GT adds a second walk on today

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
This guy is a sure tackler if anything. He might not have blazing speed but the guy gets to the point of attack and the play ends there. I like seeing safeties who are great in run support.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
He does get to the point of attack in a hurry. The only thing I saw was that he might need to get more physical. That can be easily accomplished with weight training and good defensive coaching. He appears to have a tendency to tackle at the ankles each time, which is a sure tackle to tie his legs together, but some of the muscular and high stepping running backs will probably break some of those tackles. His deficiency in that area could easily be overcome.

gtdrew

Banned
These two PWO's are guys who might have gotten the last couple schollys in past years. It's a good sign for overall program depth...

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We have to like walk ons .... Godhigh, Smelter ...... our best uninjured offensive play makers last year. {OK, I stretched a bit with Smelter but he didn't commit or transfer. He was a real PWO!}

With a walk on you know that playing at GT is where they want to be. Glad to have these two!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
We have to like walk ons .... Godhigh, Smelter ...... our best uninjured offensive play makers last year. {OK, I stretched a bit with Smelter but he didn't commit or transfer. He was a real PWO!}

With a walk on you know that playing at GT is where they want to be. Glad to have these two!
Smelter was on a BB scholly and highly sought after recruit in HS. I doubt you would call him a walk on.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Did I say I like big DB's ..
Yeah I like his film better than some of these ranked kids. Good luck to the young man.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you're on an athletic scholarship and you play FB, it has to be one of the 85. Bear Bryant used to put kids on baseball scholarships to get more football players, so they changed the rules.

What I remember is CPJ gave Smelter a 1 yr. FB scholarship "to see if it worked out." Pretty sure he earned the 2nd year of the FB scholarship. He was never a walk-on, always on a scholarship.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
If you're on an athletic scholarship and you play FB, it has to be one of the 85. Bear Bryant used to put kids on baseball scholarships to get more football players, so they changed the rules.

What I remember is CPJ gave Smelter a 1 yr. FB scholarship "to see if it worked out." Pretty sure he earned the 2nd year of the FB scholarship. He was never a walk-on, always on a scholarship.

Dead on forensicbuzz. Freed up a Baseball scholly (or partial) when he was given the football scholarship.