Great Offensive Scheme but Need Defense

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Thanks. I'm not sure you understood the logic of my post, nor the meaning of the word trend for that matter.

I'll stand by my understanding of the meaning of the word trend and the assertion that the offensive trends are negative.

I'll also stand by the assertion that yards per attempt is the best single measure of offensive performance.

However, to the point of your post, note that Chan Gailey emphasized defense, and was fired for records that are substantially equal to Johnson's over the last 4 years (Johnson has had two non-winning seasons in the last 4 years; Gailey had none in six years; thank God for playing two FCS teams in 2013).

GT had high rankings in defensive categories under Gailey, and people wanted him gone.

It is true that it takes offense, defense and special teams to win. Paul Johnson is head coach, and it is his responsibility to put together all 3 phases. He seems to only want to coach offense, as you saw last night. He stood behind the offense and coached them, no matter which squad was on the field.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'll stand by my understanding of the meaning of the word trend and the assertion that the offensive trends are negative.

I'll also stand by the assertion that yards per attempt is the best single measure of offensive performance.

However, to the point of your post, note that Chan Gailey emphasized defense, and was fired for records that are substantially equal to Johnson's over the last 4 years (Johnson has had two non-winning seasons in the last 4 years; Gailey had none in six years; thank God for playing two FCS teams in 2013).

GT had high rankings in defensive categories under Gailey, and people wanted him gone.

It is true that it takes offense, defense and special teams to win. Paul Johnson is head coach, and it is his responsibility to put together all 3 phases. He seems to only want to coach offense, as you saw last night. He stood behind the offense and coached them, no matter which squad was on the field.

You posted a stat from 2009 and 2013 and declared a trend. That stat in 2010 was less than the 2013 stat and the 2011 stat was higher than the 2009 stat. You can define trend how ever you want, but when 2 of three intervening years don't reflect the "trend," I think most would disagree with your definition.

I agreed that YPP is a good measure, and better than yards/game, for evaluating offensive power. However, I would rather have a team that scored every time they got the ball than a team with high yards/play.

I'm not going to get into a coach comparison. If you want to have yet another coaching comparison do it in a different thread.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Coaches always stand behind the offense. The play is going the other direction. If they stood behind the defense they would get in the way, or worse, get hurt in the stampede.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Plus he's calling the plays for both teams, so it's a little easier with that positioning.

CPJ has hired three seasoned defensive coordinators while at Tech, the last two with head coaching experience, for a reason. He wants someone in that position who will work autonomously. He doesn't want an up-and-comer as a DC because he doesn't want to have to devote a large chunk of his time to developing the defense. There is no doubt he has input into what's going on with the defense, but he's brought in the talent he has because they shouldn't need him micromanaging them. Of the three, I think he hit on one that will stick.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think Paul rarely calls the plays in the spring game. He usually listens to the call that comes from the assistant coaches. He does sometimes override those calls if the drives don't start moving the ball. He stands back to watch the execution, and to see how the play "looks".

I for one like Johnson much more than Gailey. Chan was a great person, but I never really liked him as a coach. I am biased toward the option offense though, but I understand it ain't for everyone.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I dont think PJ is that keen on the defense and with his duties as a HC and OC doubt he can share time to develop a good defense.Roof has the ability to run the show entirely and PJ likes that and I dont blame him.Big difference between Chan and PJ was the offense.Chan played defense well with JT but had no qb for six years and was Pro Set conservative. My kick on Chan was no qb and didnt use CJ enough nor use the talent we had on the offensive side of the ball.PJ not as good a recruiter it seems and has qb problems to but he is able to get things done with this offense.We suffer on defense but so far there is slight improvement.Both of the guy did at times suffer no fools which didnt endear them to the fan base.I still say if and it is big if and means nothing now,Chan had a decent throwing qb he would probably still be at Tcch.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I still say if and it is big if and means nothing now,Chan had a decent throwing qb he would probably still be at Tcch.

