GT (-9.5) vs. Syracuse

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I think we would have won by 10 at the beginning of the year. Not very confident right now as I feel as though the team is having a hard time believing. I re-watched the game against BYU and I was struck by our body language, especially VAD. When we played UNC, UNC came out and punched us in the mouth, Vad had a bad possession, but on the very next one, he had a very fiery demeanor that seemed to spread to other players. In the BYU game, it appeared Vad never had the same passion.

Its just my opinion but it looks like the confidence of the team is really shaken.

GTFan62

Jolly Good Fellow
Vad got tackled so much yesterday that he might have a fear of being sacked. The offensive line has to do better protecting him so he has time to get rid of the ball. He spent more time on the ground than upright.

ToddM

I think given Vad's age he can rebound well provided he gets one or two big plays.

If you recall in the NC game he got fired up after he had a good run a they ripped his helmet off.

ToddM

Jumping Cuse a little, it looks like they are an offensively balanced team. I think their leading WR has 7 TDs but not many yards while their leading RB has about 550 yards.

Looks like their defense is their problem

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Before my Syracuse team and game preview here's some non-game info/food for thought. Hope this lightens up the discussion and pulls everyone out of the losing streak funk a little bit. I'll break things up into separate posts.

Non-Football 'Cuse Notes
  • Syracuse knows marketing/branding. They brand themselves as NY's college team throughout the state. The mascot, Otto the Orange, has a Nike swoosh on his cap.
  • Syracuse sells beer at the Carrier Dome. I state this for a two reasons:
    • It makes the games more fun to attend and I hope it incentivizes folks to make the road trip whenever we play them away (I know, it won't happen for 12 years or so). Hit up Niagara Falls or Cooperstown within a 3 hour car ride.
    • This should be sufficient evidence to dispel the myth that beer can’t be sold in on-campus stadiums. Beer is allowed to be sold in on-campus stadiums. Might be a way to slightly improve our own attendance and revenue issues.
  • Syracuse is home to one of the best Barbecue joints in the country - Dinosaur Bar-B-Que. It was named the top barbecue restaurant in the country by ABC (what do they know? I don't know). The White House catered from there this spring during Obama's trip to Syracuse. The place is legit.

Attachments

• upload_2013-10-13_15-49-55.png
    upload_2013-10-13_15-49-55.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 17
  • upload_2013-10-13_16-0-12.png
    upload_2013-10-13_16-0-12.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If you get into an argument with a 'Cuse fan
  • DO feel free to assume the fans are arrogant yankees. Those from NYC likely are. Those from Syracuse/upstate are not, but most still envy the “tougher than you” stereotype. The good news is GT and Syracuse are facing off in football. Most of the “tough guy” stuff this Saturday will be in jest as Syracuse understands their place in football as of today. The "tough guy" stuff won't be in jest though if GT somehow craps the bed and loses. Then I’m sure it'll get loud, obnoxious, and annoying.
  • DON'T assume GT’s tradition and history will win you an argument. Until the worst period in school history in the 2000's one could argue Syracuse was more relevant than GT. Syracuse has more wins all-time, more NFL Hall of Famers, the first black Heisman winner (Ernie Davis), an undefeated season in 1987, and a lot of recent household names (e.g., Donovan McNabb, Marvin Harrison, Dwight Freeney).
    • All-time football wins
    • NFL Hall of Fame

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Common 'Cuse nicknames from opposing fans
  • SorryCuse
  • SyrExcuse
  • Sara Cuse
  • The Fruit
  • Team from Canada - not really a nickname, but used against them in recruiting

That's it for the light stuff. I'll post a game preview later.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Common 'Cuse nicknames from opposing fans
  • SorryCuse
  • SyrExcuse
  • Sara Cuse
  • The Fruit
  • Team from Canada - not really a nickname, but used against them in recruiting

That's it for the light stuff. I'll post a game preview later.
:ROFLMAO:

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Disclaimer for those who did not see my intro in the Off Topic forum. I was born and raised in Syracuse. My dad had season tickets to Syracuse football and basketball games for almost 40 years, and as a result I went to games from the time I was 5 until age 18. My GT fandom didn't start until I enrolled in 2002. With my parents and brother coming to town this weekend wearing Orange, who will I be cheering for? GT, and it's not as close as I thought it'd be before the season started.

