GSU and a Little Perspective

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There is No way would I believe the offense would have done so well in the 1st half. The defense performed good and on track for a generally expected defensive score.

If you were at the game you heard the song playing right before the second half start. A little Kenny Roger gambler song about know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run. I thought, oh no... that is not the song to get your men to play and that is a song to make the other team mad. That is what happened.

Both the O and the D let up a little. The pentalty even caused the team to let up even more. Confidence is good, over confidence killed Custer.

Look, that last drive was a team fighting for thier lives. The team was capable during the second half of drives just like the last one. They did not have the hunger given the fill of the first half success.

That second half was more about lack of hunger and over confidence along with a mad and hungry GSU than any thing else.

The team still showed that they could be great on O and the D can keep the other team from scoring more than GT. Now the team needs a hunger to win and a need to stomp on some throats and never let one play just be "another play" and one drive just be "another drive".

All you guys jumping off bridges, go ahead and jump. Was I deflated and frustrated, yes. I did cheer the cheer of the last repreave, the yell of the winner pulling success from the jaws of defeat, the scream of a fan riding the football roller coaster. Did you cheer... remember that and temper the middle with the start and end.

Last edited:

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
There is No way would I believe the offense would have done so well in the 1st half. The defense performed good and on track for a generally expected defensive score.

If you were at the game you heard the song playing right before the second half start. A little Kenny Roger gambler song about know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run. I thought, oh no... that is not the song to get your men to play and that is a song to make the other team mad. That is what happened.

Both the O and the D let up a little. The pentalty even caused the team to let up even more. Confidence is good, over confidence killed Custer.

Look, that last drive was a team fighting for thier lives. The team was capable during the second half of drives just like the last one. They did not have the hunger given the fill of the first half success.

That second half was more about lack of hunger and over confidence along with a mad and hunger GSU than any thing else.

The team still showed that they could be great on O and the D can keep the other team from scoring more than GT. Now the team needs a hunger to win and stomp on some throats and never let one play just be "another play" and one drive just be "another drive".

All you guys jumping off bridges, go ahead and jump. Was I deflated and frustrated, yes. I did cheer the cheer of the last repreave, the yell of the winner pulling success from the jaws of defeat, the scream of a fan riding the football roller coaster. Did you cheer... remember that and temper the middle with the start and end.

I too, let out a helluva yell when Tech finished the game. Lots of cussing before then BUT I didn't give up and neither did the TEAM!

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Amen Longestday.

I am just glad that I did not have a heart attack. I was going nuts like the rest of you. We have a weak DL. We lost a lot on the DL preseason. Not that strong LB's (Nealy played pretty well and Davis did not play well and not just the penalty). Our safeties seemed to be non-existent but are hopefully learning. Attack us up the middle and then throw over the top and you make us look silly. If our D does not shape up the only way for us to win in the ACC is to hold the ball on O on death marches and run the clock down so the opposing O cannot have that many touches. If our O was not so dominant in the first half, we would have seen the D give up some more of those big plays. O stunk in the second half except for the last drive and that hopefully will set the mindset of the O for the rest of the year. The last drive was a thing of beauty and may have catapulted JT into another level.

Good news - JT (in spades, except for a few overthrown passes, is that foot work/technique?), Smelter, Waller, running backs in general (hope that Perkins was not seriously hurt - any news?). O line was not firing in the second half. Not sure whether our O line will survive the DL of VT.

The other good news - 42 is more than 38.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Perspective will be easier to find tomorrow, but pretending I wasn't there and looking at the stat sheet it was a dead heat and we won the turnover battle.

Ugasux

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow what a game. I have never seen a game turn like that. While their is plenty to be concerned about I am happy for the win. Seems to me the Safety play has been are biggest weakness.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
However frustrating and unpredictable this season has been so far, no team goal has been removed from the table regardless of how lofty. Survive and advance. We need to get better. However, I don't care how well we might have played, our record could not possibly be any better at this point. Don't ever assume a loss until they happen.

str8shooter

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow...just saw a tweet by Mike Pereira, former VP of Officiating for the NFL and Rules Analyst for Fox Sports that said the overturned play at the 4:16 mark was called incorrectly. Hmmmmm......

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Clearly disagree with Pereira. The one camera angle that was looking straight to the sideline clearly showed that the ball did not go forward. It was clearly even, like the official said. As soon as I saw that camera angle, I thought it was going to be overturned. It was clearly indisputable IMHO.

str8shooter

Georgia Tech Fan
Doesn't matter now, but I suspect he had access to every video angle possible. He has no dog in the fight, so there's no need for him to tweet that unless he disagrees with the call.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I also thought the lateral was slightly forward which would have made it a pass. Even if it was a lateral, I think the whistle was blown before anyone fell on the ball, which should have meant the play was dead. And since players should stop going for the ball when the play is dead, by default the ball should have gone back to Southern at the location the ball was when the play was blown dead if it was later deemed a lateral upon review.

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
Even if it was a lateral, I think the whistle was blown before anyone fell on the ball, which should have meant the play was dead. And since players should stop going for the ball when the play is dead, by default the ball should have gone back to Southern at the location the ball was when the play was blown dead if it was later deemed a lateral upon review.

If a recovery is made immediately after the whistle is blown, video evidence can be used to overturn the call.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Even if it was a lateral, I think the whistle was blown before anyone fell on the ball, which should have meant the play was dead. And since players should stop going for the ball when the play is dead, by default the ball should have gone back to Southern at the location the ball was when the play was blown dead if it was later deemed a lateral upon review.

That's not how the rule works.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I also thought the lateral was slightly forward which would have made it a pass. Even if it was a lateral, I think the whistle was blown before anyone fell on the ball, which should have meant the play was dead. And since players should stop going for the ball when the play is dead, by default the ball should have gone back to Southern at the location the ball was when the play was blown dead if it was later deemed a lateral upon review.

On an inadvertant whistle on a loose ball the play is rerun. It does not go back to last possession.