GSU and a Little Perspective

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
Reality is we are talented enough to be 3-0! I believe some of you so called GT fans just **** your pants when GT won this game. Some of you guys are just PATHETIC! Embarrassed to be 3-0? Get a FN life people and enjoy the ride! Go Jackets!

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes we are flawed football team. We will have to scratch and claw to win any and every game left on our schedule. But if you watch a lot of college football like I do, you will find that we are not unique in this regard. Even the future National Champion Georgia Bulldogs lost a game they should have won, so did USC, Texas and on and on and on.

We can beat VT. They are a lot like us and so is every team left on our schedule. If we can develop a will to win we still have a chance to have a special season.

Go Jackets!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Was a heck of game last night. Good for the ACC. (too bad VT choked up against ECU though)

Wow, a VT fan???? (just kidding). VT losing was the perfect storm for me yesterday since I like UVa.

The ACC is the third strongest conference after SEC and PAC10. Go to the bottom of http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2014.htm

Notice that UVa beat Louisville? Parity. I was giong to start a thread on predictions for Coastal after three weeks, but it would be inconclusive. In another 3 weeks (after we play VT and Miami) things should be clearer.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@GTNavyNuke now we have to add Pitt to the must wins... I guess they are all must wins. Every game will be a claw fest and I sure hope GT claws it's way to the top.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I also thought the lateral was slightly forward which would have made it a pass. Even if it was a lateral, I think the whistle was blown before anyone fell on the ball, which should have meant the play was dead. And since players should stop going for the ball when the play is dead, by default the ball should have gone back to Southern at the location the ball was when the play was blown dead if it was later deemed a lateral upon review.
I didn't give Jasper the TD years ago and I'm not questioning this call either. I do understand frustration and look forward to seeing improvement.

Animal02

Banned
I didn't give Jasper the TD years ago and I'm not questioning this call either. I do understand frustration and look forward to seeing improvement.
There is a contingent of Tech "fans" that would like us to lose a couple of games like this as an excuse to fire the HC. They don't like the option and want us to be pass happy, , or they don't like the coach's demeanor and want a butt slapper "atta boy" coach toward the players even when they jump off sides or take a swing at opponent. These dame type of "fans" believe they are better at evaluating talent from their living room sofas and are better game time play callers from in front of their TVs. That is what is really frustrating

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Wow, a VT fan???? (just kidding). VT losing was the perfect storm for me yesterday since I like UVa.

The ACC is the third strongest conference after SEC and PAC10. Go to the bottom of http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2014.htm

Notice that UVa beat Louisville? Parity. I was giong to start a thread on predictions for Coastal after three weeks, but it would be inconclusive. In another 3 weeks (after we play VT and Miami) things should be clearer.

The only thing that I've learned about the ACC Coastal this year is that the one team I had down as the definite cellar (UVA) is also in the mix for the division. GT is going to have to especially beat Duke, Pitt and VPI who likely won't be challenged by a cross-divisional game.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
There is No way would I believe the offense would have done so well in the 1st half. The defense performed good and on track for a generally expected defensive score.

If you were at the game you heard the song playing right before the second half start. A little Kenny Roger gambler song about know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run. I thought, oh no... that is not the song to get your men to play and that is a song to make the other team mad. That is what happened.

Both the O and the D let up a little. The pentalty even caused the team to let up even more. Confidence is good, over confidence killed Custer.

Look, that last drive was a team fighting for thier lives. The team was capable during the second half of drives just like the last one. They did not have the hunger given the fill of the first half success.

That second half was more about lack of hunger and over confidence along with a mad and hungry GSU than any thing else.

The team still showed that they could be great on O and the D can keep the other team from scoring more than GT. Now the team needs a hunger to win and a need to stomp on some throats and never let one play just be "another play" and one drive just be "another drive".

