GT Air Raid

Deleted member 2897

The name “Air Raid” might seemingly imply that the ground game is merely an afterthought, but that couldn’t be further from the truth - in 2018, Patenaude utilized a balanced attack at Temple, with the Owls amassing 494 rushing attempts compared to 443 passing attempts.

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2019/6/26/18759054/key-position-battles-2019-running-back

Where are they coming up with the name "Air Raid"? I'm not sure that has any similarity to what offense we're running.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
My favorite thing about the Air Raid offense is it’s creativity and use of formations.

My brother played WR in Lincoln Riley’s Air Raid offense at ECU. If Coach P can replicate what he did at Coastal (very similar formation setups), GT fans will love it and see flashbacks of Friedgen’s offense

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
His offense definitely is a spread but he has a strong run game. I haven’t seen a lot of run option but he says his run game is based on it.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
My favorite thing about the Air Raid offense is it’s creativity and use of formations.

My brother played WR in Lincoln Riley’s Air Raid offense at ECU. If Coach P can replicate what he did at Coastal (very similar formation setups), GT fans will love it and see flashbacks of Friedgen’s offense

My favorite offense ever. Completely unpredictable, totally balanced, and, esp. with Joe Ham running it, we were never out of games late. That offense...when we got the ball, down 7 or less pts with 2 or less to go, it was surprising if we DIDN'T score. Dez White, Kelly Campbell, Kerry Watkins....

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Are we running air raid route concepts? I haven't heard that term specifically used for our offense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In 93 my son s hs ran the power i and air raid w 5 wideouts. Went texas semi finals. Then in 94 went to full air raid. Qb , bj symons went to texas tech - best game 700 yds in air.
When i saw baylor games, they hgv ad super wide ol splits. This spread out the field and made the run calls and passing reads alot easier. Baylor tried to score on every play and MOST OF ROUTES WERE VERTICAL.
It seems like the use of wide splits and vertical passing has devoled into a more conservative style. I would like to see gt try the wide splits as we have expierenced in that.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Air Raid specifically refers to a type of route tree and concepts. A pure air raid offense attacks the defense with short passes while always having a shot route on any given play. The goal is for the QB to get the ball out fast based on one read (usually the nickle). The run game of an air raid offense is usually simple, limited to inside zone.

A very common "air raid" concept that CPJ often used in his offense was the Mesh route concept. We did not really run this after 2014 favoring the drag to create the space against Man and we saw a little less zone against us with our ground game being as dominant as it was in 2014.

mesh-graphic.png

You will likely see this as a base play in our offense going forward.

In CPJ's offense, we ran this usually from either Spread, OR Spread Pistol (put in place likely for Vad Lee. notably Tevin hit Deon hill for a TD off this concept against VT that should have won the game but we lost because reasons)

The big differentiation between what we did before in the passing game and what we are about to do is the way the reads are setup for the QB.

In a run and shoot, its about the option routes to make the defense guess wrong and rely on the QB and the Receiver to make the same read if its not there, run. In an air raid, plays are designed to attack open space instead of create it if its not there, flat or throw away. Georgia Southern last season did a very good job of blending an Air Raid style passing attack with an option run attack. They didn't throw it often, but Werts did not throw an interception all year against 10 tds with his longest pass being a 61 yard wheel route to the RB off of the mess concept which basically froze the defense and turned the RB loose on a delayed wheel.

and us runnign the concept in 2012

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Air Raid specifically refers to a type of route tree and concepts. A pure air raid offense attacks the defense with short passes while always having a shot route on any given play. The goal is for the QB to get the ball out fast based on one read (usually the nickle). The run game of an air raid offense is usually simple, limited to inside zone.

A very common "air raid" concept that CPJ often used in his offense was the Mesh route concept. We did not really run this after 2014 favoring the drag to create the space against Man and we saw a little less zone against us with our ground game being as dominant as it was in 2014.

mesh-graphic.png

You will likely see this as a base play in our offense going forward.

In CPJ's offense, we ran this usually from either Spread, OR Spread Pistol (put in place likely for Vad Lee. notably Tevin hit Deon hill for a TD off this concept against VT that should have won the game but we lost because reasons)

The big differentiation between what we did before in the passing game and what we are about to do is the way the reads are setup for the QB.

In a run and shoot, its about the option routes to make the defense guess wrong and rely on the QB and the Receiver to make the same read if its not there, run. In an air raid, plays are designed to attack open space instead of create it if its not there, flat or throw away. Georgia Southern last season did a very good job of blending an Air Raid style passing attack with an option run attack. They didn't throw it often, but Werts did not throw an interception all year against 10 tds with his longest pass being a 61 yard wheel route to the RB off of the mess concept which basically froze the defense and turned the RB loose on a delayed wheel.

and us runnign the concept in 2012

This is why I love GTSwarm, and when GTSwarm is at its finest.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it: Friedgen was decades ahead of his time. Watch GT highlights during his time here and you won't be able to tell the difference between his offense, and the different offenses of today.

One of the biggest "What ifs" in GT history: What if Donnie Davis had 4 years under Friedgen? If you thought Joe Hamilton had insane numbers, imagine what a QB with Donnie's physical tools and skillset could have done. (Speaking of Davis, that was another guy who was decades ahead of his time.)

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure if Patenaude (or Long) were officially Air Raid the last few years, but I've heard Faulkner will be running Air Raid or something similar. Something to watch for...

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if Patenaude (or Long) were officially Air Raid the last few years, but I've heard Faulkner will be running Air Raid or something similar. Something to watch for...

Pat was trying to run air raid while not really being an Air raid coordinator (his native system is more of a run and shoot). Long is a more protyle power run guy.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Well heck, it's already been resurrected...

I think C-Pat really wanted to run a spread option type of offense, and I'd guess he was probably a bit shackled into running something that "looked pro". I have no idea what Chris Long was trying to run, and really don't want to revisit that particular era of Tech football.

Faulkner is definitely an Air Raid disciple, having played QB at Valdosta State under Chris Hatcher.

Q. Where did you pick up your philosophies from? Who are some mentors?

A. Where I've kind of got my background is Chris Hatcher [former Valdosta State coach], the head coach at Samford, he has a Hal Mumme and Mike Leach background. That's where I get a lot of my philosophies from and that's very similar to what Blake's been doing, the air raid type stuff. But he would be the one.
Q. How would you describe your offensive philosophy?

A. ... our philosophies are real similar, up pace, play at a fast tempo, throw the ball around, get the ball to your playmakers, keep it simple on the quarterback and just do the things that are necessary to be successful.
I think that last line, "keep it simple on the quarterback", is the real key. As many have pointed out, the Mike Leach Air Raid is somewhat similar to the Paul Johnson spread in that the goal is to do a few things, and do them really well. But you also aren't likely to see the "pure" Mike Leach Air Raid. Faulkner is definitely going to run Four Verticals and probably some zone read if the QB is capable, and will definitely have a commitment to running the ball.

(https://www.dnj.com/story/sports/co...fensive-coordinator-buster-faulkner/30851203/)

I'm excited. The Tech offense was historically bad over the past few seasons, and we're about to see a commitment to the passing game that I don't think we've seen since the day's of Friedgen.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

If you look at the OCs Key was rumored to have gone after, they were Air Raid guys. Crawford, our WR coach, has an Air Raid background. Recruits have repeatedly said GT wants to throw the ball around.

We'll see...