GT (+7) vs. VT

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Beauty? Thats debateable, but we won't go there. We've gone for 70-80 yards worth per game with the Bback against inferior lines. The best OLine since CPJ has been here, needs to improve quickly or we will struggle badly in conference play.

I'm not sure how much of that you can put on the O-line vs the backs. I feel like the big plays have been there but Laskey just can not run through contact with how tall he runs. He gets no leverage and is stonewalled so easily.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So why are we still giving the ball to the Bback then? I haven't seen any 9 in the box cover zero either. Our OLine isn't exactly blowing the defense off the ball vs the 3 weakest DLines we will face. As the season goes on we will see better edge players and LBers, and then what? Not saying we can't get the Bback going, just saying we haven't thus far and that is concerning.
Didn't Laskey have over 100 yds rushing vs GSU???

buzzinanut69

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO 5 ypc is sufficient for the offense to be successful but big plays from the BB position is what truly allows the offense to be unpredictable and explosive.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure how much of that you can put on the O-line vs the backs. I feel like the big plays have been there but Laskey just can not run through contact with how tall he runs. He gets no leverage and is stonewalled so easily.

no leverage and stonewalled? now your just making **** up.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I will trade off ball security and no tendency to slack off, misfire, or get hurt against "body lean" anyday. Of the 22 positions on the team I view the WRs, RG, and QB positions the only ones ahead of Laskey in performance on the field. We need more improvement in DT and DE play and depth, pass rush, OL pass blocking, OL depth, AB blocking, DB coverage, DB angles and tackling, LB coverage, LB angles and tackling, Kick off returns, Kick off coverage, punt returns all are bigger concerns than Laskey's pad height after gaining 5 yards.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I will trade off ball security and no tendency to slack off, misfire, or get hurt against "body lean" anyday. Of the 22 positions on the team I view the WRs, RG, and QB positions the only ones ahead of Laskey in performance on the field. We need more improvement in DT and DE play and depth, pass rush, OL pass blocking, OL depth, AB blocking, DB coverage, DB angles and tackling, LB coverage, LB angles and tackling, Kick off returns, Kick off coverage, punt returns all are bigger concerns than Laskey's pad height after gaining 5 yards.

Don't misinterpret me I'm not blaming that for anything more than I think he could pick up a few more yards per carry. I wouldn't consider it a pressing team issue.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Don't misinterpret me I'm not blaming that for anything more than I think he could pick up a few more yards per carry. I wouldn't consider it a pressing team issue.

I think for some reason in this game on some plays we got no block on the MLB, #40, and he put a 2 0r 3 vicious licks on Laskey and one on Thomas. I am sure glad they both got up. Those were the plays where Laskey seem to hit a stone wall and I have not seen much of that in past games. #40 was capable of really hurting somebody when somebody did not get a hat on him. And of course you are right that a little better body lean is desired ( but like Snoddy, the technique might not be in his DNA).

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Go watch the tape. He has no body lean.
I agree but... I actually agree with CPJ that Laskey does nothing textbook technique wise, but is surprisingly effective. I feel pretty confident in Laskey actually, but the OLine...got to wait and see this weekend. Don't think we can beat VT by only playing outside the Tackles.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I love that Laskey values the ball.
I love that he has fantastic balance and so never goes down at first contact.
I love how often he forces the Ref to whistle a play dead because he has 3-4 guys pushing him back but they never got him on the ground.
I love that he always falls forward to get an extra yard or two.
I love that he takes hits and yet doesn't miss snaps or take plays off no matter how hard they pop him.
I love that Laskey almost never (has he ever?) had a negative play.
I love that he doesn't try to be something he is not and start juking and jiving or moving east/west and end up stuck in neutral when there is 4-7 yards to get on the play.
I love that he can catch the ball with as much body control and as great a pair of hands as any of our receivers (sans Smelter).
I love that our QB says that when he makes a bad read Laskey will make it work anyway. That testimonial means our Senior BB is letting a new QB mature in the system and build confidence.
I love that he has positive body language on the sidelines and after plays.
And just for those of you who came here from another site I love that Laskey loves Frosties.

Can he improve? Sure, and I love that when I think about his development at Tech my sense is that Laskey always tries to improve. He is very easy to root for and Tech is blessed with a lot of student-athletes that are very easy to root for.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I love that Laskey values the ball.
I love that he has fantastic balance and so never goes down at first contact.
I love how often he forces the Ref to whistle a play dead because he has 3-4 guys pushing him back but they never got him on the ground.
I love that he always falls forward to get an extra yard or two.
I love that he takes hits and yet doesn't miss snaps or take plays off no matter how hard they pop him.
I love that Laskey almost never (has he ever?) had a negative play.
I love that he doesn't try to be something he is not and start juking and jiving or moving east/west and end up stuck in neutral when there is 4-7 yards to get on the play.
I love that he can catch the ball with as much body control and as great a pair of hands as any of our receivers (sans Smelter).
I love that our QB says that when he makes a bad read Laskey will make it work anyway. That testimonial means our Senior BB is letting a new QB mature in the system and build confidence.
I love that he has positive body language on the sidelines and after plays.
And just for those of you who came here from another site I love that Laskey loves Frosties.

Can he improve? Sure, and I love that when I think about his development at Tech my sense is that Laskey always tries to improve. He is very easy to root for and Tech is blessed with a lot of student-athletes that are very easy to root for.
Totally agree (which is why he's my avatar right now). He's not the best player but I like all you mentioned plus his heart and attitude.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Wat

did watch it and I disagree. He's always picking up extra yards after contact. That's JMO..Your entitled to yours.

Sigh. My point is that he could get more. Not that he's a bad player.

I agree but... I actually agree with CPJ that Laskey does nothing textbook technique wise, but is surprisingly effective. I feel pretty confident in Laskey actually, but the OLine...got to wait and see this weekend. Don't think we can beat VT by only playing outside the Tackles.

I'm confident in him too I'm probably just being greedy. Or I'm spoiled being a niner fan and watching Frank Gore run for a decade.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Sigh. My point is that he could get more. Not that he's a bad player.

I'm confident in him too I'm probably just being greedy. Or I'm spoiled being a niner fan and watching Frank Gore run for a decade.

I think the BB position has suffered from Jonathan Dwyer syndrome ever since he left. I was probably overreacting to your post some but honestly I more or less just got carried away wanting a place to put up my post showing Laskey some love. I was very impressed with his tenacity and thankful that he could get a minimum of 4 yards it seemed all day against GSU even when getting met just past the line by the first contact.

I think Laskey is a really really good college fullback for this offense. I try hard to keep him in the proper context and then evaluate him based on that. I do agree he can get better and hope he does so throughout this senior season so that his best game yet is still down the road.