GT 7.5 Home Dog to UCF

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
One last thing I want to add. It appears many of you have gone back to last years game against PITT as a reference to set expectations for this year. We were starting a True Freshman QB in his first true road game (FAU doesnt count as our fans probably outnumbered theirs) and we lost on a trick play despite turnovers. Turnovers were the key last season. All losses came on the road and were the only games our QB threw interceptions. Those losses were by 1pt, 3pt, 3pt. We were 8 points away from 3rd straight regular undefeated season with a True Freshman at the helm. Thats after losing by 8 to LSU in the bowl game with a 2nd string qb freshman who would have been 3rd on the depth chart this season had he not opted out.

With the Covid difficulties and this being our first game I really have no idea what to expect. Every game I have watched, teams have looked extremely sloppy and I am scared that we may experience that as well. If that happens we may be in for a rough day, but as the PITT game shows we can score in a hurry so we are never really out of a game. Hope for a great game sat with no injuries and no covid.

Now go ahead and roast me for posting on your board lol
Only get roasted if you come here talking smack or about a National Championship your coach claimed. Now, expect to be disrespected, bad-mouthed, and whatever else, but not roasted.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I love college football and I try to be as unbiased as I can in everything in life. SEC is the best week in and week out. Over the last few years the ACC has not been very good. If we are talking the mean, yes Clemson holds all of your cellar dwellers up but that's it. You take them out, I am not sure the next 3 top ACC teams are that much better than top 3 AAC teams. I am not talking historically, I am talking last couple years.
Meh. Not a lot of truth in this post. AAC doesn't even begin to stack up to the ACC. Sorry, just the facts. Top to bottom ACC/AAC Challenge would be 90-95% ACC wins.

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m aware that this is off topic but I don’t think this one question / comment is relevant enough for another thread and I want to include @UCFVanWilder while he’s here.

Having followed the UCF 2017 team and honestly really enjoying watching the games of some of the AAC teams, it upsets me that college football is really so much of a money game.

I attended the 2018 USF game @USF and at the time, really laughed at the announcer who kept screaming about their “Power 6 Conference.” But in reality, the AAC has been equivalent to the ACC aside from Clemson (for the last 3ish years for sure, maybe more maybe less not trying to restart an argument). It seems to me that the AAC teams (on average) just have smaller fan bases and less money than the P5, which hurts recruiting, coach wages, bag men, etc. So while we have recruits who prefer the SEC to the ACC and find it infuriating, UCF and the AAC have to deal with P5 being infinitely better for exposure because of TV deals. Despite having a lot of talent, especially coaching talent, that’s really fun to watch.

I think GT is going to surprise you this weekend, Van, but being one of the ACC/P5 schools that can complain about being underfunded compared to ‘better’ programs, I do really feel for the AAC. I hope conference realignment in the near future gets the AAC some better deals, or can lift a few of the best AAC programs (such as UCF) into a better financial situation in another conference. Regardless of exposure, the P5 will continue growing at a faster rate than the AAC because money breeds money. The way I see it, if UCF was in the ACC or SEC, you would have been in the CFP and/or could have beat Bama in 2017, because you would have had even more talent and revenue to pour back into the program.

Oh and as for this thread, I’m taking GT over UCF +7.5, and if I wasn’t a broke college student I’d put my money where my mouth is 🥴

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I dont disagree but when you are operating on a razor thin budget you jeopardize your entire athletics operation. We have you guys, Loserville, BYU, Boise, UNC etc on upcoming schedules. This year we were supposed to host a top 25 UNC at home, Covid squashed that. Its hard to predict who is going to be good a decade out when you schedule
Bobby Bowden took FSU and said he'd play anyone anywhere. He needed to legitimize his team, so that's what he did. Eventually, he built a juggernaut and was able to dictate terms. Sometimes you have to take your lumps to get where you want to go. Playing in the AAC, UCF will never get any respect. They're a G5 team and will always be looked at as a G5 team. Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

When the P5 breaks away from the NCAA, UCF may be one of the top teams left standing. Then they'll be able to compete for a "National Championship" in the NCAA.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Meh. Not a lot of truth in this post. AAC doesn't even begin to stack up to the ACC. Sorry, just the facts. Top to bottom ACC/AAC Challenge would be 90-95% ACC wins.
The AAC is 21-33 vs. the ACC since itestablishment in 2013.

The ACC is 36-41 vs. the SEC since 2013.

Is the ACC top-to-bottom better than the AAC? Yes. But not nearly as much better as some of y’all in here would like to imagine. The bottom tier AAC teams have no shot in the ACC, but the top tier AAC teams would definitely compete with the mid-pack ACC teams.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The AAC is 21-33 vs. the ACC since itestablishment in 2013.

The ACC is 36-41 vs. the SEC since 2013.

Is the ACC top-to-bottom better than the AAC? Yes. But not nearly as much better as some of y’all in here would like to imagine. The bottom tier AAC teams have no shot in the ACC, but the top tier AAC teams would definitely compete with the mid-pack ACC teams.
I don't disagree with this. But what I said was an AAC/ACC Challenge. #1ACC/#1AAC; #2ACC/#2AAC; #3ACC/#3AAC; ...

I think ACC wins 90-95% of those games.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'd probably put UCF as about a TD favorite at the moment. Last year they went 10-3 and while that was playing in a weaker conference. One thing that bloats their record a little isn't that they were playing in the AAC. It's they avoided Navy, Memphis, and SMU. Basically, the AAC had some pretty good teams, but UCF only really played Cincy who they lost to close on the road. In the OOC they did hold their own against an 8 win Pitt team on the road, but Pitt was a midlevel coastal team. Basically, last year UCF didn't really have much of a chance to prove themselves which isn't entirely in their control, but to me it does lend itself to not viewing them as I would a 10 win ACC team.

