GT +9 @ Syracuse Monday

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We can only hope Vegas is wrong twice in a row

This will be about as different a game as is possible. We go from arguably the toughest team in the ACC who can’t shoot worth a damn to the least physical team in the ACC who can shoot the lights out at at least 4 spots.

While they are long, you have to beat them inside. Will be a tough test for our D for sure

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
As @YlJacket points out, they are Charmin soft on D. We will get open shots, and we need to knock them down and have one of our "on" games. 'Cuse will overextend on Devoe and Coleman. That will space the floor for others to have a day drilling 3's and allow easier post entries. Not sure that 'Cuse will care about anyone on our squad taking the elbow jumper all game long. Ush is our best chance of making them pay. Their defensive gameplan is pretty set: bait the long 2 with late contest and sag off pre-scouted individuals at the perimeter. With that, my guess is Smith won't get a lot of burn in this one.

Their O is 2nd in the ACC and top 20 nationally per KenPom . Reminds me of recent Notre Dame teams. Least athletic 'Cuse team in Boeheim's tenure though, hence the issues on D. Most successful defenses against them are those that full court press and extend to half court in m2m. In other words, just out-athlete them. Unfortunately, that's not who we are. Minimally, I expect us to play no zone. Gotta go m2m. It'll be Moore or Ush on Buddy if we've scouted right, imo (need size/length).

Psychologically, be prepared for annoying foul calls on those guarding Buddy.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If we can successfully play Khalid at the foul line, we may be OK. That gives us Usher and Khalid on the defensive end - a plus while we still hav 3 shooters on the court If we have to put Usher at the foul line then Khalid is the one they will ignore on the perimeter.

Or we go small and let Deebo play Anselem which would be interesting

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CJP usually has us prepared to face the zone, but it’s all about ball movement, attacking the foul line, making open shots. Good time for a Miles Kelly sighting.

I’ve seen CJP put a guard at the foul line or in the middle of the zone on offense to help move the ball. I won’t be surprised if we see Kyle or Deivon there.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
CJP usually has us prepared to face the zone, but it’s all about ball movement, attacking the foul line, making open shots. Good time for a Miles Kelly sighting.

I’ve seen CJP put a guard at the foul line or in the middle of the zone on offense to help move the ball. I won’t be surprised if we see Kyle or Deivon there.
Jose was always very comfortable at the elbow. That was a big deal. And Tadric had some games running short corner baseline. I’m not sure we have similar players on the roster right now, but I agree we are usually prepared.

Their defense just sucks this year, and it’s not going to get better with their best defender gone for the year (Edwards). Their success hinges on whether their O can make up for it, and they are good on that end.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Preparation might be an issue this game. According to IG, our charter plane was cancelled and the team spent yesterday on a bus to Syracuse.
What is that a 6-8 drive? Hoping we can bring the same level of intensity on D that we had against Pitt, but I’m fully prepared for Cuse to shoot 40+% on 30 attempts and for us to be in the wrong side of the foul disparity.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s more like 15 plus traffic. I can’t imagine. They couldn’t find a way to reschedule the charter or at least go commercial to some spot up the east coast to make the time manageable.

I fear you are right about the rest

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
It’s more like 15 plus traffic. I can’t imagine. They couldn’t find a way to reschedule the charter or at least go commercial to some spot up the east coast to make the time manageable.

I fear you are right about the rest
Pretty sure they were departing from Pittsburgh, not ATL. That's about 5 hours driving. Otherwise it's a connecting flight going commercial.

Weather might be the only variable.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Hey I thought you had a tweet of the flight back to Atlanta? 🤨
I think that Tweet opened with the flight to Pitt, not postgame. The way it is presented is certainly confusing.

Granted, I made an assumption that we made the logical decision given geography and turnaround.

Then again, maybe our charter was a cargo plane destined for a layover in Dublin but was burdened by supply chain issues.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That does make sense. Though I will say my daughter spent a year in Dublin and it ain't a bad place to have a supply chain extended layover - especially if you like Guinness. :hungover:

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea which team to expect this game. The one with defensive intensity or the flat travel team (after a bus ride). Either way, we have to shoot well. As others have noted, the Orange are efficient from outside. I'd like to steal a good road win there.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Deivon has had nagging injuries all season...Takes a lot to keep him on the sideline! Just saw that KQ said he was in concussion protocol.

Fatigue is definitely a concern though. Maybe this will be one of those games were we hit everything we throw up.

We will need some breaks go our way to pull this one out. Anybody going to the game?