GT (+3) vs. Ole Miss

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Heck, looking at footballoutsiders F/+ rankings, Duke (36) is arguably better than Ole Miss (35), maybe even UNC (40).

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
Ole Miss is right where GT is in respect to their conference, except they won one of their big games (LSU) and GT didn't. That said, I watched the Egg Bowl and Ole Miss did not look very good in that game (but who could with the constant sound of CLANGA CLANGA CLANGA CLANGA CLANGA). Like GT, it will depend which version of their team shows up. I can't wait.

Yellow Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
My position was not just who Ole Miss played, but just as much about us this year
We only beat 1 team this year that had a winning record (including the 2 FCS teams that we played)--it was Duke, who had a weak schedule themselves which sure helped them have better than a .500 wining percentage
We only beat weak teams, which says a lot about us and how we will likely do in the bowl game

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My position was not just who Ole Miss played, but just as much about us this year
We only beat 1 team this year that had a winning record (including the 2 FCS teams that we played)--it was Duke, who had a weak schedule themselves which sure helped them have better than a .500 wining percentage
We only beat weak teams, which says a lot about us and how we will likely do in the bowl game

Well if you define weak as not above five hundred, then you are right. However, if you define weak as below 500, then a different story arises. We beat four teams playing in bowls, Duke, UNC, Pitt, and Syracuse while they beat 3, Vandy, TX and LSU. Now, I think that you and I would agree that GT is better than all the teams we beat, but that the same cannot be said for Ole Miss. So, it depends on what you count as the bigger indicator of future performance. If nothing changes in our game against U[sic]Ga but that Butker hits that FG, then we have a Marquee win. Does that make us more likely to beat Ole Miss?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The fact that we hung with, and should have beaten, UGAg, I feel we can hang with the likes of Ole Miss. Also remember that Ugag knows us inside and out and we still hung a bunch of points on them. Most of their starters on D had multiple games of experience against our O going in. How many Ole Missies can say that? Zero.

Yellow Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
We even struggled to beat UNC and Pitt (both home games)
We had a bad season and only beat average (including Duke since they played a really weak schedule) to below average teams
Just because a team goes to a bowl game it doesn't make them a good team as 6 wins against lousy opponents gets you to a bowl

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
We had a bad season and only beat average (including Duke since they played a really weak schedule) to below average teams
Just because a team goes to a bowl game it doesn't make them a good team as 6 wins against lousy opponents gets you to a bowl

Great. So what next?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The season was a disappointment.
The Uga game shows a glimpse of our potential.
The bowl game is nothing fear.
Nobody is guaranteeing a victory, but only some of us are guaranteeing a defeat. Hmmm......

Yellow Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The season was a disappointment.
The Uga game shows a glimpse of our potential.
The bowl game is nothing fear.
Nobody is guaranteeing a victory, but only some of us are guaranteeing a defeat. Hmmm......
I feel strongly that we will lose & support such with our performance this year along with who Ole Miss' beat & lost to in 2013
Those who feel that we will win have brought little to justify their position

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Everything in your previous post was an opinion not a fact. They were thoughtful opinions, some of which I agree with. However, they were not facts.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I feel strongly that we will lose & support such with our performance this year along with who Ole Miss' beat & lost to in 2013

You have to understand YJ that sometimes realism is misconstrued as pessimism.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In our most recent contest, we lost by a hair to a team that very recently lost by a hair to a team that's in the National Championship game. How does that equal a guranteed loss to Ole Miss? I just don't see it.

My real point is that comparing records and teams played yields little insight into future outcomes. There's just no transitive property in college football.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have no issues with you thinking we'll lose to Ole Miss. You opinion is as valid as anyone else's. I think we'll beat Ole Miss.

Obviously, I choose to approach the bowl game from a different perspective that you do. I think that we were as good as any team we played this year, with the possible exception of Clemson. At the beginning of the year, I looked at our schedule and didn't see a team we couldn't beat. Now, after playing the games, I still feel the same way. We ended up 7-5, with some tough losses and a couple of fortuitous wins. I would place Ole Miss squarely in the middle of our schedule this year. I think Clemson, Miami (when we played them), UGA, and BYU would be favored to win, and most likely would. I'd put them on par with UNC, Duke and Va Tech.

Additionally, we're playing a team that has not faced our type of offense, who's LB's and DE's tend to be aggressive moving to the ball, and are big but not dominating at the point of attack. These are all positives for us. Are there also negatives, sure. But I tend to try to focus on the positives, while remaining pragmatic. I'm not guaranteeing a victory, but I feel confident that this GT team will go into Nashville and take care of business. I also think the fact that it's an SEC opponent will help to improve focus during the practices.

AnotherBee

Georgia Tech Fan
I would expect the game to be +/- 3 points either way. I just don't see us getting blown out. Looking at Cheese's UGA comparison, if we would have beaten UGA in overtime, would this make us more likely to beat Ole Miss? I don't think so. I'll take Tech in this one 28 - 24. I expect Ole Miss to be as athletic as UNC with slightly better coaching. If we get a performance by VL like we did against UGA, I think we take this one by 2 scores.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I thinks the spread is the only fact you need to see. We are 3 Pt dogs so it should be a close game that can go either way. I'm excited to see what we do, just like last years matchup.