GT @ Clemson, Friday February 12th @ 8pm (ACCN)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The way Tech is constructed it is almost impossible to beat a good team when GT shoots below 30% 3 pointers - that’s what happened the last 2 games.

That's college basketball in general though. If one team is shooting well from 3 and the other isn't, it's damn really hard to win if the two teams are relatively similar levels. It's not like this team lacks scoring in other ways. We scored 72 against a good defense while shooting poorly. Between Moses down low, and Usher, Mike, and Jose on drives plus a sprinkling of back door cuts and points generated off our steals we can score even without shooting well from 3. But in order to offset an off night shooting and still win against good teams you have to have a level of defense that we don't have this year. That's the biggest issue the last two games. We allowed Clemson to score 48 in the second half and UVA to score 37 (which isn't terrible but not really good either). Defensively our style this year is more energy intense and pressure heavy than in years past and it has led us to being less consistent on that side of the ball because we don't have the depth to match that style.

Against Clemson in particular, the biggest reason for the loss is Jose was not anywhere close to the player he usually is. I don't know if it was just an off game or if the hit he took early on was bothering him, but regardless of how a team is put together it' hard to beat a good team, especially on the road, if your best player has that type of game.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That was the kind of win we had to have to make the dance. Absolutely no margin for error left. The way we lost on a bank shot from the parking lot could well rip the heart out of this team. Almost good that we don't have a lot of down time to worry about it. If we still play with the same heart and grit tomorrow against Pitt then kudos to CJP and the team.

Dang, I thought they played hard and were going to pull that game out. The end of the game tore me up so I know it did them.

FWIW and IMHO with the covid driven financial situation, CJP isn't going anywhere after this season. It isn't just the football commitment, it is the huge hole in the budget from no fans at the revenue sports. And unlike when we cheaped out with Gregory, this isn't a year where an AD can simply go out and fundraise to fund a move. It ain't out there right now until the outlook steadies.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When he missed the second I looked at my wife and said we’re gonna lose. Then he banks in that BS. She’s like how did you know?
It’s amazing that no matter what sport it is, I never once have felt comfortable with a lead in any game. We always find new ways to blow it.
If we’re being honest with ourselves, we all knew. I just thought it was going to be a wild floater or something.

Deleted member 2897

If we’re being honest with ourselves, we all knew. I just thought it was going to be a wild floater or something.

I thought an egregious Ted Valentine foul with 1 second left where they make both was going to be it.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
I think CJP has done more good for program than given credit but obvious missteps. He’s preached old team, has it and is not winning winnable games - a concern. One little-discussed item he regularly mentions that bothers me is he likes to say he prefers a short bench. In today’s game, I think it sends message to recruits that they may not play, and it doesn’t have players ready to contribute since they get no time to get any rhythm when they are quickly pulled. Pastner has stated on radio show he doesn’t know how Leonard Hamilton can keep track of subbing that many guys. That comment is not good. I’m disappointed by Pastner admitting he cannot adjust to landscape of game.

Deleted member 2897

On a side note to the person who roughly said “Mike Devoe doesn’t show up when we need a win the most”, we have a losing record when Devoe scores 20+ points and a winning record when he doesn’t.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This loss sucks to epic proportions, it’s probably as difficult a loss as any in recent memory. We really did need it for our resume. Despite not shooting well and being on the receiving end of another **** job by Valentine, I thought we had done enough to grind out a big W. What a heartbreaker.

That said, I think this is the type of loss that can galvanize the team and propel us on a run to finish the season. I’ll be shocked if we don’t come out with our hair on fire tomorrow. These guys will rally around Jose.

The schedule sets up for a nice run. Get hot, win out, and get one or two in the ACC Tourney and anything is possible.

Deleted member 2897

I think CJP has done more good for program than given credit but obvious missteps. He’s preached old team, has it and is not winning winnable games - a concern. One little-discussed item he regularly mentions that bothers me is he likes to say he prefers a short bench. In today’s game, I think it sends message to recruits that they may not play, and it doesn’t have players ready to contribute since they get no time to get any rhythm when they are quickly pulled. Pastner has stated on radio show he doesn’t know how Leonard Hamilton can keep track of subbing that many guys. That comment is not good. I’m disappointed by Pastner admitting he cannot adjust to landscape of game.

I don’t think it’s that simple. He’d play both Howard and Saba more if he could. Having a short bench can mean 8-9 players, just not 12. There are reasons those guys aren’t playing, Didenko, etc.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I really feel bad for Jose. He is probably really blaming himself for this one but he has been clutch in tight games before. I would not have wanted anyone else on the line in that situation. There were lots of other opportunities in a tight game that could have put it put of reach. TV teddy didn't help any either.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Dan Bonner interestingly commented that Pastner’s rotation is “Creminsesque.”
Personally, I am excited about the direction the program is heading. I am disappointed about the recent losses, but we are an upper ACC team this year. I don’t have proof of this in front of me, but we have to have a top 3 ACC schedule so far based on winning percentage. Wake is the only bottom team we’ve played, I think. I guess Notre Dame as well, but there a good team trending upward.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Bad loss no doubt. Y’all have to take into account for the way scheduling has screwed us this year. This is a solid team player development has been really good. We are getting better recruiting. Look at what he walked into... never say die. Support the program-
Yes this wasn’t a case of taking the program in a different direction. Basketball had a direction & it definitely was not good. That being said he owns the missteps under his watch that damaged the program.

