have the opportunity to play five seasons within a six-year span rather than the typical four seasons in five years."

In any case, I don't expect Jose or Moses to return. They might, but they've played the full 4 years as normal. I could see Usher or Parham considering it since it would basically be what would normally happen with transfers except they got to play a bit extra. Still, I wouldn't bank on it and let it be a nice surprise if it happens. I think anyone trying to gain insight into motivations for staying or leaving are having a practice in futility.

Oddly enough, I think of the possible returnees Usher or Moses might be bigger than Jose just because I think Kyle taking over for Jose with the addition of Coleman is a better solution than probably Moore at the 4 full time. Put either Usher or Moses at the 4 on next years team with Kyle running the show and Coleman and Devoe rounding out the scoring makes for a nice line up to allow for whichever center is more ready to step in without too much pressure. But obviously, I wouldn't turn Jose away to say the least.

GT_EE78

Banned
This is his 5th recruiting class. Obviously you didn’t include our current class or transfers or changes in ratings, because they all ruin your excessively negative and incorrect assertion.
Count again. Jose and Moses were four years ago.
CJP's 5 year ago group was late session only and included a guard(Moore i think) a forward and two grad xfers
sorry to have triggered you with an accurate assertion

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Moses is built to play NBA but there are lots of guys like him out there. I don't think another year helps him. He should be playing PF. Jose will likely go make some money somewhere. Not sure about NBA but he has lots of skills. Devoe has actually improved his ball handling since his freshman year especially with his right hand. He has a legit chance at the NBA. All could end up on the G league. Usher has an NBA body but may need to improve his outside shot. He has a lot of pro potential. If Devoe and usher return and can get a solid center we could be decent next year. Devoe might have to run the point. If they all go then it will be a major rebuild next year and a long season.

Deleted member 2897

Count again. Jose and Moses were four years ago.
CJP's 5 year ago group was late session only and included a guard(Moore i think) a forward and two grad xfers
sorry to have triggered you with an accurate assertion
The main thing you are correct about is if you ignore most of the dataset. So keep insisting you’re correct based on that - who gives a ****.

Our 2021 class is all signed. Even just 5 years ago at this time Josh Pastner wasn’t hired yet. Why are you giving him credit for people who signed before he was here and not crediting him with people he signed once he’s been here? Sure he went out and tried to find some stragglers later after that 2016 signing period. But saying that was his class (when people like Okogie and Matthew’s clearly weren’t) is being disingenuous.

Ignoring Rivals ranks Alvarado as a 4-star is disingenuous. Ignoring Saba was a high 4-star when he signed is disingenuous. Ignoring 3 guys that signed 3 months ago that are all 4-stars is disingenuous. Ignoring a couple 4-star transfers is disingenuous.

But you are 100% correct - ignoring all of those details, you are in fact correct.

This is a Georgia Tech fan board. Who the **** goes that far out of his way to ignore data to make a negative point?

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Moses is built to play NBA but there are lots of guys like him out there. I don't think another year helps him. He should be playing PF. Jose will likely go make some money somewhere. Not sure about NBA but he has lots of skills. Devoe has actually improved his ball handling since his freshman year especially with his right hand. He has a legit chance at the NBA. All could end up on the G league. Usher has an NBA body but may need to improve his outside shot. He has a lot of pro potential. If Devoe and usher return and can get a solid center we could be decent next year. Devoe might have to run the point. If they all go then it will be a major rebuild next year and a long season.
I agree on Mike at the point. He isn’t quick enough to beat anyone off the dribble and if he’s having an off night his body language and attitude are terrible. Can’t have that in your point guard.

Deleted member 2897

Thank god ND didn’t get a shot off.

I felt the same way during that game (thinking "oh boy, here we go"). If they had only known that by just throwing some wild shot up it would be guaranteed to find a way to ricochet in...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I think CJP has done more good for program than given credit but obvious missteps. He’s preached old team, has it and is not winning winnable games - a concern. One little-discussed item he regularly mentions that bothers me is he likes to say he prefers a short bench. In today’s game, I think it sends message to recruits that they may not play, and it doesn’t have players ready to contribute since they get no time to get any rhythm when they are quickly pulled. Pastner has stated on radio show he doesn’t know how Leonard Hamilton can keep track of subbing that many guys. That comment is not good. I’m disappointed by Pastner admitting he cannot adjust to landscape of game.

AND--the other downside is that he's not giving enough time to players FOR NEXT YR. He/we are hurting next yr at this point unless 2 covid SRs come back (Mo and another) and a good transfer.FR are nice but even top 10 Fr struggle.
btw--Jose is exhausted.He's got a down game coming and he had it..

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I agree on Mike at the point. He isn’t quick enough to beat anyone off the dribble and if he’s having an off night his body language and attitude are terrible. Can’t have that in your point guard.
I agree that is not his natural position but he might end up at PG at least early on. Tough for a freshman PG in the ACC unless a superstar. He may be the only option for a few games. He is more of a spot shooter but has gotten better with his ball handling. I was at the Duke game in Durham his freshman year. He was dribbling to the right of the key without much pressure on the ball and literally just lost the ball off his right hand. Almost happened a couple other times. He has really improved that part of his game since then. I also think he is one of those kids that just doesn't show his emotions. Jose will be hard to replace in lots of ways. It will be interesting to see who is at the point next year.