Grandma Talent

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Sports talking head Beau Bock is back on the air after his stroke. MANY years ago he coined the phrase that many of you are familiar with - Grandma Talent.
For those of you not familiar, it means having recruited( or inherited) enough football talent that your Grandma could win games coaching them.
Gentlemen and Ladies, we obviously have upped our recruiting and added more better players than we have lost by transfer. We had a ways to go before Collins got here and still have a ways to go to compete consistently with UVA, Pitt, BC, etc. , not to mention ND, UGA and Clem. Both FSU and UL were train wrecks at points during the season last year- we beat both didn't we ? Check out

It gives a fairly good run down on our conference, IMO. In the group of FSU , UL, BC and Tech with new-ish coaches, we seem to be the one lagging behind.
Projected records for 2021 compared to last year:
Tech in 2020 3-7, 2021 4-9......ONE win increase
BC in 2020 6-5 ( WOW !), 2021 6-6.......Hafley hired coordinators with NFL experience in 2020 AND installed a Pass oriented offense in Year 1.
UL in 2020 4-7 , 2021 6-6.........TWO more wins
FSU in 2020 3-6 , 2021 6-6......DOUBLE their win total

We keep talking ( mostly ) about talent upgrades, but it appears that we may also be undergoing coaching that needs to get up to speed with the rest of the conference.
Not to say that eventually they won't improve substantially, but so far I don't see a lot of evidence that our coordinators are making impressive improvements in taking some better talent
and translating it to better PERFORMANCE on the field. Apparently CFN doesn't really expect much of a jump in that either
Let's face it - we will never recruit Grandma Talent at Tech ! We MUST HAVE excellent coaches that can "coach up" players to play smart , clean football ......sharper focus, less mental mistakes, better fundamentals, less penalties, above average special teams, good game day coaching with timely scheme adjustments and clock management. I don't think seeing the improvements I listed will necessarily guarantee more wins, but they would sure be excellent indicators that we are on the right track.
What say you ??

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't think seeing the improvements I listed will necessarily guarantee more wins, but they would sure be excellent indicators that we are on the right track.
What say you ??

I say that basing a discussion on what people think is going to happen is akin to having your palm read or reading tarot cards or goat entrails or listening to astrology comments from Madam Rose at the county fair. I have lived through too many Tech seasons or even individual games that play out far differently than what 'was expected" (in either direction) to really pay predictions much attention.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I say that basing a discussion on what people think is going to happen is akin to having your palm read or reading tarot cards or goat entrails or listening to astrology comments from Madam Rose at the county fair. I have lived through too many Tech seasons or even individual games that play out far differently than what 'was expected" (in either direction) to really pay predictions much attention.
It's the College Football off season and recruiting dead period, I hate the NBA, the Brewers and Braves are meh, and Aaron Rodgers is really pissing me off.
Call it boredom.........and I bet I have lived through many more Tech seasons than you.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Who do you think knows more about GT football? Someone who studies 130 teams, or someone who follows GT?

I don't put a lot of credence in the national pubs on stuff like this, because unless the team is a CFB Playoff contender, their analysis is pretty lacking.
Agreed. College football rosters change immensely each year due to turnover in personnel and the fact that young guys can and do greatly improve their skills and their physical maturity from year to year.

Those guys don't analyze roster changes. They say "well, this team had x wins last year so they will be about the same this year." Extremely shallow analysis. Yes, thy can predict that Alabama will be good, since their roster turnover is just a matter of reloading. When you get beyond about 10 teams, their predictions are mostly worthless because they don't study roster turnover much beyond "is the QB returning?".