'Cuse Team Preview
  • Season Recap (3-3 overall, wins over Wagner, Tulane, @ NC State, losses to Penn State, @ Northwestern, Clemson)
    • Syracuse started the year with a transfer from Oklahoma as their starting QB (Drew Allen). Fans expected him to be the second coming. He was really bad. Odd mechanics, low delivery, lots of missed opportunities against Penn State and Northwestern. The offense was dysfunctional - think GT vs. VT or BYU kind of bad. Hence....
    • After the first two games they switched to a dual threat, RS-Soph QB - Terrell Hunt. He led the team as they outclassed Wagner (FCS Elon equivalent) and Tulane. Both of those teams were really bad.. it was tough to tell what they had in Hunt but he was the new second coming.
    • After a bye Syracuse was overrun at home by Clemson. The game was over by halftime. There were a lot of breakdowns in the 'Cuse secondary as Clemson WRs were running unchallenged, WIDE open. It was the first time Hunt and the 'Cuse O were challenged by significantly better athletes, so many fans chalk this up to a learning experience that the team could overcome.
    • Last week Syracuse won @ NC State. Syracuse was largely in control of this game throughout, but it wasn't decided until the 'Cuse O-Line wore out NC State and they broke off several long runs with their RBs.
  • 'Cuse Offense
    • Scheme - mainly spread and not much under center. They don't often throw the ball deep and were happy to dink and dunk against NC State. They throw maybe 4-5 bombs a game, but probably connect on 1 or 2 at most. Stats at this point are still misleading with the schedule they've played, change in QBs, and the change in offensive philosophy over the course of just 6 games.
    • QB - Terrell Hunt, the current starting QB, is 6'3" 220lb. The parallels between him and Vad are interesting. Both are RS Sophs, and neither has found much consistency in the passing game. Neither has blazing fast speed but have enough to really make a defense nervous. The differences begin here - Hunt has pretty bad throwing mechanics. It doesn't look pretty (think Philip Rivers sidearm) and it also isn't very accurate beyond 10-15 yards. He will operate mostly out of the shotgun. He is INT prone against pressure.
    • RBs - Despite not having quite as many RBs, Syracuse will probably have the best one on the field Saturday in Jerome Smith (6' 230lbs). Man he'd look good as a Bback. Prince Tyson-Gulley is the lightning to Smith's thunder, and he's better than your average scat back. Both need to be respected, and it needs to be GT's A1 priority to stop the running combo from Hunt, Smith, and PTG.
    • WRs - Not great. There is probably a little more talent here overall than 'Cuse, but they are plagued by poor hands, route-running, and not many accurate balls from the QBs.
    • TE - Beckett Wales is pretty good, but he's no Eric Ebron
    • OLine - Average size and average unit. For the first time since our losing streak started, I think GT has the advantage on the line. We need to prove it.
  • 'Cuse Defense
    • Scheme - 4-3 and aggressive to the max. Lot of blitzing and trying to take advantage of their athleticism. They are big hitters. Think PJ Davis, Anthony Harrell, Jemea Thomas type of hitters across the board. I would be surprised if they don't light up a guy or two on GT. This year they have regressed a bit with last year's DC now Head Coach (Scott Shafer).
    • DLine - Senior DT Jay Bromley will be the best tackle on the field (Gotsis may be catching up), but like all other positions may be neutralized facing our O for the first time. 'Cuse rotates a bunch of others but nothing noteworthy.
    • LBs - Senior MLB Marquis Spruill will be the best LB on the field. I think he's started all 4 years at Syracuse. There is a falloff with the others and there doesn't appear to be a lot of depth, especially if Dyshawn Davis doesn't return after getting injured @ NC State.
    • DBs - Weak. This is an athletic group, but their aggressive style and inability to cover can be exploited. No standouts and definitely the weakest part of the D.
  • Other Notes
    • 'Cuse is on their backup placekicker. The starter was out for the season only a couple games into the year. The backup has been pretty decent.
    • Local connection - Two starters from Lawrenceville. Starting Junior OLB Cameron Lynch is from Brookwood High and starting RS Frosh KR George Morris III (3rd string RB) is from Central Gwinnett. These are two of the better recruits 'Cuse has signed in the last few years and two that fans are really high on. For some perspective though, neither received offers from GT.
  • And here we are as GT takes on 'Cuse...
    • GT Advantages -
      • GT DL vs. Syracuse OL. GT's athleticism should take over. Syracuse's OL is undersized and not as athletic as the OLs we've faced the last three games. Granted our DL hasn't been overwhelming anyone, but I still see this as advantage GT and a game where we can break out.
      • If there is one reason why I think the spread is so high in GT's favor, it's Syracuse's defensive style. Syracuse has to throw out everything that's made them successful on D the past several years. Their tendencies play right into our hands. We should be able to go to the bread and butter. Of course this is dependent on our own execution which of course has been lacking.
    • 'Cuse Advantages
      • Offensive backfield. The RBs are good. Generally speaking the O offense has hummed a little more consistently than GT. The O isn't as complex though. They haven't shot themselves in the foot quite as much either. If 'Cuse is smart and their OL can hold, then they should feed the RBs all game. For some reason though 'Cuse is one of those teams that doesn't just stick with what's working until sometimes it's too late.
      • Momentum/confidence. Most 'Cuse fans will agree that the goal preseason was to make a bowl game. Well they are close to being on schedule and are coming off a confidence boosting win at NC State. I don't think I need to remind anyone here what our preseason goals were nor about the team's perceived mental state.
  • Prediction
    • 34-24 GT. I expect Hunt's inaccuracy will lead to at least one INT and enough punts. The X factor to me is simply GT's mindset going into this game. I really don't have a read, but that's a topic for another thread.

Happy to answer any questions from the group.

