GT @ Clemson, Friday February 12th @ 8pm (ACCN)

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

We will be coming in on less than 2 days rest. Clemson will have been off since Saturday, 7 days earlier.

This is pretty much what we will be dealing with for the next 7-10 days. Really sucks. But 7 of the last 8 games are against teams in the bottom half of the league. We’re going to have to find a way to win despite this severe handicap.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Must win! We need wins @ Clemson and @VT to look good in the eyes of the committee. After those two, the rest of the schedule sets up nice for us to go on a run. Pitt, BC, Syracuse and Duke in ATL are all winnable (And we have to win them all) Games @ Miami and Wake do not scare me. Staying healthy and getting guys enough rest is what scares me.
I see no reason to think we can’t go at least 6-2 down the stretch. That puts us at 15-9/11-7. Win one at the ACCT and we’re in.
5-3 or worse, we probably need to get to Friday or Saturday in the tournament.
We can’t let the UVA game become two or three losses.

Deleted member 2897

Clemson is reporting that if they finish 11-7 in the ACC, they will be a 'shoe-in' for making the NCAAT. Not sure its that clear, as based on their #48 NET ranking and the fact their remaining ACC opponents only include 1 team above 0.500.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
We need the win, and we have to play the game to even have a chance at that.
Yup. The last thing we can have is less games. We need as many as we can get and win those as well. Mercer and GSU are killing us. Another game that could’ve really helped was UAB. They’re playing really well and a W there would help a lot.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Clemson is reporting that if they finish 11-7 in the ACC, they will be a 'shoe-in' for making the NCAAT. Not sure its that clear, as based on their #48 NET ranking and the fact their remaining ACC opponents only include 1 team above 0.500.
Beating them twice will be big, Along with the wins over UNC and FSU. Getting one at a ranked VT will be crucial too!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

People in hell want ice water too. I think we are much better off not playing Clemson and winning the rest of our games than we are losing the next 3 being so tired.

What are the odds of us winning on the road with 2 days rest versus Clemson (a competent 6-5 ACC team) with 7 days rest? I know the line is Clempy by 4.5.

Anyone with updated odds of us going to the NCAAs? It was ~20% before the ND win and UVa loss.

Deleted member 2897

People in hell want ice water too. I think we are much better off not playing Clemson and winning the rest of our games than we are losing the next 3 being so tired.

What are the odds of us winning on the road with 2 days rest versus Clemson (a competent 6-5 ACC team) with 7 days rest? I know the line is Clempy by 4.5.

Anyone with updated odds of us going to the NCAAs? It was ~20% before the ND win and UVa loss.

With this huge scheduling disadvantage? Feels like a coin flip. If we just beat the teams below us in the standings, we’re in the tournament. So it should be an easy ask – but our scheduling sucks donkey balls.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I think a coin flip is generous. It's very much an uphill battle between the games we have left to play and the scheduling. If you check BracketMatrix, there are a non-trivial number of teams ahead of us on the bubble that we need to jump. I think 6-2 and a win or 2 in the ACC Tournament gives us a decent shot.

Deleted member 2897

I think a coin flip is generous. It's very much an uphill battle between the games we have left to play and the scheduling. If you check BracketMatrix, there are a non-trivial number of teams ahead of us on the bubble that we need to jump. I think 6-2 and a win or 2 in the ACC Tournament gives us a decent shot.

It’s a valid feeling. Only like 1 team in our last 8 games was ahead of us in the standings. So absent the BS scheduling, that should give us a decent chance of going something like 6-2. But indeed the scheduling BS is BS and we saw what happened last time on barely 1 day’s rest.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I still think we have to win tonite. We’re running out of chances for quality wins. Winning tonite and at VT will be huge. The issue is what if a VT Syracuse or Duke go out on a Covid pause? Those are the remaining “quality” games left. I’m leaning more towards we have to win out or go 7-1 in these last 8.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
+1

for emphasis

If we don't play, we can't win

we do win enough, we can kiss the NCAA Tourney goodbye for another year unless we run the table during the ACC Tourney.

Deleted member 2897

I still think we have to win tonite. We’re running out of chances for quality wins. Winning tonite and at VT will be huge. The issue is what if a VT Syracuse or Duke go out on a Covid pause? Those are the remaining “quality” games left. I’m leaning more towards we have to win out or go 7-1 in these last 8.

We do need to win tonight, but it’s not the end if we don’t. If we go about 6-2, we will finish around 5th or 6th in the ACC and 35-40 in the NET rankings. 19 out of 20 years that would be fine. After seeing how little energy we had the last time we had 1 day of rest, I’m not optimistic about tonight.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let me be clear. I think our team is playing their butts off. And Pastner is developing into a better coach and good at developing talent.

I just think trying to paly at this level after so little rest against a roughly equivalent team is too much of an ask. Maybe if we had a really deep bench it would be less onerous.

But on the bright side, we're getting our endurance built up to win the ACC tourney. 🙏

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Navy - I hear you, but I think that we have to just get past the rest situation. It is what it is.

Their legs may be more tired, but they're going to have to play through it, and the staff has to find a way to steal some mins.

Hell, throw Maxwell in there and see if he can knock a few down, get Rodney a few here or there, sit Jose and Moses around TV timeouts.

Even at full rest, this was always going to be a tough game. We've beat them two in a row, we will get max effort.

We'll need to shoot it a really high level in our order to win tonight. It will take one of our best efforts of the year.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Clemson has been such a roller coaster team this year it is hard to figure out. Unfortunately they seem to be on the upswing part of the roller coaster which isn't what you want to see. We will have to play the same level of D we did at UVA but hit more shots. I do think the matchups will be a little easier and we won't have to see Jose on a guy like Houser.