GT adds a key walk on

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Its a shame that players like this don't get scholarships. Long Snapper is a craft and it takes as much work/effort as any other position.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Its a shame that players like this don't get scholarships. Long Snapper is a craft and it takes as much work/effort as any other position.

It takes work but to say as much work....don't think so. The wear and tear on position players bodies far exceed that of a snapper. They F/O during practice and usually are no where near the rest of the team. Players do get schollys...see Sean Tobin.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
It takes work but to say as much work....don't think so. The wear and tear on position players bodies far exceed that of a snapper. They F/O during practice and usually are no where near the rest of the team. Players do get schollys...see Sean Tobin.
You are right my friend but overall my point is they are under appreciated in the grand scheme of things.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
You are right my friend but overall my point is they are under appreciated in the grand scheme of things.
Paul had 2 long snappers on ship at one time 2 years ago. Only school in the country that does that. Is it a shame in the grand scheme? Not sure. I would rather have another ol or dl. I think thats the point. Clearly its not a big enough role for coaches to focus on it. For sure totally important!!! And critical. But clearly its not high on the value board vs ships and drafting.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Paul had 2 long snappers on ship at one time 2 years ago. Only school in the country that does that. Is it a shame in the grand scheme? Not sure. I would rather have another ol or dl. I think thats the point. Clearly its not a big enough role for coaches to focus on it. For sure totally important!!! And critical. But clearly its not high on the value board vs ships and drafting.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

Grand scheme meaning college football... Oh just forget it. Geeesh.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
What I like about this clip of the so-fine 2004 win at Clempson is that it shows Reg running off the field signaling TD as soon as he threw the ball. He knew that Calvin was going to catch it as soon as he let it go.

Btw, that's what you need for a really effective passing game: you need Calvin.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Long snapper is a very important position when a mistake is made. Till then, perfection is expected.

I think his 15 yard snap times at less than .7 seconds are fabulous. Most in college are 1.2-1.5 seconds (according to a LS who played for us). If he is the fastest and most accurate on the team, he will start. Then CPJ will (and should) give him a scholarship.

ST are about 25% of the game. A good LS is essential for punting, extra points (we should almost always run for 2 IMHO), and FGs. The kicker will be much calmer with a LS he trusts.

If he has great time and accuracy, he can stay for 15 years in the NFL since the LS only comes in for kicks and isn't allowed to get obliterated any more. This is good news.

Animal02

Banned
Long snapper is a very important position when a mistake is made. Till then, perfection is expected.

I think his 15 yard snap times at less than .7 seconds are fabulous. Most in college are 1.2-1.5 seconds (according to a LS who played for us). If he is the fastest and most accurate on the team, he will start. Then CPJ will (and should) give him a scholarship.

ST are about 25% of the game. A good LS is essential for punting, extra points (we should almost always run for 2 IMHO), and FGs. The kicker will be much calmer with a LS he trusts.

If he has great time and accuracy, he can stay for 15 years in the NFL since the LS only comes in for kicks and isn't allowed to get obliterated any more. This is good news.

Long snapping is so under-rated as is obvious by the comments here....and yes, so very important to the game. On the field more than your typical kicker. (since punter and place kicker as usually different) and it takes a lot of skill to get the ball with the laces in the exact correct position every time

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If you don't think the position is important or worth a scholarship, wait till the first time a botched snap costs you a game. It happens a lot. We have been blessed with excellent performance out of this position during the Johnson era. I can't think of one example of a botched snap although we might have had one somewhere along the line. You come to expect it and get complacent about it and then it bites you in the butt.

Go Jackets!