GT (+8.0) vs. #10 Virginia Tech

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Refs had a WEIRD game last night. Odd fouls were being called and things that should be called were not. I'm glad the fans started chanting "You Suck Ref" or whatever they said. Show your displeasure. Once or twice duringthe night the ref looked at me in the stands and I took my glasses off and offered them to him.
Hah I saw you do this. Were you in blue right behind the hoop? I also sit in 105 and the number of clowns in our section from VT last night was ridiculous. For the record, I heard the "jigaboo" scream and think what he actually said was "peekaboo" as he moved out behind the stanchion at the last second.

I'll give more credit to our defense than I initially gave. I had just come off reading opinions from lots of Virginia Tech fans who claimed they had their worst game of the season, but agree with a comment above that every team having their worst shooting game of the season is a trend, not happenstance.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Hah I saw you do this. Were you in blue right behind the hoop? I also sit in 105 and the number of clowns in our section from VT last night was ridiculous. For the record, I heard the "jigaboo" scream and think what he actually said was "peekaboo" as he moved out behind the stanchion at the last second.

I'll give more credit to our defense than I initially gave. I had just come off reading opinions from lots of Virginia Tech fans who claimed they had their worst game of the season, but agree with a comment above that every team having their worst shooting game of the season is a trend, not happenstance.

Haha yeah, that's me.

Yeah they were saying peek a boo. They were popping out from behind each side of the goal.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
1.8 is 38% less than 2.5, if my math is correct. It seems to me 1.8 seconds is barely enough time for a player to receive a pass and get off a credible shot. It was a poor plan by CJP.

Drew got off the shot With about 1.4 left on the clock. It only took about a second for the pass, catch, and shoot to take place. The ball doesn't need to go through the basket before 0 hits, just get out of the hand and yes 1.8 is enough time for that to happen.

Hell Laettner's shot was with 2.1 left and he has enough time to dribble, throw a shoulder fake, and then get a shot off and that was even with a slight hesitation in his shot.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Drew got off the shot With about 1.4 left on the clock. It only took about a second for the pass, catch, and shoot to take place. The ball doesn't need to go through the basket before 0 hits, just get out of the hand and yes 1.8 is enough time for that to happen.

Hell Laettner's shot was with 2.1 left and he has enough time to dribble, throw a shoulder fake, and then get a shot off and that was even with a slight hesitation in his shot.

Not saying it can't happen. It's possible and it's happened (as I said, it's barely enough time), but it seems to me the better play would be to inbound the ball to someone behind the three-point line obviating the need for a pass.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Not saying it can't happen. It's possible and it's happened (as I said, it's barely enough time), but it seems to me the better play would be to inbound the ball to someone behind the three-point line obviating the need for a pass.

The reason you use the pass idea is because the defense will naturally give the most attention to the guy receiving the ball making it easier for the guys without the ball to get a good look which is exactly what happened with the Bryce Drew play. Yes, by passing it straight to the shooter you don't have to worry about passing it again. But you then have to worry about actually getting the shot off with the defense focused on you which is what was avoided with the play to make a pass.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The reason you use the pass idea is because the defense will naturally give the most attention to the guy receiving the ball making it easier for the guys without the ball to get a good look which is exactly what happened with the Bryce Drew play. Yes, by passing it straight to the shooter you don't have to worry about passing it again. But you then have to worry about actually getting the shot off with the defense focused on you which is what was avoided with the play to make a pass.

Why would they pay any attention to a guy who's inside the three-point line when the lead is three? If one of our guys is inside the three-point line, they have five guys to watch three.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why would they pay any attention to a guy who's inside the three-point line when the lead is three?

Why did the Miss player guarding a 43+% shooter decide to watch a guy who had taken 44 total threes catch the ball instead of staying with said 43+% shooter? Because players react to the ball in the air and the guy catching it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Why did the Miss player guarding a 43+% shooter decide to watch a guy who had taken 44 total threes catch the ball instead of staying with said 43+% shooter? Because players react to the ball in the air and the guy catching it.

Well I guess players do dumb things, but it seems obvious that a coach would tell them (even though they ought to know) that they have a three-point lead. The defense is simple - stay back of the three line. Duh.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO, the way VT played and give some credit to our defense, we should have won this by 6-10 points ... beyond Alvarado, didn't see much to be excited about.
I would have thought by year three we'd have a little more talent around ...
I agree - I hope for the best but I went to the game and thought VT played very poorly. VT missed the open 3 from the corner time after time. I kept expecting them to start hitting it but they didn't and it kept us in the game. Hoping for the best but disappointed we couldn't take advantage of VT poor play. Offense was pretty bad constantly requiring a late bad rushed shot consistently. And lack of time out remaining late in game when Alston threw the ball away really hurt. I also think we need rebounders when shooting free throws.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Not placing offensive rebounders on the lane for free throws has been bugging me too. Pastner was asked about it on his call in show this past Monday and he acknowledged that it was a legit question/criticism, but he said that he prioritized getting back on defense over trying for offensive rebounds off missed free throws. He said he preferred to play to our strength as a good/great/elite defensive team. I didn't buy this at first, but I did some googling and came across one claimed stat (for the NBA) that said the offensive rebound rate on missed free throws is only about 10-12%. At that rate, if a team shoots 20 free throws per game at a 70% clip, that would only be a 6 available rebounds (even less actually b/c some would be front end of 2 shots), 10-12% of which would be less than one rebound per game. Considering how dangerous certain teams (e.g. UNC tarholes) are in transition off defensive boards, maybe Pastner's strategy makes sense. What do others think?

2ndgenjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
That’s some good info...setting the D early is probably worth more than 1 rebound a game. However I would think end game situations should potentially change that strategy and I would hope JP would take that into consideration

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I agree - I hope for the best but I went to the game and thought VT played very poorly. VT missed the open 3 from the corner time after time. I kept expecting them to start hitting it but they didn't and it kept us in the game. Hoping for the best but disappointed we couldn't take advantage of VT poor play. Offense was pretty bad constantly requiring a late bad rushed shot consistently. And lack of time out remaining late in game when Alston threw the ball away really hurt. I also think we need rebounders when shooting free throws.

We used a time out toward the end when there was a loose ball tie up. GT had the possession arrow. No need to use the timeout there.

GT11

GT Athlete
He had to take his last time out because Gueye was cramping and could not walk. They even had to sub for him. That was the timeout he was saving for the eand of the game

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
He had to take his last time out because Gueye was cramping and could not walk. They even had to sub for him. That was the timeout he was saving for the eand of the game
That’s what I thought too but Pastner said in his post game interview that he used it for mike which was weird to me

GT11

GT Athlete
From where I sat you go see he was in pain and could not stand up straight. CJP tried to get the refs attention to halt play but he couldn’t. He had no choice but to call it

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That is what I didn't understand. Usually you don't have to call a TO to get a substitute for cramps or any other injury. And if you can get their attention for a TO then you should be able to say injury just as easily. Kind of weird.