GT = Clemson baseball in last years of Legget....

GTfan1977

Banned
I really hope TS will just end the painful streak of mediocrity over the last decade and just fire CDH at end of year. Unless Hall pullls a rabbit out of his hat and wins a regional this year then its time to get some new blood in the program.
Clemson was stuck just like us for 4-5 years in mediocrity hanging on to Legget for far too long, mark my words we will never win another regional as long as DH is at the helm.
I’m tired of watching same crap every year and we need to move on once and for all...

LibertyTurns

Banned
I really hope TS will just end the painful streak of mediocrity over the last decade and just fire CDH at end of year. Unless Hall pullls a rabbit out of his hat and wins a regional this year then its time to get some new blood in the program.
Clemson was stuck just like us for 4-5 years in mediocrity hanging on to Legget for far too long, mark my words we will never win another regional as long as DH is at the helm.
I’m tired of watching same crap every year and we need to move on once and for all...
I’m currently dealing with a long tenured team member that’s struggling massively. It’s not an easy situation as you’re dealing with current performance vs loyalty/ previous accomplishments, etc. I think & hope Coach Hall will voluntarily step down when he realizes he either can no longer drive the team’s performance at an acceptable level. We went thru this with Bobby Cremins. I personally didn’t like the way it appeared we handled it. There’s other historical examples to draw on, mostly bad transitions- Bear Bryant, Tom Landry, Bobby Bowden, Phil Fuller, Mack Brown, etc.

Our leadership team has their hands full with this one. I hope they know what they’re doing.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I understand the sentiment. Two things, however...:
(1) there is still time to see what happens this year. I’ll admit I am not optimistic either, but let’s wait and see...
(2) if it is “that time” it would be my hope that ADTS quietly sits down with Hall and persuades him to retire with his dignity intact.

I understand the sentiment. Two things, however...:
(1) there is still time to see what happens this year. I’ll admit I am not optimistic either, but let’s wait and see...
(2) if it is “that time” it would be my hope that ADTS quietly sits down with Hall and persuades him to retire with his dignity intact.
Danny isn't going anywhere until his kids are done. I strongly disagree we owe him anything. He should have been fired several years ago.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Interesting dichotomy here. In the Josh Pastner thread we’ve got people advocating loyalty to a guy who has been here 2 years because “what would it mean if GT showed him the door when there’s trouble”. On here we’ve got people wanting to run off a highly accomplished (though not lately) coach whose major failure is failing to consistently live up to our high expectations. 2 games & 5 innings into the 3rd game & the pitchforks are out.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You feel similarly to many regarding Hall. Reading through the content & tone of your posts today, I'll ask you what I'm curious about with guys who've reached the place you find yourself. How important is it to you (again... basing this on your tone) that you end up being correct & Tech's baseball season is a disappointment? When you watch a game or check a box score... will you be bothered by the team's success this year... should that occur?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You feel similarly to many regarding Hall. Reading through the content & tone of your posts today, I'll ask you what I'm curious about with guys who've reached the place you find yourself. How important is it to you (again... basing this on your tone) that you end up being correct & Tech's baseball season is a disappointment? When you watch a game or check a box score... will you be bothered by the team's success this year... should that occur?
I, for one, would be thrilled if Hall turned it around and we began playing good baseball. We are fundamentally unsound and we beat ourselves often , but if Hall changes that I’ll be thrilled.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not a realistic question. No fan could ever cheer against his team. I would be thrilled as well. One of my bucket list items is to watch my Jackets at the CWS. I couldn't get there in 2006 because I just started a new job and my mother was sick. I used to plan a vacation/time on it every year just in case. The last 8 years or so, I've realized this one may go unchecked.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not a realistic question. No fan could ever cheer against his team. I would be thrilled as well. One of my bucket list items is to watch my Jackets at the CWS. I couldn't get there in 2006 because I just started a new job and my mother was sick. I used to plan a vacation/time on it every year just in case. The last 8 years or so, I've realized this one may go unchecked.
There are close to 300 D1 baseball teams. Obviously, the majority have no shot at making it to Omaha. But it is not easy. Ga Tech is NOT in "no shot" category. But any team getting there should count themselves fortunate.

Many would say Mike Martin is the best college baseball coach of all time. He's never won the CWS. IIRC... FSU has 40 years in a row with 40 wins or more.

Let that sink in... INCREDIBLE! Yet no national title. Same can be said about getting to Omaha... it's just plain hard to do.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
There are close to 300 D1 baseball teams. Obviously, the majority have no shot at making it to Omaha. But it is not easy. Ga Tech is NOT in "no shot" category. But any team getting there should count themselves fortunate.

Many would say Mike Martin is the best college baseball coach of all time. He's never won the CWS. IIRC... FSU has 40 years in a row with 40 wins or more.

Let that sink in... INCREDIBLE! Yet no national title. Same can be said about getting to Omaha... it's just plain hard to do.