The interesting thing is that he had the decent throwing QB recruited and committed in Sean Renfree when he was fired. I was ready for Chan's conservative play-calling to go as well but I admit it would have been interesting to see how Renfree looked in Gailey's offense.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
The interesting thing is that he had the decent throwing QB recruited and committed in Sean Renfree when he was fired. I was ready for Chan's conservative play-calling to go as well but I admit it would have been interesting to see how Renfree looked in Gailey's offense.
Yep just a decent passer with CJ would have been great.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I dont think PJ is that keen on the defense and with his duties as a HC and OC doubt he can share time to develop a good defense.Roof has the ability to run the show entirely and PJ likes that and I dont blame him.Big difference between Chan and PJ was the offense.Chan played defense well with JT but had no qb for six years and was Pro Set conservative. My kick on Chan was no qb and didnt use CJ enough nor use the talent we had on the offensive side of the ball.PJ not as good a recruiter it seems and has qb problems to but he is able to get things done with this offense.We suffer on defense but so far there is slight improvement.Both of the guy did at times suffer no fools which didnt endear them to the fan base.I still say if and it is big if and means nothing now,Chan had a decent throwing qb he would probably still be at Tcch.
Hey mack, PJ was actually a DC at Ga So under Erk before switching to OC and then onto HC. He said he picked the option offense because he always found it most difficult to prepare for as a DC.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Oh come on now, that's just laughable. That position on the field gives him the best vantage to see everything happen. I understand you're not a fan of the ball coach....but do you really want him standing behind the mike backer to watch plays develop....and then get creamed in the middle of the play?....I don't post this often but...LOLOLOL.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Hey mack, PJ was actually a DC at Ga So under Erk before switching to OC and then onto HC. He said he picked the option offense because he always found it most difficult to prepare for as a DC.
Yeah my friend I knew that but..........still he seems to be lost when the defense is on the field.Now I know he is keeping up with the game but he seems to just wonder about his offense.From what I understand .....Ole Erk was not happy at the start with the option and even though PJ was a DC ...bet your bippy Ole Erk was right into the huddle with the defense.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At this point, there is little doubt that CPJ considers himself an offensive minded coach. I think he does a really good job of sizing up defenses and putting himself in a DCs position mentally while preparing his play calls though. He knows the game from both sides. I can promise you that. Personally, I have no problem with a HC leaning to one side of the ball. Most teams do. There is no secret that guys like Saban and coach B for the Patriots are defensive minded guys. You just have to make sure that the coordinator on the other side of the ball is really really good. For the first time in CPJ's tenure, I think we are there now. Roof has really won me over.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
At this point, there is little doubt that CPJ considers himself an offensive minded coach. I think he does a really good job of sizing up defenses and putting himself in a DCs position mentally while preparing his play calls though. He knows the game from both sides. I can promise you that. Personally, I have no problem with a HC leaning to one side of the ball. Most teams do. There is no secret that guys like Saban and coach B for the Patriots are defensive minded guys. You just have to make sure that the coordinator on the other side of the ball is really really good. For the first time in CPJ's tenure, I think we are there now. Roof has really won me over.
TR is a good pick no doubt but ,and it just may be me, it seems PJ just leaves defense alone and doesnt fire them up.Of course realize with TR it may be stepping on toes but look at his action on sidelines..he just seems to fold his arms when other team has got the ball.Like you said many coaches are really favoring one side or the other and both understand the defensive side but when a Ross jumps in the defense before they go out or a GOL gets folks pumped up that is football.PJ is a thinker and from what I hear calls on plays and says little on the head set..to each his own but when HC gets into a offense or defenses chilly things usually get fired up....

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Went back a ways and think he was a DL coach first.........no problem since when Erk turned the ball over to him and Ham came a running it was off to the races.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Maybe we should hire PJ as OC in two years .........

thwgjacket

Yeah my friend I knew that but..........still he seems to be lost when the defense is on the field.Now I know he is keeping up with the game but he seems to just wonder about his offense.From what I understand .....Ole Erk was not happy at the start with the option and even though PJ was a DC ...bet your bippy Ole Erk was right into the huddle with the defense.
No offense to the people you're using as your sources but they're just wrong. Johnson was promoted to OC in 85. They won a NC that year and, trust me, Erk was plenty happy. As for you thinking that CPJ has nothing do with the D, again dead wrong. They have coaches meetings constantly where he has input on the D. He monitors the D at practices. Whoever is telling you this obviously doesn't know Paul Johnson or attend practices. He has one of the best football minds I've ever encountered, hell Bill Belichik agrees. And he is a manager of every aspect of his team. Listen, if you don't like him as a coach personally that's fine. But don't spread gossip and unfounded rumors to suit your argument.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
No offense to the people you're using as your sources but they're just wrong. Johnson was promoted to OC in 85. They won a NC that year and, trust me, Erk was plenty happy. As for you thinking that CPJ has nothing do with the D, again dead wrong. They have coaches meetings constantly where he has input on the D. He monitors the D at practices. Whoever is telling you this obviously doesn't know Paul Johnson or attend practices. He has one of the best football minds I've ever encountered, hell Bill Belichik agrees. And he is a manager of every aspect of his team. Listen, if you don't like him as a coach personally that's fine. But don't spread gossip and unfounded rumors to suit your argument.
Well PJ his self shoudl be a good choice should it not ! He is quoted as saying he sold Erk on the offense and Erk let him run with it..I may not be looking at same PJ when the game is at the stadium but its clear he is not infringing on TR turf and rightfully so.Sure they have coaches meeting and sure a HC must be able to find out what the other team is doing but to me when we play football Paul gives the impression that offense is all he is looking at.Yeah I do not attend practice but have had time on the sidelines as a Asst years ago and we coached both sides of the ball.Not worrying about his mind my friend but am worrying about the folks we need to run his offense.I see your point and each coach now has things to do on Saturday but it was fun to see Ross jump in a defense huddle and chew butt.This is not gossip my friend ...Tell you what see how many folks think the offense is pJs baby and bet you would be surprised.One thing for sure I am not trying to spread anything but what I see.....in my Court if you say it you need to prove it.