Griffin is NOT now in the portal

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
OK, Tech needs RBs. And the solution is a simple one: move Tobias to RB. He's cute, he's very, very hard to bring down, and he'a easy fast enough. Besides that he's already shown that he can run with the best of them. Imho, he's wasted at CB.

So will it happen? Nah. Lack of imagination will triumph again.

And btw, I am not surprised by Griffin moving on. With a good blocking OL in front of him, he could be a very dangerous young man. Good luck in the future, Jamious!

I think Tobias is done anyway.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
OK, Tech needs RBs. And the solution is a simple one: move Tobias to RB. He's cute, he's very, very hard to bring down, and he'a easy fast enough. Besides that he's already shown that he can run with the best of them. Imho, he's wasted at CB.

Would be interesting to see if he could make the transition but I'm not sure being cute is an attribute that will help him on the field

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I forgot about Cimaglia, Davis wasn't really good or bad, just a warm body at TE. Johnson, I don't know too much about specifically, just that he was part of the OL that underperformed. I guess I'm mainly vexxed by the strikeouts of Ezzard, Clayton, and the guys in the secondary that haven't shown up on the field yet.
Sometimes guys just lose the desire to play and move on from football. They may come to the realization that pro ball isn't happening and focus on other things. Can't really fault them. I just hope they graduate.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
!. Tobias was a redshirt junior this year, But he may move on anyway.

2. By cute I meant that he is hard to get a bead on. See:

But I suspect you were jesting,

I'm so glad our development program and prostyle offense have never tried any packages with TO in a wildcat. Glad we've used his talents at WR and CB....

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Best of luck to him. To me it can't be a good indicator for the program that arguably two of your highly rated recruits from the State your trying to make inroads in, transfer. I thought our players bought into the "culture" change and what we are building here, the competition based ATL and the development team. Hopefully our incoming recruits can pick up the slack in the RB room. CTC has his work cut out for him

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Best of luck to him. To me it can't be a good indicator for the program that arguably two of your highly rated recruits from the State your trying to make inroads in, transfer. I thought our players bought into the "culture" change and what we are building here, the competition based ATL and the development team. Hopefully our incoming recruits can pick up the slack in the RB room. CTC has his work cut out for him
Losing Gibbs hurts as everyone has said.

If you can tell me another 4 star running back that is okay sitting behind 3 other guys for two years, I’ll give some more weight to your indicator comment.

Several people have commented that his mind was made up months ago.

We’ve lost 2 contributors in the pst 2 years. Brown (who didn’t actually hurt) and now Gibbs.

If several guys who are contributing were hitting the portal, it would be another story.

I always liked Griffin as a runner, but he never played. To overhype him leaving just doesn’t make sense.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
OK, Tech needs RBs. And the solution is a simple one: move Tobias to RB. He's big enough, he's cute, he's very, very hard to bring down, and he'a easy fast enough. Besides that he's already shown that he can run with the best of them. Imho, he's wasted at CB.

And btw, I am not surprised by Griffin moving on. With a good blocking OL in front of him, he could be a very dangerous young man. Good luck in the future, Jamious!
Griffin should be good if he lands in the right situation.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I think Tobias is done anyway.
Nah bruh. There are way too many great hot takes from coach keyboard to question actual coaches.
Let’s do something new and innovative and toss in a guy that hasn’t played a position in possibly 7+ years…that he isn’t physically suited for.

6’2 197#

He would need to add 30 lbs or lose 3 or 4 inches. If you said slot WR I could possibly agree or A-back, sure. RB…maybe in FCS but not in the ACC.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
6’2 197#

He would need to add 30 lbs or lose 3 or 4 inches. If you said slot WR I could possibly agree or A-back, sure. RB…maybe in FCS but not in the ACC.
Hmmmm. Didn't watch the film very carefully, now did you?

