Great interview with CPJ

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I knew there was some kind of limit but didn't know it was 20%. That's interesting.

What the article doesn't mention is when this cap was lifted; I assume post NSD 2014.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Guys, we need to remember the GT minimum standards were put in place for a reason and that reason still applies whether the standards are enforced or not. GT is no academic cakewalk. You have to be serious about it or you're not gonna cut it even with all the Athletic Association help.

This will help, just how much is the question. The good news is that, for us, the difference between winning and losing is razor thin. This new climate could allow us one more difference maker that gets us over the hump, finally.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
This will help, just how much is the question.

Imagine you are in sales. Now, imagine that in order to close a sale, you must invest months - even years of effort. Then, at the closing table, in walks the CEO who tears up the paperwork and scuttles the whole deal. What does that do to your sales efforts?

Now, imagine the CEO reconsiders and says to you: "From now on, if he's good enough for you then he's good enough for me."

I think this is dam-breaker for the recruiting staff.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
In the past with the exceptions the guys could take any of the easier courses with disregard of their declared major. There were also among these guys some Tech graduates!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really like that Peterson actually did something that CPJ thinks was a constraint in recruiting. As I've remarked before, talk is cheap but this is a an action. As has been noted, there are majors which require a survey of calculus. http://www.math.gatech.edu/course/math/1712 With the tutoring available, most players who really work at it should be able to get through. It will take several years to see the results, but it is good.

I like this interview with CPJ a lot better than the one with Bobinski. CPJ still feels the sting of last year and sounds pissed about it (as I would have expected). CPJ hasn't pivoted to putting lipstick on the pig of a season. Something is up with the OL, and CPJ was diplomatic in not discussing the details. CPJ recognized there was a problem (like D coordinator and ST coordinator) and hopefully has fixed it. Or at least tried.

DCS was right on when he also said that what is important is what CPJ didn't say about getting back to basics with a new QB. We have heard that too many years. Sill, I'll have to see it on the field.

The only thing I questioned in the whole article was the efficiency of passing from under center versus the gun. If we were less efficient out of the gun for the same do0wn and distance, then I agree with the conclusion. But what I remember is going to the gun on 3rd and a mile when everyone knew we were going to pass. Still, I really don't care that much because I'd be happy to run every play if we won every game that way.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder if this had an impact on Myles. From what I recall he was borderline, and I wonder if the restrictions hadnt been lowered, if Myles would have been able to commit to us. This definitely helps us for future years to come. I feel that we have been missing on a lot of targets that coaches have felt were good fits, but didnt have the grades.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if this had an impact on Myles. From what I recall he was borderline, and I wonder if the restrictions hadnt been lowered, if Myles would have been able to commit to us. This definitely helps us for future years to come. I feel that we have been missing on a lot of targets that coaches have felt were good fits, but didnt have the grades.
I wonder that, too.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

We aint ever...and shouldn't ever...know who these exceptions are / were.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I am sitting here smiling, thinking back to the end of the season and the meeting between MBob and CPJ. Does anybody remember all the comments about "MBob has told PJ that he better win the Coastal or he''s gone" or "that meeting is the 1st step in getting rid of PJ " or perhaps even "why in the world would they meet for THAT long unless MBob is going to make a change????"

As I, and others, said at the time is showing to have accurate. A top level review on the state of the program, changes that needed to be implemented for the program to go forward and an agreement on how to get the necessary/needed changes approved. Lo and behold lookie here and what has now come to light. :cool:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm quite pleased to read this. I'm a great believer in giving motivated people a chance if they show the necessary chops. The record comes after the chance, imho. It also shows a willingness to read the facts and go with them on Peterson's part that is rare in university presidents.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
We aint ever...and shouldn't ever...know who these exceptions are / were.
I can,t remember names, but some 15 to say 25 years ago or maybe longer there were names mentioned after they had gotten their degree. Of course that was really something to cheer about. Also I know there were multiple names. I believe these were in the Rogers and Curry era. I know O'Leary had some too, but I don't remember names.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I am sitting here smiling, thinking back to the end of the season and the meeting between MBob and CPJ. Does anybody remember all the comments about "MBob has told PJ that he better win the Coastal or he''s gone" or "that meeting is the 1st step in getting rid of PJ " or perhaps even "why in the world would they meet for THAT long unless MBob is going to make a change????"

