GT’s consensus All-American, 1970 ...

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
On the Bob Hope Christmas show:

upload_2019-2-18_12-14-55.jpeg

AlaJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
He was a very nice guy, but I am surprised to see the smile. I can't remember anything about him on the Bob Hope Christmas show, but I was surprised at the big smile. He wasn't sullen, but he was a pretty serious guy all of the time.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I've told the story before and it's my favorite about The Rock.

Tech had just played Miami and beat them pretty handily. An AJC reporter went down to the Miami locker room to interview the players and went to talk to the guard who had been up against Perdoni that day. Their dialog:

Reporter: "What did you think of Perdoni?"

Guard: "Holy Jesus."

Reporter: "What was his biggest strength?"

Reporter: "Was he the best tackle you've played this year?"

At that point, the reporter abandoned the interview. I think the guard pretty much summed up opposing OLs opinion of The Rock for his whole career.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I've told the story before and it's my favorite about The Rock.

Tech had just played Miami and beat them pretty handily. An AJC reporter went down to the Miami locker room to interview the players and went to talk to the guard who had been up against Perdoni that day. Their dialog:

Reporter: "What did you think of Perdoni?"

Reporter: "What was his biggest strength?"

Reporter: "Was he the best tackle you've played this year?"

At that point, the reporter abandoned the interview. I think the guard pretty much summed up opposing OLs opinion of The Rock for his whole career.
I never never never get tired of this story. As Bud Carson said of him at the time, "He is quite the physical specimen."

He hit low and hard, great pad level. Even guys that outweighed him by 40 pounds found themselves moving backwards.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I remember Rock walking around fraternity row, & everyone yelling at him, inviting him in!!! He was super nice & friendly (except on the football field!) We all thought that he was huge at 5'10" & 270lbs!! I guess times have changed !! His special skill was how quick he was!! Too short for the NFL (supposedly!) but did OK in the CFL..
Won some championships I recall.
I thought he was 5'11". Taller than Bob Hope anyway.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
When the Falcons franchise was announced, Paul Brown (!!) expressed interest in becoming a part-owner and the head coach. Rankin Smith, who saw the Falcons as a chance to have some fun, turned him down. To put this another way, Smith turned down the coach who invented modern pro football so that he and his mentally-challenged sons could run the franchise into the ground. I can only imagine how many Super Bowls and championships the Birds would have won if Brown was their coach.

Not giving The Rock a chance to play in the NFL - where he would have done just fine, btw - is right in line with this kind of asinine behavior.