Grandma Talent

Jolly Good Fellow
How about we do something different and play good defense... Geoff came in as defensive coach....Can we make third and 12 NOT a short yardage play for our opponents?
95% of this entire forum babbles on about QBs, RBs, WRs, OL, the TO transition, Paul, play-calling....
We gave up 73 points to Clemson...73...that is impossible...Seriously, in the 21st century, this is 222-0 GT-Cumberland territory....
Tech is only EVER good when we play good defense... does anyone here believe that Geoff, a DEFENSE guy, has so far made us better defensively?
Look, I get it...he is our guy...NOBODY else wanted this job...he loves GT so I am 100% rooting for him...but it isn't as if he's spent the off-season working on his clock management skills...Geoff BETTER recruit great because he certainly has not "game day, Dodd-like" coached our team well....

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am literally so tired of these threads.

I can't wait until we beat the snot out of somebody just to make these threads and these posters go away.

Basic Internet message board 101 protocols say no one truly ever goes away while they are above the dirt. They just stay silent until something happens that aligns with their preexisting world view. And then come roaring back with a vengeance.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I can't wait until we beat the snot out of somebody just to make these threads and these posters go away.
Well, no better time than the first week. If we can't beat a bottom dwelling MAC team like Northern Illinois, like a drum then said beatdown may have to wait a while.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Which is the exact point Lee made. QB play isn’t isolated, rather it’s a very important part of the team. Quality players are required at multiple positions for team success. Of course you already knew that as does everyone who has posted in this thread.
Absolutely.

I think people are forgetting how dang good our o-line was in that 14-15 Orange Bowl Team, specifically in regards to JT.

Shaq was a massive piece of all that and it was desd apparent what he meant to that entire offense the next year when he was gone.

I mean, he was starting for the Patriots 9 months later. Got a SB ring his second year iirc.

To put all that weight simply on the QB play in regards to JT having a great 2014 is to ignore how awesome the oline was and we had playmakers in Smelter and Waller as well. All those guys had a ton to do w JT's performance that year.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Absolutely.

I think people are forgetting how dang good our o-line was in that 14-15 Orange Bowl Team, specifically in regards to JT.

Shaq was a massive piece of all that and it was desd apparent what he meant to that entire offense the next year when he was gone.

I mean, he was starting for the Patriots 9 months later. Got a SB ring his second year iirc.

To put all that weight simply on the QB play in regards to JT having a great 2014 is to ignore how awesome the oline was and we had playmakers in Smelter and Waller as well. All those guys had a ton to do w JT's performance that year.
Too bad he never had a staff who could coach him to be “elite”.
But yea Shaq was a killer and that OL could not be stopped. Good times

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Sports talking head Beau Bock is back on the air after his stroke. MANY years ago he coined the phrase that many of you are familiar with - Grandma Talent.
For those of you not familiar, it means having recruited( or inherited) enough football talent that your Grandma could win games coaching them.
Gentlemen and Ladies, we obviously have upped our recruiting and added more better players than we have lost by transfer. We had a ways to go before Collins got here and still have a ways to go to compete consistently with UVA, Pitt, BC, etc. , not to mention ND, UGA and Clem. Both FSU and UL were train wrecks at points during the season last year- we beat both didn't we ? Check out

It gives a fairly good run down on our conference, IMO. In the group of FSU , UL, BC and Tech with new-ish coaches, we seem to be the one lagging behind.
Projected records for 2021 compared to last year:
Tech in 2020 3-7, 2021 4-9......ONE win increase
BC in 2020 6-5 ( WOW !), 2021 6-6.......Hafley hired coordinators with NFL experience in 2020 AND installed a Pass oriented offense in Year 1.
UL in 2020 4-7 , 2021 6-6.........TWO more wins
FSU in 2020 3-6 , 2021 6-6......DOUBLE their win total

We keep talking ( mostly ) about talent upgrades, but it appears that we may also be undergoing coaching that needs to get up to speed with the rest of the conference.
Not to say that eventually they won't improve substantially, but so far I don't see a lot of evidence that our coordinators are making impressive improvements in taking some better talent
and translating it to better PERFORMANCE on the field. Apparently CFN doesn't really expect much of a jump in that either
Let's face it - we will never recruit Grandma Talent at Tech ! We MUST HAVE excellent coaches that can "coach up" players to play smart , clean football ......sharper focus, less mental mistakes, better fundamentals, less penalties, above average special teams, good game day coaching with timely scheme adjustments and clock management. I don't think seeing the improvements I listed will necessarily guarantee more wins, but they would sure be excellent indicators that we are on the right track.
What say you ??

Thank goodness we get a chance to play football games. This whole post falls apart if we win 6 or more. Even still, we have ND on the schedule and are unfortunately going up against a bunch of upper classmen QBs in the games we have the ability to challenge for a win. If the basis of comparison is simply W-L record, it's really just an excuse to complain since the schedules are far from equal. If we're looking at talent, Tech stacks up on par or better than all but 2 teams in our division. The roster is extremely young, and following recruiting and transfer activity, it's clear we're on a path to separate further from #4 down the list. But we will need to find a way to break free from there at least periodically with UGA and Clemson currently cemented as perennial playoff contenders. The teams to beat are currently UNC and Miami.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it’s hard for prognosticators to look at our schedule and see a lot of upside. Realistic evaluations from people who don’t follow Tech, would immediately point to 5 sure losses. Nobody, but us, expect Tech to compete with Clemson, Georgia or Norte Dame. I always think we have a chance against N.C.and Miami, even if the smart people don’t.

that leaves only 2 games left to the “should win“ category, the rest are toss ups at best every year. I guess I’m blaming the schedule but I’m not really trying to.

I think it would be interesting to take our schedule and replace us with every other team we play.

what would Georgia do against Clemson, Norte Dame, Miami, North Carolina and say Alabama ?

how would NC fair against that schedule?

Miami would look exactly like us.

our cross division games include the perineal #1or 2 ream in the country, Georgia has managed to avoid Alabama in what 7 of 10 years ?

our poor expectations are exactly what they should be when outsiders look at things. Thank God we are all smart enough to know Not to be scared, we’ve faced these teams most every year since I can remember.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

Dude, it’s the off season. Nothing else is going on and you are whining about GT fans talking about GT football. If you can’t stand reading them then why not just come back here in September. It’s the off season and every teams message boards are the same.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Dude, it’s the off season. Nothing else is going on and you are whining about GT fans talking about GT football. If you can’t stand reading them then why not just come back here in September. It’s the off season and every teams message boards are the same.
I think the complaint was people bitching about us only winning X games.