GT (+7) vs. Miss St.

bdsboy

Georgia Tech Fan
Tech has been rising in the polls, mostly because our defense has improved. MSU has fallen a little in the polls, probably because they were over-rated earlier in the season. If we get JHD back and the defense makes more progress, I like our chances. Our offense can match up against anybody.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not understanding the spread. We beat two current ranked teams with an average ranking of 15. They beat two current ranked teams with an average ranking of 21.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Roof has shown excellent game planning out of bye weeks. Miami was also out of a bye and one of our better performances.

I think this is the season we prove that time helps but it's not a magic elixir. We have the horses up front to impose our will on teams offensively.

Plus if they're secondary is not so great it means slower pursuit and easier blocks on the edge.

I think it will be a great game and probably one possession as the spread indicates, but I like our chances!

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I'm not understanding the spread. We beat two current ranked teams with an average ranking of 15. They beat two current ranked teams with an average ranking of 21.
Sorry for this...

Because you know
It's all about that money
'Bout that money, no scores
'Bout that money

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
If the defense can get some pressure on the QB, then GT should be OK.

Football Outsiders FEI rankings suggest that State would resemble a frankenstine team having an FSU/uga level of defense defense paired with an UNC/Miami level of offense.

Animal02

Banned
You have 100 MSU fans wanting to bet on their team........you have 10 Tech fans wanting to do the same. You give "points" to Tech in order to entice more Tech fans to bet on their team....while you discourage more MSU fans betting on their team...so that in the end, you have pretty much the same number of Tech fans betting on their team

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
You have 100 MSU fans wanting to bet on their team........you have 10 Tech fans wanting to do the same. You give "points" to Tech in order to entice more Tech fans to bet on their team....while you discourage more MSU fans betting on their team...so that in the end, you have pretty much the same number of Tech fans betting on their team
Thanks I didn't mean it in such as a literal context. Just looking at overall schedules and who we beat I just don't see why Vegas wouldn't make the line a little closer. Kinda like the Uga game, 14 pts was an easy spread to bet against. Really my comment just boils down to is that there is so much SEC west bias. We beat uga who everyone was screaming to go to the sec championship because they actually wanted it to be a good game. No offense to Mississippi state but they had an extremely weak opponent before facing Bama. Little more difficult then running the 3 game stretch we had at the end of the season with the competition improving each and every week.

Animal02

Banned
Thanks I didn't mean it in such as a literal context. Just looking at overall schedules and who we beat I just don't see why Vegas wouldn't make the line a little closer. Kinda like the Uga game, 14 pts was an easy spread to bet against. Really my comment just boils down to is that there is so much SEC west bias. We beat uga who everyone was screaming to go to the sec championship because they actually wanted it to be a good game. No offense to Mississippi state but they had an extremely weak opponent before facing Bama. Little more difficult then running the 3 game stretch we had at the end of the season with the competition improving each and every week.

My guess wold be that there is some bias because of the size of the fan base that bets on "their" team.....as opposed to professional gamblers.......but that is just my hunch. ;)

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Mississippi State has a better offense than Alabama.
Add to this that it is the kind of offense we have the most trouble with -a spread attack with a highly mobile quarterback. (UNC anyone?)

As for defense, we have proven we can put points up on anyone. The most difficulty we had in that regard was against Clemson who has the top defense in the nation according to the NCAA. Alabama is ranked well below them in defense.

Finally, we tended to do well against teams that tried to over power us, the way Alabama likes to play.
Well id have to respectfully disagree with that sentiment. Bama is TOUGH. We would probably have several injuries after the first half. Bama also has a pretty mobile QB and are peaking at the right time. The toughness is what seperates the SEC from other conferences IMO. I hate the SEC but its true. I know other teams have been able to score on them this year... but thats not always the whole picture. I think we have a good shot at beating MSU, Bama would slug it out hardcore.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the intangibles break in our favor for this game. MSU is wrapping up a disappointing season and coming off a terrible loss in the Egg Bowl that may have cost them the playoffs.

We on the other hand will be hungry for this class to win 2 bowl games something that hasn't happened for a graduating class in a long while.

I'm hopeful we'll have a fairly sized GT crowd there but alas I will not take part.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well id have to respectfully disagree with that sentiment. Bama is TOUGH. We would probably have several injuries after the first half. Bama also has a pretty mobile QB and are peaking at the right time. The toughness is what seperates the SEC from other conferences IMO. I hate the SEC but its true. I know other teams have been able to score on them this year... but thats not always the whole picture. I think we have a good shot at beating MSU, Bama would slug it out hardcore.
O.K., we definitely see it differently. I just remember how Georgia Southern's flexbone attack was more effective against Alabama than anyone on the schedule that year and that was against an Alabama team that was rated as much tougher than this one. But we are just talking about personal opinions that can't really be tested.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think the intangibles break in our favor for this game. MSU is wrapping up a disappointing season and coming off a terrible loss in the Egg Bowl that may have cost them the playoffs.

