Great Offensive Scheme but Need Defense

Mack

Helluva Engineer
you guys crack me up.... over analyze everything. W's & L's are what matter.. the stats are just window dressing.
Stats can be used anyway you want to look at it.At end of day its the winners who smile and the losers yelling deal the cards.

thwgjacket

Well PJ his self shoudl be a good choice should it not ! He is quoted as saying he sold Erk on the offense and Erk let him run with it..I may not be looking at same PJ when the game is at the stadium but its clear he is not infringing on TR turf and rightfully so.Sure they have coaches meeting and sure a HC must be able to find out what the other team is doing but to me when we play football Paul gives the impression that offense is all he is looking at.Yeah I do not attend practice but have had time on the sidelines as a Asst years ago and we coached both sides of the ball.Not worrying about his mind my friend but am worrying about the folks we need to run his offense.I see your point and each coach now has things to do on Saturday but it was fun to see Ross jump in a defense huddle and chew butt.This is not gossip my friend ...Tell you what see how many folks think the offense is pJs baby and bet you would be surprised.One thing for sure I am not trying to spread anything but what I see.....in my Court if you say it you need to prove it.
You implied that Erk was not happy when the 3O was first being run. That's not true. Did he have to sell him on it? Of course, that's true for any OC interviewing for a job. If Erk wasn't happy with that type of offense then he would never have let CPJ run it. What do you want CPJ to do? Rip his shirt off and start headbutting defensive players? This isn't the WWE. There is a video on youtube with voice-over of CPJ saying "we're going to hit everything that moves." That was directed towards defensive players, there's your evidence. As for talking on the headphones when we are on D, he doesn't call the defensive plays. There's no reason for him to be talking over Roof. Of course the offense is his baby but that doesn't mean he has no contact with the D. To be honest I'm doubting you actually coached since you stated earlier that you wanted to see him standing behind the defense during the Spring Game. As one person already instructed you, that would put the coach in the line of play.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
You implied that Erk was not happy when the 3O was first being run. That's not true. Did he have to sell him on it? Of course, that's true for any OC interviewing for a job. If Erk wasn't happy with that type of offense then he would never have let CPJ run it. What do you want CPJ to do? Rip his shirt off and start headbutting defensive players? This isn't the WWE. There is a video on youtube with voice-over of CPJ saying "we're going to hit everything that moves." That was directed towards defensive players, there's your evidence. As for talking on the headphones when we are on D, he doesn't call the defensive plays. There's no reason for him to be talking over Roof. Of course the offense is his baby but that doesn't mean he has no contact with the D. To be honest I'm doubting you actually coached since you stated earlier that you wanted to see him standing behind the defense during the Spring Game. As one person already instructed you, that would put the coach in the line of play.
Nope was not on the headphones my friend ........but you sound like you were.In fact the Ga game his first year was the clip that he said hit anything that moved...Second Erk was not concerned with the offense as much as you propose.If you go to the Southern games and lucky me only fifty miles away you woudl remember that there was a DC on the staff but as Wikipedia and others say everybody knew who was the man who ran the offense.Third ........I can prove my time on the sidelines .......how about you and where in my posts have I said anything about where he stands............ye of little faith ...all I say is that he seems more involved with the offense than the defense and this should not come as a shock to you.He gives the impression that the defense is under control of a DC and looks like he takes little time during a game with them...Your love or bias for PJ is fine with me ,I think he is pretty smart guy and if you go back and read my posts I have said ...........the option is not my cup of tea not due to a Paul Johnson but due to the fact that we have not in the past had folks to really run it the way it should be run...Now my time on the sidelines...........1909-1970 Wrens High School,Wrens GA,1970-1974 Louisville High School ,Louisville Ga..........1979-1983 Thomas Jefferson Academy,Louisville Ga....just wanted the facts to kind of creep in this discussion so you can get your information correct.You have a good night....see you tomorrow.

