Great article on Dedrick Mills

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
This is my own, corn-pone logic. Might not hold water. But, I think the dots connect between a job like that and how filled-out/strong Dedrick was when he reported. He always looked like a grown man.

Jobs like that tend to make those rural boys what we call "country strong." That's a different kind of strong.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is my own, corn-pone logic. Might not hold water. But, I think the dots connect between a job like that and how filled-out/strong Dedrick was when he reported. He always looked like a grown man.

Jobs like that tend to make those rural boys what we call "country strong." That's a different kind of strong.

It is true. Non technique weight lifting that forces you to build strength in your core and in leverage is what country strong is. Its stuff like moving furniture, digging ditches, wrestling cattle, putting up fence posts, repetitive strong routine.

Its not unreal. Its a bit of fact to it. These people end up having strength naturally as a result

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Digging holes builds character. There's a lot of untapped potential at Camp Green Lake we could check out. It's a detention facility in Texas for juvenile delinquents, but the kids there literally dig holes all day everyday (as punishment). With some direction in their lives, I think we could make some great players out of them. They made a documentary on the camp a couple years ago.
holes-2003.jpg

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Digging holes builds character. There's a lot of untapped potential at Camp Green Lake we could check out. It's a detention facility in Texas for juvenile delinquents, but the kids there literally dig holes all day everyday (as punishment). With some direction in their lives, I think we could make some great players out of them. They made a documentary on the camp a couple years ago.
holes-2003.jpg
I hear the overseers favorite line is:
"what we have here ...is a failure to communicate."

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Has this part of the article been mentioned before?

.....he started using a program that director of player development John Sisk introduced to the athletic department last season. It's called Vizual Edge Performance Trainer, and it allows athletes to put on a pair of glasses and roll through a computer program designed to help their eyes get faster.

.....he started using a program that director of player development John Sisk introduced to the athletic department last season. It's called Vizual Edge Performance Trainer, and it allows athletes to put on a pair of glasses and roll through a computer program designed to help their eyes get faster.
No, it has not been mentioned here, but isn't that new technology awesome?

LibertyTurns

Banned

This exactly the kind of stuff GT should excel at. There should be NOBODY better at using technology to improve athlete's performance than the best technological institute, with superior sports programs located in one of the best cities in the world. We should have all the major sports equipment, etc manufacturers beating down our doors trying to leverage our engineering research and entrepreneurial prowess to design, develop and improve their products.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This exactly the kind of stuff GT should excel at. There should be NOBODY better at using technology to improve athlete's performance than the best technological institute, with superior sports programs located in one of the best cities in the world. We should have all the major sports equipment, etc manufacturers beating down our doors trying to leverage our engineering research and entrepreneurial prowess to design, develop and improve their products.
Is there such a field as sports technology and if so do we have it at Tech? It seems to me, that would be the way to attract the private sector to our doors.