Grant Aasen "Answering His Calling"

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050317aaa.html

Grant Aasen agrees and is ready to make his next move.

But the Fayetteville, Ga., native's next move isn't going to be at Bobby Dodd Stadium and won't be measured in yards. Instead, it will be at Notre Dame Seminary in New Orleans and will be measured in steps -- one at a time.

"I didn't plan on it, it really didn't even cross my mind when I came to college. [It was] about two years ago I started considering it," said Aasen. "The past year, I've kind of known that that was where I was going to end up going. I visited Notre Dame over spring break with my dad and that kind of started the ball rolling.

"I really didn't make my final decision until last weekend right before I told Coach [Paul] Johnson," he continued. "He's been very positive, so that did help a lot. That's where God's calling me to go. He's calling me to go now and not next year. I love football. If I wasn't going to seminary, I'd be coming back -- there'd be no question about it. I just know that at some point I just realized, I'm called to go. This is where God wants me to go right now and I can't really do much else but to kind of say 'yes' to that and put everything else to the side."

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
And he ANSWERED! Blessing to Grant.

Not unknown.

Know the Pastor at Calvary United Methodist Church is a Tech Grad. Makes a great Sunday to visit.

Had a child hood friend that went from AE at Univ. of Washington, to an E6 Prowler, to being a Pastor as well.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I think most would be surprised how many take the path from GT to ministry. Some on this very message board in fact. Alllll that math and physics just to end up studying souls and another Textbook the rest of your life... :) GT teaches you how to think rigorously and logically which helps in any calling.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Growing up, the pastor at my church was a GT grad. Sid Gunter played on the 1968 football team too (image below). His consistent jabs at UGA made Sunday service more enjoyable as I started to figure out where I wanted to go for college. Hope Grant can spread the GT gospel as well the same way Sid did.

uac375_va4710_630f2654a9.jpg

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
http://fayette-news.com/a-punters-prayer/

When Aasen began punting, he didn’t think about playing in college. After making it into Georgia Tech by his own academic merit, he was determined to make the team as a walk-on. On his first and second tryouts he didn’t make the team, but Aasen still pursued joining the team. He’d carry footballs across campus to the student fields, practice in the student gym, whatever it took to get accepted to the football team as a walk-on.

“I just said I’m going to do it no matter what,” Aasen said.

The third tryout, in the fall of his sophomore year, Aasen said it would be his last time attempting to make the team. He’d spent so much time on punting, and if it didn’t work out this time, he’d have to move on to something else.

The team took two punters as walk-ons that fall, a fate Aasen didn’t see coming when the football staff brought both punters in to tell them who made the team.