GT (+3) vs. Ole Miss

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I think this is an excellent match up. I have no idea who will come out on top. Two teams trying to fight their way to the upper crust of college football and falling just a bit short. The only result that would surprise me is a blowout either way. Neither team is great, both have their flaws. I am not sure if having Wommack defend us is a good thing for GT. Having familiarity helps, even for him. Nothing but excitement for me. Looks like the Mrs and I will be going since we will be in ATL for Christmas.

yep, I think people are misled by Wommack factor.His time at Tech has GOT to work against us and he is MOTIVATED to win .This has got to help them as EVERY other bowl opponent has done well vs our OFF (just a fact-even AIR Farce) and this is another negative for us.
I don't see us stopping their Off much unless we get some TOs which are few for us this season.
If PJ had a better bowl record I would feel better about this game but when has he won a game in which he was underdog?

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
Did you guys watch the Egg Bowl? Ole Miss did not look good in that game, and I can't imagine them having more motivation than a rivalry game. The game is a toss-up in my mind, but I like GT's chances.

Animal02

Banned
I would expect the game to be +/- 3 points either way. I just don't see us getting blown out. Looking at Cheese's UGA comparison, if we would have beaten UGA in overtime, would this make us more likely to beat Ole Miss? I don't think so. I'll take Tech in this one 28 - 24. I expect Ole Miss to be as athletic as UNC with slightly better coaching. If we get a performance by VL like we did against UGA, I think we take this one by 2 scores.

The 3.5 pts might simply be the balance of "homers" betting......Ole Miss has more students / alumni / (and likely fans) .

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
yep, I think people are misled by Wommack factor.His time at Tech has GOT to work against us and he is MOTIVATED to win .This has got to help them as EVERY other bowl opponent has done well vs our OFF (just a fact-even AIR Farce) and this is another negative for us.
I don't see us stopping their Off much unless we get some TOs which are few for us this season.
If PJ had a better bowl record I would feel better about this game but when has he won a game in which he was underdog?
http://atlanta.sbnation.com/georgia...94/2012-sun-bowl-georgia-tech-usc-spread-odds

7.5 point underdog versus USC.

I know I know. USC wasn't motivated to play in that game, the wind really affected USC's passing game, USC's back-up QB started the game, USC was coached by Lame Kiffin, USC was......... Fact of the matter is that GT was ready to play and beat a better talented team.

I think this is a well matched game and would be interesting to watch. Don't think we'll blow them out of the stadium nor do I think we'll get our butts served on a silver platter.

gtdrew

Banned
I also think Georgia Tech's decline in bowl games offensively can be attributed to the month off between games, too. I hope we come out throwing vs Ole Miss, as I think their secondary can be exploited...

floridajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
If you compare Ole Miss's and UGA's respective schedules, it's very hard to see how one gets an Ole Miss blowout out of that comparison, especially considering what games UGA did or didn't have Gurley.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
...Yellow Jacket bowls under CPJ suck
His offense gets shut down, period...
Georgia Tech 7
Ole Miss 28

LSU and Iowa were very good teams with huge defensive lines. Those losses were understandable.

Scoring 7 against Air Force was inexcusable...but we didn't really want to be in that game. That was also Tevin's sophomore season. Aside from the anomaly of the Georgia game, we pretty much were shut down by everyone after Josh got hurt (including a 20-point showing against Duke).

The offense looked pretty good against Utah. We should've won that game...meltdown on defense at the end and inability to hit a FG cost us.

Last year was impressive. We looked good on offense against a team that had us completely outmatched athletically.

I think we'll come ready to play in this game. This year reminds me a lot of 1997, and I think we'll have a strong bowl appearance just like we did against WVU in the CarQuest Bowl.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This one's hard to figure. Ole Miss was inconsistent on offense this year. We didn't run the option as well as in past seasons, but we showed some interesting wrinkles in the passing game against the Mutts. If both teams play up to their talent levels, I think the Rebs giving 3 is a reasonable spread.

gtce79

Georgia Tech Fan
I actually have a very good feeling about this game. As bummed as I was about losing to UGAg, I felt optimistic that Vad had turned a corner. The short passing game was wonderful to behold also. I think everyone wanted to see that used. I don't think it kept their DBs off the LOS though because our outside run game was stuffed with few exceptions. I was even excited that the D played relatively well until late. That inability to stop the mutts 4th and 6 on our side of the 50 was huge. We make that stop with about 6:50 to go, up by ten and we win. Anyway, I just have a good feeling about our team going into the bowl.