I agree with what you're saying, and some teams would LOVE to have the program we have no matter our recent results. But I wonder why some program's have better luck than ours on a constant bases or within a suitable amount of time..One thing is pitching..

No offense but I've not heard anyone say Martin and all time in the same sentence. He isn't because he hasn't gotten the title. No one remembers the 2nd place guy. We all what Ricky Bobby said.
Interesting dichotomy here. In the Josh Pastner thread we’ve got people advocating loyalty to a guy who has been here 2 years because “what would it mean if GT showed him the door when there’s trouble”. On here we’ve got people wanting to run off a highly accomplished (though not lately) coach whose major failure is failing to consistently live up to our high expectations. 2 games & 5 innings into the 3rd game & the pitchforks are out.
The standards were set before him. All good things come to an end. Josh and Danny's situation aren't even in the same universe. With your logic why was Bobby C fired then.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess my point was it was on the list because it was realistic as it happened in 1994, 2002, and 2006. We have a new bar now = make the tournament. I realize unless there is a change we are in the "no shot" category.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
No offense but I've not heard anyone say Martin and all time in the same sentence. He isn't because he hasn't gotten the title. No one remembers the 2nd place guy. We all what Ricky Bobby said.
No offense taken. & Fair enough... perhaps I "reached" to make my point. Bottom line... really REALLY good teams & programs fail to make the CWS & win it all. The expectations for our baseball program are extremely high... mainly because Jim Morris & Danny Hall were (are?) superior baseball coaches.

No offense taken. & Fair enough... perhaps I "reached" to make my point. Bottom line... really REALLY good teams & programs fail to make the CWS & win it all. The expectations for our baseball program are extremely high... mainly because Jim Morris & Danny Hall were (are?) superior baseball coaches.
I think we both agree we'd like to see the program back to where it should be.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed, CDH was very successful and thus expectations were extremely high. Even when we had Dietrich and Skole and Davies, we were fun to watch. Of course, we also had McGuire and Farmer and Pope. And seems like we were better defensively. But now, my only expectation is disappointment.

LibertyTurns

Banned

The standards were set before him. All good things come to an end. Josh and Danny's situation aren't even in the same universe. With your logic why was Bobby C fired then.
We handled the Bobby Cremins situation very poorly. If you want to point to why we can’t hire a decent coach, I’d put that way ahead of money issues. I’m not a historian, but did we have money issues when we hired Blewitt?

Contrary to what many of you think, I hope Pastner succeeds because overall that’s best for the program. I just am holding out hope that GT’s leadership has all the facts & they are the ‘best case’ many are relying on to be true here. If in fact there’s uncertainty, or God forbid they’re aware there’s fire where’s there’s currently smoke, and they’re just waiting for the verifiable facts to be made public before terminating him then we’re going to be sitting here down the road with a significant amount of fanbase rage.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I’m currently dealing with a long tenured team member that’s struggling massively. It’s not an easy situation as you’re dealing with current performance vs loyalty/ previous accomplishments, etc. I think & hope Coach Hall will voluntarily step down when he realizes he either can no longer drive the team’s performance at an acceptable level. We went thru this with Bobby Cremins. I personally didn’t like the way it appeared we handled it. There’s other historical examples to draw on, mostly bad transitions- Bear Bryant, Tom Landry, Bobby Bowden, Phil Fuller, Mack Brown, etc.

Our leadership team has their hands full with this one. I hope they know what they’re doing.
You could add Johnny Majors and Cuonzo Martin to that list. GT will probably be looking at trying to find another Baseball coach in the next year or two.

We handled the Bobby Cremins situation very poorly. If you want to point to why we can’t hire a decent coach, I’d put that way ahead of money issues. I’m not a historian, but did we have money issues when we hired Blewitt?

Contrary to what many of you think, I hope Pastner succeeds because overall that’s best for the program. I just am holding out hope that GT’s leadership has all the facts & they are the ‘best case’ many are relying on to be true here. If in fact there’s uncertainty, or God forbid they’re aware there’s fire where’s there’s currently smoke, and they’re just waiting for the verifiable facts to be made public before terminating him then we’re going to be sitting here down the road with a significant amount of fanbase rage.
In all fairness the majority of the fan base celebrated when Bobby initially took SC job and cried when he backed out and came back. He like Danny wore out their welcome. Yes Bobby is revered by many, but there was as day when he wasn't.

LibertyTurns

Banned
In all fairness the majority of the fan base celebrated when Bobby initially took SC job and cried when he backed out and came back. He like Danny wore out their welcome. Yes Bobby is revered by many, but there was as day when he wasn't.
I remember those days & it wasn’t a good chapter in the Institute’s history. The man brought the basketball program back from the dead. I’m glad I was on the other side of the world during the SCe fiasco & his retirement in 2000.