We on the other hand will be hungry for this class to win 2 bowl games something that hasn't happened for a graduating class in a long while.

I'm hopeful we'll have a fairly sized GT crowd there but alas I will not take part.
Hope you are right. I felt very positive about Tech prior to the Clemson, Georgia and FSU games. I fear a let down against Missy State. But I will get my positive attitude going in a few more weeks.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
If we are 20 points underdogs it is fine with me. People are finally realizing that we are usually underestimated.
My hope for this game is that the offense puts a nail in the coffin of the "if given time to prepare, a good defense will shut down Tech's offense" by putting up gaudy numbers. While I also want a win, to me the most important things come from just earning the invite. Positives include 1) great season ending game for a deserving team 2) the extra practice time 3) good press for recruiting 4) good press for GT football and 5) JHD getting to play in a game after all his work on the scout team etc. (really hoping JHD does great things although I couldn't be much more excited than I already am for next year's team)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
SEC West has been grossly underrated. People act like it's similar to other divisions, when it's actually the best division in the history of football. Didn't lose a game all season long except to Missouri and Georgia and Missouri didn't beat any of their Top 5 teams. I'd take Mississippi State or Auburn over Ohio State in a heartbeat.
Well, the sample pool is a little small to make these kind of statements. I will offer this as a counter to your opinion: Bammer struggled a good bit with WVU despite them being an "also ran" in the Big 12 losing half their games. Auburn was outplayed by KSU even though they ended up winning the game. Then they later got smacked by a UGA team that lost to UF, USC, and the lowly ACC team GT. LSU was behind all day to Wisconsin before the BADGERS tanked. That's right, the same Wisconsin team that just got drubbed by OSU 59-0. IMHO, their strategy has always been to preserve the myth by avoiding tough games out of conference while beating their chest about how great they are. This is another year where that happened, along with the unrelenting support from the press. You can look at any other division in cfb and they will have played more quality OOC games than the SEC WEST. In any case, they will have their chance to prove themselves in a few weeks. If they mop the floor with every opponent they face in the post season, I will recant my position. However, I am willing to bet "the best division in the history of football" loses about as many as they win and end up around .500.

You have to at least acknowledge from your own statement that the ACC has a better record against the SEC EAST than the SEC WEST does. Just saying.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well, the sample pool is a little small to make these kind of statements. I will offer this as a counter to your opinion: Bammer struggled a good bit with WVU despite them being an "also ran" in the Big 12 losing half their games. Auburn was outplayed by KSU even though they ended up winning the game. Then they later got smacked by a UGA team that lost to UF, USC, and the lowly ACC team GT. LSU was behind all day to Wisconsin before the BADGERS tanked. That's right, the same Wisconsin team that just got drubbed by OSU 59-0. IMHO, their strategy has always been to preserve the myth by avoiding tough games out of conference while beating their chest about how great they are. This is another year where that happened, along with the unrelenting support from the press. You can look at any other division in cfb and they will have played more quality OOC games than the SEC WEST. In any case, they will have their chance to prove themselves in a few weeks. If they mop the floor with every opponent they face in the post season, I will recant my position. However, I am willing to bet "the best division in the history of football" loses about as many as they win and end up around .500.

You have to at least acknowledge from your own statement that the ACC has a better record against the SEC EAST than the SEC WEST does. Just saying.
Why can't I like this post more than once?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Man I am so ready to blow up this myth. Problem is their D may be second or third best we have faced this year.
they have good size and speed but dont think in a month they can stop us wide....we man not dive them to death but think JT can get out wide and thats a good thing.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow

Look, I get it, the SEC lovefest is everywhere and a lot of it isn't warranted. Vandy doesn't become a world beater just because they play in a certain conference. Arkansas/UGA/etc doesn't get to claim dominance when all the national titles in this stretch are won by 4 schools and no one else has made a title game. Hell, outside of the title games, SEC teams are 3-4 in BCS games since 2007.

But that doesn't mean that a lot of their teams are really good, and half of their conference is UNREAL good on the whole this season.

WVU lost 5 games this year; they were to teams ranked #2 (by 10), #4 (by 12), #7 (by 1), #12 (by 6) and then Texas (by 17). There's only 1 bad loss there, and it's to a team that should be a perennial power house but is in the midst of a rough stretch.

I don't see a single way K State dominated Auburn.
YPP
Auburn - 4.72
KState - 4.07

Yards
Auburn - 359
KState - 285

First Downs
Auburn - 22
KState - 20

Turnovers
Auburn - 1
KState - 3

Auburn - 31:00
KState - 29:00

LSU is unranked, and 8-4. They shouldn't be as good at tOSU. But they still beat Wisconsin who, using your transitive property, smoked Nebraska, who smoked Miami, who led FSU into the 4th quarter.

The SEC-W teams are really, really good. If out teams doesn't believe that right now, Miss State will teach them on Dec 31st. We need to recognize how good they are and come prepared.