All you guys jumping off bridges, go ahead and jump. Was I deflated and frustrated, yes. I did cheer the cheer of the last repreave, the yell of the winner pulling success from the jaws of defeat, the scream of a fan riding the football roller coaster. Did you cheer... remember that and temper the middle with the start and end.

I'm glad you are thrilled.Now if we weren't a 20 pt favorite AT HOME, I would be also.But if we can do that every week,the sky is the limit.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There is a contingent of Tech "fans" that would like us to lose a couple of games like this as an excuse to fire the HC. They don't like the option and want us to be pass happy, , or they don't like the coach's demeanor and want a butt slapper "atta boy" coach toward the players even when they jump off sides or take a swing at opponent. These dame type of "fans" believe they are better at evaluating talent from their living room sofas and are better game time play callers from in front of their TVs. That is what is really frustrating

We won with signs of very good and very bad against the easy part of the schedule and are now rated 13/14 in acc. It is 7 years with 3 DC and we got a letdown by the defense so it gives legs to those with previous negative and positive bias. So what! Let them talk. I am still very positive (oline play, lack of major injuries, 3 game qb leads winning drive, wr strong, very good recruiting class, system when it works un stoppable, etc) in spite of systemic issues ( slow to take action - Groh, not anticipating poor recruiting strategy, lose of stud de due to academics ,etc). We are in a god position and coach has a swagger.

We will win some and lose some this year. We will still be divided. NAVY did an analysis that showed me we need to swarm together thru 2015. If we play a little below 500 and have one big win we will still be divided. If we fire coach then we will hire a new guy that will get tepid support. 2015 ( ND, FSU) will require real coaching to have an ok year without being humiliated. The decision will be obvious. One big win above average and the decision will be obvious. In either case we will be united. Also, Giving a coach an extra year will help attract a better talent. LET'S SWARM.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wow...just saw a tweet by Mike Pereira, former VP of Officiating for the NFL and Rules Analyst for Fox Sports that said the overturned play at the 4:16 mark was called incorrectly. Hmmmmm......
Well, that would explain why he is a former official. Being geometrically challenged would seem to be a disqualifier.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
We need new fans, it's that simple.

Could not agree more.
We need fans who understand that GT stands for excellence.
We need fans who say that the last four years of an aggregate losing record against FBS teams is not remotely good enough.
We need fans who will demand excellence, and not mediocrity, from the coach who has a $20,000,000 contract.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Could not agree more.
We need fans who understand that GT stands for excellence.
We need fans who say that the last four years of an aggregate losing record against FBS teams is not remotely good enough.
We need fans who will demand excellence, and not mediocrity, from the coach who has a $20,000,000 contract.

I'd settle for fans who are less self-righteous and don't intentionally mischaracterize those who disagree with them as embracing mediocrity simply because they don't advocate firing the coach in every post.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, that would explain why he is a former official. Being geometrically challenged would seem to be a disqualifier.
Now he's an analyst for fox sports and what do they do, they drum up excitement to make a story where none exists. His whole argument was based on his opinion of sufficient visual evidence? Are you kidding me? I was expecting a faulty rules interpretation not a subjective call that could differ from one ref to another. As it turns out, the active professional head video referee thought differently than the former one. Guess which one counts?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bad call or not, GSU had every opportunity to stop us from driving the field and scoring a touchdown to win the game. They had not given us crap for the whole half. When it was time to man up we did and they did not. I've seen our team suffer the same fate on many occassion. It was refreshing to see us turn the tables.

Go Jackets! 3 and 0 with 9 to go.
Very well said.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not to be a negative nellie, but why has it always been survive and advance the last 4 years? Why can't it be 'beat down and advance', especially when you have a better team?
Always been survive and advance? No beat down and advance? I will agree that we haven't won all of the games we should have, but there have been quite a few beat downs by this team in the last 4 years. SYR last year, UVA the year before that, Clemson the year before that, just about every FCS team we have faced. I'm sure there are more that would qualify. This LAST one was survive and advance.