There isn't any set size for RBs; they come in all heights and weights. He's about the same size as Mason (6'1", 211). But, like I said, this won't happen, no matter how much sense it makes. Largely, I might add, because of stereotypical thinking about football talent.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

There isn't any set size for RBs; they come in all heights and weights. He's about the same size as Mason (6'1", 211). But, like I said, this won't happen, no matter how much sense it makes. Largely, I might add, because of stereotypical thinking about football talent.
Do you honestly think that nobody ever considered this? Or tried him there?

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. I’ve seen plenty enough “film” of TO that he is not a RB at this level and definitely not the next. Stereotypical? Please. It’s physics. His body would get fudged up with a quickness and he wouldn’t last.

At QB you generallly don’t have a LB that is assigned to you running the ball. That’s why he was an effective runner as a QB. You put him in at RB and he’s getting popped 90% of the time he touches the ball.

Players changing positions is like calling for the backup QB. You think it would be a great idea but you’re just a dumb fan with a keyboard.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Tobias, IMO, is one of the most athletic players on this team. Outside of the trenches, he probably could play any position on the field. I could see him adding 10-15 lbs to play RB or a hybrid receiving TE/RB/WR. Cordarrelle Patterson, the Falcon's offensive swiss army knife, is a good example of what Tobias can be on the offensive side. A good RB and receiver. Tobias is probably the most underutilized player we have on the roster IMO.

That being said, the other component is whether Tobias even wants to play on offense. He's played WR and QB for us already. Doesn't mean he wants to play on offense anymore.

I've made a big deal for years about moving Juanyeh and Tariq to LB, but it doesn't necessarily mean THEY want to. Coaches may have already asked them to do that and they declined. Coaches may have asked Tobias to move to different positions on defense and offense, and he may have declined.

Moving guys around is fun to think about, but the guys have to first be willing to do it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Tobias, IMO, is one of the most athletic players on this team. Outside of the trenches, he probably could play any position on the field. I could see him adding 10-15 lbs to play RB or a hybrid receiving TE/RB/WR. Cordarrelle Patterson, the Falcon's offensive swiss army knife, is a good example of what Tobias can be on the offensive side. A good RB and receiver. Tobias is probably the most underutilized player we have on the roster IMO.

That being said, the other component is whether Tobias even wants to play on offense. He's played WR and QB for us already. Doesn't mean he wants to play on offense anymore.

I've made a big deal for years about moving Juanyeh and Tariq to LB, but it doesn't necessarily mean THEY want to. Coaches may have already asked them to do that and they declined. Coaches may have asked Tobias to move to different positions on defense and offense, and he may have declined.

Moving guys around is fun to think about, but the guys have to first be willing to do it.

Agree with you about Tobias’s athleticism. A shame he got stuck in a secondary that is poorly coached. Would have loved seeing him brought in on wildcat plays.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Tobias is a great athlete and I thought was going to be a great a TO QB. Wasn't he given an opportunity at receiver?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. I’ve seen plenty enough “film” of TO that he is not a RB at this level and definitely not the next. Stereotypical? Please. It’s physics. His body would get fudged up with a quickness and he wouldn’t last.

At QB you generallly don’t have a LB that is assigned to you running the ball. That’s why he was an effective runner as a QB. You put him in at RB and he’s getting popped 90% of the time he touches the ball.

Players changing positions is like calling for the backup QB. You think it would be a great idea but you’re just a dumb fan with a keyboard.
In the VT game I posted excerpts from he ran the ball 40 (that's forty) times for 215 yards. Tech attempted one pass. That's one. If you don't think there were LBs keying on him after the middle of the first quarter or so, I think you need to revise your opinion of Bud Foster. Who was the VT DC at the time. And, again, if you watch the film, you'll see that Tobias got hit and hit hard on virtually every play, just like every spread option QB from 2008 to 2018. I don't think you know much about how the spread option was regularly defensed, But … maybe the full game will show you that. Here it is, condensed: