Greg Gathers

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Praying for the dude, he was one of the best pass rushers I've ever seen in white and gold. If he had gotten to play his senior season, he would have set the career sack record so high it would be nearly unreachable. I wish nothing but a full recovery for him and blessings for the family.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
He is rejecting his transplanted kidney and needs another. Hope things work out for him. Seems like an excellent representative for Tech.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Louisiana Observer: Ex-Wildcat battling kidney failure again
“It’s hard for me to ask for help,” Greg said. “Then there’s a guilt thing. I know what my mom went through.”

But Greg needs help. His kidney function is down into the 20s (that’s bad), but he’s determined to continue coaching his linebackers at East Ascension High as long as he can.

One of Greg’s former Georgia Tech teammates has set up a GoFundMe page (gofundme.com/2buqp38k) to help with expenses. Ramblin’ Wrecks from across the country are reaching out to him and his wife and are rallying to support him.

“It’s humbling,” Greg said. “The response has been unbelievable. The phone calls, the texts, the prayers. It’s amazing.”

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Kidney Donor found - Link -
"Chris Wallace called up Greg Gathers last summer, unsure of what he would tell his childhood friend. Wallace had already told Gathers, the Georgia Tech football great suffering from a failing kidney, that he wanted to donate his kidney if they were a match..."

One Hellova donation. Tip of the hat to Chris Wallace (y)

GG has been "lucky" in that he has 2 people willing to donate ... while they were still alive!
(Wish more people were signed up to be Organ Donors upon an untimely death; ex. automobile accident...)

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Kidney Donor found - Link -
"Chris Wallace called up Greg Gathers last summer, unsure of what he would tell his childhood friend. Wallace had already told Gathers, the Georgia Tech football great suffering from a failing kidney, that he wanted to donate his kidney if they were a match..."

One Hellova donation. Tip of the hat to Chris Wallace (y)

GG has been "lucky" in that he has 2 people willing to donate ... while they were still alive!
(Wish more people were signed up to be Organ Donors upon an untimely death; ex. automobile accident...)

That is great news (if there can be such in a situation like this). I have been wondering about GG.

Did not former player, Nick Claytor, also have some medical issue going on? I may have him mixed up with someone else but any info appreciated.