ToddM

Thanks for the info Cuse,

I guess what jumped out to me is the statement that Cuse throws deep 4-5 times a game. That gives me images of Young being back there trying to defend it. I know you said Cuse WRs suffer from drops and poor routes but are they big ? Can Young defend them on those deep balls ?

I know 4-5 a game isn't a lot but if they hit 2-3 of them, like BYU it can really put us behind the eight ball.

I think the stats point toward them struggling on defense, I guess that's against basic offenses. Is there any reason to believe Cuse should be adapt at defending the offense we will bring ?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info Cuse,

I guess what jumped out to me is the statement that Cuse throws deep 4-5 times a game. That gives me images of Young being back there trying to defend it. I know you said Cuse WRs suffer from drops and poor routes but are they big ? Can Young defend them on those deep balls ?

I know 4-5 a game isn't a lot but if they hit 2-3 of them, like BYU it can really put us behind the eight ball.

I think the stats point toward them struggling on defense, I guess that's against basic offenses. Is there any reason to believe Cuse should be adapt at defending the offense we will bring ?

Fair takeaways Todd. I don't think 'Cuse is as bad on D as the stats lead you to believe. Those numbers are skewed by their games against Clemson (nearly every team struggles) and Northwestern ('Cuse truly was bad on D but Northwestern has a pretty good O too). You're right, I don't worry about their numbers one way or the other because of our unique O that they've never seen.

I share the same concerns about the deep balls. WR Jarrod West is a big guy (6'2" or 6'3") but hasn't played to his potential yet. WR Jeremiah Kobena is a burner. That said Hunt is probably the 5th best QB we've faced so far this year ahead of Elon's and Duke's, and I put him down in the rankings due to his arm. Hunt's missed guys that were pretty wide open on deep balls, and his mechanics don't lead me to believe that he's real close to figuring it all out. I have a ton more confidence that this is how we beat 'Cuse than when I said the same about Taysom Hill/BYU.

Ultimately I expect 'Cuse to hit a few big plays, passing or running, but they're not explosive like Miami or Clemson. I realize that's not profound nor a bold prediction for most opponents. When we're on D the game will be about how we handle their regular O rhythm. Against NC State and Clemson they really struggled to sustain drives without a big play mixed in.

Last edited:

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
living in Long Island and growing up there in the 90's I always remember those Marvin Harrison/Dwight Freeney/McNabb teams that played in the Carrier Dome. Loved watching those Big East games. Cuse' always had a good stable of RBs and had a decent No. 1 receiver. Paul Pasquolani (sp?) was the coach and it seemed like the Carrier Dome was always a ruckus during those days. Also, correct me if i'm wrong but Syracuse is the ONLY Div-1A football program in NY. The whole of NY. Perhaps Buffalo made the jump into Div-1A but even if they did, did anyone notice or care?

You do have one thing right; "do feel free to assume arrogarnt yankee fans" . Put a big circle 50 mile radius around NYC and that's all NYC arrogance right there. Some of the former NY transplants I know who live in Southern California do still call themselves new yorkers when in fact they haven't lived there in 30 years and they still talk with a Brooklyn accent.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
living in Long Island and growing up there in the 90's I always remember those Marvin Harrison/Dwight Freeney/McNabb teams that played in the Carrier Dome. Loved watching those Big East games. Cuse' always had a good stable of RBs and had a decent No. 1 receiver. Paul Pasquolani (sp?) was the coach and it seemed like the Carrier Dome was always a ruckus during those days. Also, correct me if i'm wrong but Syracuse is the ONLY Div-1A football program in NY. The whole of NY. Perhaps Buffalo made the jump into Div-1A but even if they did, did anyone notice or care?

You do have one thing right; "do feel free to assume arrogarnt yankee fans" . Put a big circle 50 mile radius around NYC and that's all NYC arrogance right there. Some of the former NY transplants I know who live in Southern California do still call themselves new yorkers when in fact they haven't lived there in 30 years and they still talk with a Brooklyn accent.
If memory serves correctly, FBS is the home to two New York schools (Cuse and Buffalo) and a service academy (Army)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If memory serves correctly, FBS is the home to two New York schools (Cuse and Buffalo) and a service academy (Army)

Syracuse is the only BCS conference school in NY. The reason for the "New York's College Team" marketing is the competition from out of state for the NYC market. Penn State, Notre Dame, and even Michigan are arguably more popular in NYC these days. Rutgers believes they have a stronger pull in NYC than Syracuse, but I'm not sure how true that is. 100 years of irrelevancy doesn't make up for being closer geographically to the city than Syracuse.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
GT opened as 7 point favorites and quickly moved to almost a 10 point favorite.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/[email protected]/date/10-19-13/time/1230

Having watched 4.5 'Cuse games this year and all of GT's, I'd say this line is appropriate if GT does not mail it in. The mailing it in factor is the only reason I might consider the line slightly too high.

My CuseJacket Syracuse preview will come later today.

The line is down to 7.5 to 8 depending on where you look. As I mentioned previously I thought 9.5 was slightly high, but the current spread feels about right. It's crazy how unpredictable everyone feels GT's performance will be this Saturday, offense and defense both.