thwgjacket

Nope was not on the headphones my friend ........but you sound like you were.In fact the Ga game his first year was the clip that he said hit anything that moved...Second Erk was not concerned with the offense as much as you propose.If you go to the Southern games and lucky me only fifty miles away you woudl remember that there was a DC on the staff but as Wikipedia and others say everybody knew who was the man who ran the offense.Third ........I can prove my time on the sidelines .......how about you and where in my posts have I said anything about where he stands............ye of little faith ...all I say is that he seems more involved with the offense than the defense and this should not come as a shock to you.He gives the impression that the defense is under control of a DC and looks like he takes little time during a game with them...Your love or bias for PJ is fine with me ,I think he is pretty smart guy and if you go back and read my posts I have said ...........the option is not my cup of tea not due to a Paul Johnson but due to the fact that we have not in the past had folks to really run it the way it should be run...Now my time on the sidelines...........1909-1970 Wrens High School,Wrens GA,1970-1974 Louisville High School ,Louisville Ga..........1979-1983 Thomas Jefferson Academy,Louisville Ga....just wanted the facts to kind of creep in this discussion so you can get your information correct.You have a good night....see you tomorrow.
First I want to apologize for the standing comment, that was Jacketup, not you. I'm assuming the 1909 year at Wrens is a mistype, if not then congrats on being over 100. But let me try and clarify, you say that Erk was not as concerned with the O as everyone thinks, you're ok with that, but not ok with Johnson not being as concerned with the D? I'm not even conceding that Johnson is not concerned with the D, because he is. But if he hypothetically wasn't as concerned with the D you wouldn't be ok with it even though you seem to be ok with Erk not being as concerned with the offense? Don't you think if people had a misconception of Erk there's a very real chance you have a misconception of CPJ?

I've been to plenty of Southern games. JT reminds me a lot of Greg Hill. Anyone who might say it's not a compliment to compare our starting QB to a 1-AA player never saw Greg Hill play.

As for not having the players to run the system, the stats really disagree with you.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
My friend at times 66 feels like 100 but to the points you make in your reply.If you go to the Sports Illustrated memories it was clear that PJ after four games had to convince Erk to let Tracy Ham run the option.Now agree having a hoss like Tracy running the offense is great way to start off.PJ said after that convincing Erk let him do his thing.Erk was defensive minded like PJ being offensive minded yet will tell you that from experience you have to be concerned with both sides of the ball.PJ in my opinion is a master x and o guy and spends great deal of time on offense since......he is his own OC.I dont think he shuns the defense at all and that may be where we differ,but its clear to me and others that given his wishes he is and remains a OC.PJ is not a rah rah guy when the D is on the field.He lets Roof run the show and that is a good sign but it would appear he would turn some attention to the defense while the game is going on.I have no misconception of PJ period..I think based upon what I see he has concern with the defense or he couldnt run his offense but gives impression that he is more a OC than a HC.JT does have same body style as Greg but so far we dont know if he can dodge folks like Greg.I have said it before in six years we have not had a real 30 qb....when asked about coming to Tech if he had known they were going to run the option.....Nesbitt said he probably wouldnt have.......now stats..well biggest and best stat is winning and now with HIS players not Chans we are seven and five...lose to Ga and lose to a bowl team.Again give me a Greg or Tracy or JC Watts or anybody on the championship teams at Nebraska or Texas or Bama and we will see a better run system.If this system is full of players who can run it my friend why are we slightly above average.We have had plenty of excuses but its time they forget excuse making and we play good football.By the way new side is finished at Southern may see you there this year so we can continue the discussion.
First I want to apologize for the standing comment, that was Jacketup, not you. I'm assuming the 1909 year at Wrens is a mistype, if not then congrats on being over 100. But let me try and clarify, you say that Erk was not as concerned with the O as everyone thinks, you're ok with that, but not ok with Johnson not being as concerned with the D? I'm not even conceding that Johnson is not concerned with the D, because he is. But if he hypothetically wasn't as concerned with the D you wouldn't be ok with it even though you seem to be ok with Erk not being as concerned with the offense? Don't you think if people had a misconception of Erk there's a very real chance you have a misconception of CPJ?

I've been to plenty of Southern games. JT reminds me a lot of Greg Hill. Anyone who might say it's not a compliment to compare our starting QB to a 1-AA player never saw Greg Hill play.

As for not having the players to run the system, the stats really disagree with you.
Agree with you Greg could play and so could this kid from Fla named AP.Now talk about hosses they had them and they used them well.