The reason I give them a TD lead right now is that they are a proven quality team. For the most part they beat the teams they were supposed to and at least competitive against the better teams on their schedule. GT looked good against FSU, and it wouldn't surprise me if GT made a big jump this year, but it also wouldn't surprise me if we have more issues this year than those that showed themselves against FSU. I'm still skeptical about our line play despite them playing well against FSU for the most part, and I will need more than one good, although not great (in terms of just play not accounting for his inexperience), game from a true freshman. There were games last year, @UVA, NCSU, Miami. But those were the best showings. Not the average play. I have no idea what FSU will be when the season ends. Maybe it's our best game. Maybe it's our worst. It's probably somewhere in between. If I am going to knock UCF for not really proving it on the field against higher level teams last year then I'm not going to draw sweeping conclusions about our improved play just from one game either.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
One last thing I want to add. It appears many of you have gone back to last years game against PITT as a reference to set expectations for this year. We were starting a True Freshman QB in his first true road game (FAU doesnt count as our fans probably outnumbered theirs) and we lost on a trick play despite turnovers. Turnovers were the key last season. All losses came on the road and were the only games our QB threw interceptions. Those losses were by 1pt, 3pt, 3pt. We were 8 points away from 3rd straight regular undefeated season with a True Freshman at the helm. Thats after losing by 8 to LSU in the bowl game with a 2nd string qb freshman who would have been 3rd on the depth chart this season had he not opted out.

With the Covid difficulties and this being our first game I really have no idea what to expect. Every game I have watched, teams have looked extremely sloppy and I am scared that we may experience that as well. If that happens we may be in for a rough day, but as the PITT game shows we can score in a hurry so we are never really out of a game. Hope for a great game sat with no injuries and no covid.

No need to roast you . one thing I see it is your first game and y'all could be a little rusty ( I hope ) but we need to see that we can put last week behind us and improve and not still be celebrating last week. I know the coaches will be ready but we will see how the players do.

UCFVanWilder

Georgia Tech Fan
Bobby Bowden took FSU and said he'd play anyone anywhere. He needed to legitimize his team, so that's what he did. Eventually, he built a juggernaut and was able to dictate terms. Sometimes you have to take your lumps to get where you want to go. Playing in the AAC, UCF will never get any respect. They're a G5 team and will always be looked at as a G5 team. Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

When the P5 breaks away from the NCAA, UCF may be one of the top teams left standing. Then they'll be able to compete for a "National Championship" in the NCAA.
Last time I respond to these posts that are not related to the upcoming game out of respect to your Mods.

I hear this comparison all the time but lets think about it for second.....
Why doesn't an 18 year old graduate from high school, go work in the local factory, start earning towards his pension and buy a house while putting money towards savings?
Oh, because the the cost of housing, stagnant wages, and don't get me started on a that prehistoric thing called a pension prohibit this?!?! But in 1976 my parents were able to do it, why cant you.....

1976 Bobby Bowden took over a football program where the gap between the bottom and the top was not HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. In today's athletic arms race every dollar counts and when you have limited streams of revenue you better make it count. UCF was the first school in the state of Florida to have an indoor practice facility 2006, our facilities are that of a middle P5 school quality at a minimum. In order to stand a chance you have to keep the money flowing, just look at the struggles USF has endured. They were in the big east for years making way more money, playing high level of competition and now they are terrible with no facilities. The key was our building of an on campus stadium in 2007 that helped create culture and build donor base. You continue on that by playing the best games you can at home to keep the donations and season ticket prices/attendance climbing. If you start 2 for 1s etc for a team you cant even guarantee will be good in a decade and you jeopardize long term cashflow.

Mods-I promise that was my last response to any of these

UCFVanWilder

Georgia Tech Fan
No need to roast you . one thing I see it is your first game and y'all could be a little rusty ( I hope ) but we need to see that we can put last week behind us and improve and not still be celebrating last week. I know the coaches will be ready but we will see how the players do.
Not trying to be a homer but if this was our 2nd game I would have very limited concern. That first half rust is what keeps me up

Jacoooooob

Jolly Good Fellow
Not trying to be a homer but if this was our 2nd game I would have very limited concern. That first half rust is what keeps me up
Honestly I think every game this year teams are going to be “rusty”, you never know who might test positive or how many players could be out because of COVID, this will be the most unpredictable and experimental college football season of all time

TechieJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Just read the preview in the article below. I feel like we soundly outplayed Florida State but made mistakes that kept us from scoring early. Sims will get better every week. I think GT is going to surprise ppl with how well they play Saturday.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

If it is "roasting" you want....you came to the wrong place. I think "Stingtalk" is where you need to go. They roast each other when no one else is available.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Sting talk might be the most hostile forum I have ever been in😂

Let me think about that. There is a Miami forum that is absolutely vicious towards....their own coaches. What they were posting about Manny after that FIU loss was SEC rant level. My Florida friends used to joke that the perfect season for the Gators would be to finish 11-0, beat Notre Dame in the Orange Bowl for the national championship and fire the coach under the goal posts after the game. The only coach that they ALL loved was Spurrier. The rest of them they had no use for. IIWII

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I dont know if you guys have a team that just has your number? We do, it is Tulsa. Idk if it is the high school stadium they play in or lack of crowd but I think they hold an 8-3 record on us. It might be worse than that. If you watch that game we were clearly in control but then turnovers and special teams play doomed us. God for bid we take 1 crappy loss in 3 years lol
Yes, the last several years, Clemson has had our number.🎃