As I, and others, said at the time is showing to have accurate. A top level review on the state of the program, changes that needed to be implemented for the program to go forward and an agreement on how to get the necessary/needed changes approved. Lo and behold lookie here and what has now come to light. :cool:
wut?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Disappointed that the diamond will be abandoned, how teams like BYU have so much success running the formation.
I'm not giving up on some kind of formation out from center. In the interview CPJ was quoted that their may be some different things such as this to work on. At least that is the way I interpreted it. I am with you 100%.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
I love the idea of lifting the 20% rule. I went to tech out of jonesboro high school who was in the process of losing their accreditation. I had very good grades but certainly did not learn as much as kids From schools up north. The first two years were a struggle for me as I had to play catch up in classes like calculus and physics, but I am a firm believer in that hard work can bridge any gap. I came out with high honors, when in the beginning the odds were stacked against me to even graduate. I'm so glad more recruits will be given the same opportunity I had to put in a little hard work and earn your way at tech. If I can do it, then it is certainly possible for our future recruits!

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I really like that Peterson actually did something that CPJ thinks was a constraint in recruiting. As I've remarked before, talk is cheap but this is a an action. As has been noted, there are majors which require a survey of calculus. http://www.math.gatech.edu/course/math/1712 With the tutoring available, most players who really work at it should be able to get through. It will take several years to see the results, but it is good.

I like this interview with CPJ a lot better than the one with Bobinski. CPJ still feels the sting of last year and sounds pissed about it (as I would have expected). CPJ hasn't pivoted to putting lipstick on the pig of a season. Something is up with the OL, and CPJ was diplomatic in not discussing the details. CPJ recognized there was a problem (like D coordinator and ST coordinator) and hopefully has fixed it. Or at least tried.

DCS was right on when he also said that what is important is what CPJ didn't say about getting back to basics with a new QB. We have heard that too many years. Sill, I'll have to see it on the field.

The only thing I questioned in the whole article was the efficiency of passing from under center versus the gun. If we were less efficient out of the gun for the same do0wn and distance, then I agree with the conclusion. But what I remember is going to the gun on 3rd and a mile when everyone knew we were going to pass. Still, I really don't care that much because I'd be happy to run every play if we won every game that way.

Gotta say, I basically agree with every point you make here. Great interview and I think the policy change with exceptions is going to help us, although it may take a while to see the results as you said.

I would be curious to know more and her other people's thoughts about your last point as well. I agree that it seems like we ran out of the gun most often on obvious passing downs. I don't know if a case could be made for or against running more from under center, but I do think a case could be made that we are more successful when passing out of play action. This is what I believe our system and style of play is better suited for. I bet that we aren't the only run heavy team that struggles more throwing the ball on passing downs than we do on "regular" downs. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to improve that, but I think we are better off when we catch teams off guard with play action.

I don't want to stir up another shotgun vs under center debate. I am more just trying to think through why we had more success throwing under center (This may be more appropriate for the Offensive Scheme Q&A thread). I am up for whatever formation puts us in a position to make plays and score points. If those two things are happening, I couldn't care less about formations. Touchdowns and big plays are fun to watch, whether you run the air raid or the wishbone.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
A bigger question is does this buy CPJ an extra year or 2?

As I've said before, Tech is hard as you make if you are SA. If you can't put in decent effort to get a 2.0, then there is something really wrong with you (Looks like Akins didn't want to put in that little bit of effort)