GT & ACC WBB 2021-2022

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
All along I have thought VT should be ranked. This should end that debate. The Jackets will have their hands full in Blacksburg.

Our size has given Kitley problems in the past. She is an offensive force but not nearly as effective on the defensive end. Last year she rode the bench for a large part of the game with foul trouble. I think what differentiates us from most of her opposition is we have two post players who can match her size and physicality whereas most other teams don't even have one. My biggest issue with her is the fact she often uses her elbows to create space and the refs let her get away with it while they call it on everyone else. But to beat VT we need to limit Shepherd and the other perimeter players. We need to be able to control Kitley down low with a single defender and not double down leaving the perimeter shooters open.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Our size has given Kitley problems in the past. She is an offensive force but not nearly as effective on the defensive end. Last year she rode the bench for a large part of the game with foul trouble. I think what differentiates us from most of her opposition is we have two post players who can match her size and physicality whereas most other teams don't even have one. My biggest issue with her is the fact she often uses her elbows to create space and the refs let her get away with it while they call it on everyone else. But to beat VT we need to limit Shepherd and the other perimeter players. We need to be able to control Kitley down low with a single defender and not double down leaving the perimeter shooters open.
Using elbows to create space is as basic in basketball as the bounce pass. Certainly you would not begrudge her use of that basic skill.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Using elbows to create space is as basic in basketball as the bounce pass. Certainly you would not begrudge her use of that basic skill.

Bad analogy. There is no real situation where a bounce pass is a foul. There is absolutely situations where "using" elbows is a foul. No idea about the player being talked about though, but there is a big difference between pivoting when your elbows are out vs swinging them.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Bad analogy. There is no real situation where a bounce pass is a foul. There is absolutely situations where "using" elbows is a foul. No idea about the player being talked about though, but there is a big difference between pivoting when your elbows are out vs swinging them.
That analogy was tongue in cheek. Is there a sarcasm imoji? If so, I could use it. I sometimes forget the Swarm has a bunch of engineers as posters. I need to be careful. ;)

Seriously though, I have watched Kitley play a bunch and never saw her using her elbows. But she has a really nice stop & pop jump shot that Kemba Walker could admire and at 6'7" no one is blocking it.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
That analogy was tongue in cheek. Is there a sarcasm imoji? If so, I could use it. I sometimes forget the Swarm has a bunch of engineers as posters. I need to be careful. ;)

Seriously though, I have watched Kitley play a bunch and never saw her using her elbows. But she has a really nice stop & pop jump shot that Kemba Walker could admire and at 6'7" no one is blocking it.
Then you need to watch more closely. She doesn't swing her elbows as that would be an obvious foul. But she does hook the defensive player with her elbows to create space when she pivots. While not as obvious as using the outstretched arm, it is still an offensive foul to do so and most other players will get called for it. I guess she has a reputation as a top player so the refs (which are the worst in the women's games) let her get away with it. I guess it galls me because she is tall enough and talented enough that she doesn't have to do it....she just does it because they let her get away with it. I guarantee you that if Nerea did it she would get called for it.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Then you need to watch more closely. She doesn't swing her elbows as that would be an obvious foul. But she does hook the defensive player with her elbows to create space when she pivots. While not as obvious as using the outstretched arm, it is still an offensive foul to do so and most other players will get called for it. I guess she has a reputation as a top player so the refs (which are the worst in the women's games) let her get away with it. I guess it galls me because she is tall enough and talented enough that she doesn't have to do it....she just does it because they let her get away with it. I guarantee you that if Nerea did it she would get called for it.
Sorry Oriental. I reread my reply and realized it sounded a bit snarky....wasn't intended that way. It's a very subtle move that Kitley makes that I believe is still a foul unless I am mistaken. I guess it is probably less of an indictment against her than it is against the refs in the women's games. It seems that every women's game I watch (and I watch a lot of them) I see at least 5 or 6 obvious blown calls that I can't believe. Sometimes they are calls of omission rather than commission but I'm like are they watching the same game I am? Like many others I enjoy the women's game because of the purity of it from a fundamental standpoint. When the refs are bad it tarnishes that for me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not just talking about calls that go against our team. We benefit from the bad calls from time to time. I see it in all games whether we are playing or not.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have to watch for that next time. Thanks.

Edit: I just watched the recording of the VT - Duke game played last night paying close attention to Kitley's elbows. She is definitely touching the defender with her elbow, but I do not think she is hooking. Hooking is definitely a foul. And her elbows are not raised above her shoulders, which would also be a foul.

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Keep Cubaj in your thoughts and prayers, she hurt her right leg during the fourth quarter of the game today. Good news is she's put a little weight on it was able to walk off the court. Scary part was she was going to court for a good bit.