I think the players like playing for him. He seems to have a solid plan each game to give us at least a chance to win even against the better teams. His recruitment is improving. The games are now watchable, even enjoyable. There’s hope for the future.

In the end our lack of $$ is going to cause us to be patient. It’s worth noting if we had $$ we wouldn’t have ended up with either Gregory or Pastner. I hope it works out. It’s really good having basketball filling the gap between football & baseball.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Bad loss no doubt. Y’all have to take into account for the way scheduling has screwed us this year. This is a solid team player development has been really good. We are getting better recruiting. Look at what he walked into... never say die. Support the program-
I support the program but also have expectations to make it to the tourney (no excuses) in year 5- it’s not over and I am hopeful. Maybe my problem is that I lived through the Cremins years and see no reason why Tech can’t be a top 5 ACC - team every year instead of the FSUs and VTs. It’s been 10 years since I’ve watched Tech in a NCAAT game.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

Personally, I don't think this is that big an issue. There are a lot more GTs, UVAs, Dukes that play 7 maybe 8 guys than there are FSUs that play 10 or 11. I took his comment about FSU as an attempt at humor more than a serious comment but that could be just me. I do think he doesn't use his bench well and it is an issue he needs to work on - and there are times his substitution patterns don't make sense to me which is part of his subbing by feel rather than a set role pattern. And last night I would have liked to have seen Moore and Sturdivent in double digit minutes. On the other hand going to a 10 man FSU rotation with this roster would have been a disaster.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well - the good news if you don't like the last game just wait a day and we'll play another one...

/
What exactly makes you think that is GOOD news? if we lose(and I suspect we will....and the excuse will be "tired legs") then the suck will just get worse.

I just feel bad for Jose. He is a warrior and deserves so much better than ....this.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
One little-discussed item he regularly mentions that bothers me is he likes to say he prefers a short bench. In today’s game, I think it sends message to recruits that they may not play, and it doesn’t have players ready to contribute since they get no time to get any rhythm when they are quickly pulled. Pastner has stated on radio show he doesn’t know how Leonard Hamilton can keep track of subbing that many guys. That comment is not good. I’m disappointed by Pastner admitting he cannot adjust to landscape of game.

A super deep bench isn't really the changing landscape. FSU is not really the standard for how things are.

Pastner may like a shorter bench but that doesn't mean he wouldn't like more options than he currently has. I'm sure he wishes he had Evan Cole to give him another experienced big body for when things go wrong. I'm sure he wishes he had another shooter off the bench to try when Mike or Bubba aren't hitting their shots. Liking a short bench is more about what you do when things are going well. If things are going well you play 6 or 7, but that doesn't mean you don't want another two or three guys you can go to if things aren't going well. So the question is, is Pastner working towards creating that situation in the future, and it certainly seems likely to me.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally, I don't think this is that big an issue. There are a lot more GTs, UVAs, Dukes that play 7 maybe 8 guys than there are FSUs that play 10 or 11. I took his comment about FSU as an attempt at humor more than a serious comment but that could be just me. I do think he doesn't use his bench well and it is an issue he needs to work on - and there are times his substitution patterns don't make sense to me which is part of his subbing by feel rather than a set role pattern. And last night I would have liked to have seen Moore and Sturdivent in double digit minutes. On the other hand going to a 10 man FSU rotation with this roster would have been a disaster.
Fair comment. However, I didn’t take it as kidding as much in context of his “feel/instinct” approach. I get riding a hot hand, but a “feel” game in/game out does not make a system and a program. It makes a decision in one man’s head, and the unknown in everyone else’s. He needs to create a culture and roster that relies on a core, utilizes a reserve, and grooms the next class for the backfill and logic would say that’s the 8 to 9 guys, and likely a 10th because of a potential injury during season.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Fair comment. However, I didn’t take it as kidding as much in context of his “feel/instinct” approach. I get riding a hot hand, but a “feel” game in/game out does not make a system and a program. It makes a decision in one man’s head, and the unknown in everyone else’s. He needs to create a culture and roster that relies on a core, utilizes a reserve, and grooms the next class for the backfill and logic would say that’s the 8 to 9 guys, and likely a 10th because of a potential injury during season.

I wouldn't go as deep in the roster as you would but I do (obviously) agree with the "feel" part of his substitutions. Most guys want to know what their role is and while it may vary by game, the 6/7 and let's throw in 8 guy function better IMHO when they know generally when they are going to get their minutes - and that they are going to get minutes. So a set but flexible based on matchups rotation early on in the game to manage minutes for the starters/playmakers and keep the bench involved. Then from a bit into the second half to the end I understand going with feel/who's hot/matchups to the end of the game. But a 6/7 guy who has no idea if or when he is going to play is a hard role to play.

If the recruits are as good as we hope next year and Maxwell is back to full strength, I hope/expect CJP with both be able to and be forced to set up more defined roles for player minutes - especially in the first half.