In the 80's I spent 30 hours a week in-season and too much time between seasons studying college football. It was harder in those days with no internet. Heading into the 1990 season I didn't see a team on our schedule I didn't think we could beat based on our roster and opposing rosters. Yet, because we were 7-4 in 1989, we weren't even ranked in the preseason by the so called experts. We see how that turned out. We didn't win the AP poll because sportswriters are generally not analytical--and they probably didn't want to admit they were so far off in their preseason rankings.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Sports talking head Beau Bock is back on the air after his stroke. MANY years ago he coined the phrase that many of you are familiar with - Grandma Talent.
For those of you not familiar, it means having recruited( or inherited) enough football talent that your Grandma could win games coaching them.
Gentlemen and Ladies, we obviously have upped our recruiting and added more better players than we have lost by transfer. We had a ways to go before Collins got here and still have a ways to go to compete consistently with UVA, Pitt, BC, etc. , not to mention ND, UGA and Clem. Both FSU and UL were train wrecks at points during the season last year- we beat both didn't we ? Check out

It gives a fairly good run down on our conference, IMO. In the group of FSU , UL, BC and Tech with new-ish coaches, we seem to be the one lagging behind.
BC in 2020 6-5 ( WOW !), 2021 6-6.......Hafley hired coordinators with NFL experience in 2020 AND installed a Pass oriented offense in Year 1.

We keep talking ( mostly ) about talent upgrades, but it appears that we may also be undergoing coaching that needs to get up to speed with the rest of the conference.
Not to say that eventually they won't improve substantially, but so far I don't see a lot of evidence that our coordinators are making impressive improvements in taking some better talent
and translating it to better PERFORMANCE on the field. Apparently CFN doesn't really expect much of a jump in that either
Let's face it - we will never recruit Grandma Talent at Tech ! We MUST HAVE excellent coaches that can "coach up" players to play smart , clean football ......sharper focus, less mental mistakes, better fundamentals, less penalties, above average special teams, good game day coaching with timely scheme adjustments and clock management. I don't think seeing the improvements I listed will necessarily guarantee more wins, but they would sure be excellent indicators that we are on the right track.
What say you ??
This fool doesn't even know we were 2-1 against this bunch last year with our freshman team. Also, assuming we win 2 ooc, then 4 wins would be regressing back to 2019 with 2 conference wins. To improve, we will need to win 4 conference games.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
This fool doesn't even know we were 2-1 against this bunch last year with our freshman team. Also, assuming we win 2 ooc, then 4 wins would be regressing back to 2019 with 2 conference wins. To improve, we will need to win 4 conference games.
Who you calling a fool, suckah ????
Mr T Sucker GIF

Last edited:

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

What say you ??
I say "why pay attention to Beau Bock much less after having a stroke".

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

What say you ??
Hoping the coaches can tighten it up this year. We've seen an improvement in the overall talent level. If the coaching can follow suit, we might go bowling.

In general, I'm more optimistic than most about the talent level on this year's team, but more dubious about the coaching. We'll see what happens.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Hoping the coaches can tighten it up this year. We've seen an improvement in the overall talent level. If the coaching can follow suit, we might go bowling.

In general, I'm more optimistic than most about the talent level on this year's team, but more dubious about the coaching. We'll see what happens.
I think the vast majority of GT fans believe the talent level is improving and the coaching has been dubious. That’s the majority opinion. I also believe everyone knows this year the focus is squarely on the coaching. My concern is that the folks will take the lazy route and simply look at the record vis a vis wins and losses to determine their opinion. I think most knowledgeable and “deeper” fans will look at performance more than the record. I don‘t think we‘ll see much improvement on the record front but I think we’ll see big improvement in overall play. My belief is that while we are incrementally improving so are other teams. And wins are hard to come by. I believe Collins will get us there player wise and I believe he’ll get this staff there but it’s a process especially with a newer type head coach. I’m grateful that Stansbury didn’t go the retread route or the quasi retired route. But hiring a less experienced guy will make the process longer. But the rewards could be huge if it’s successful because Collins won’t jump at the first job offer that comes his way like Ross did. I think we are very well situated for the long run.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I think the vast majority of GT fans believe the talent level is improving and the coaching has been dubious. That’s the majority opinion. I also believe everyone knows this year the focus is squarely on the coaching. My concern is that the folks will take the lazy route and simply look at the record vis a vis wins and losses to determine their opinion. I think most knowledgeable and “deeper” fans will look at performance more than the record. I don‘t think we‘ll see much improvement on the record front but I think we’ll see big improvement in overall play. My belief is that while we are incrementally improving so are other teams. And wins are hard to come by. I believe Collins will get us there player wise and I believe he’ll get this staff there but it’s a process especially with a newer type head coach. I’m grateful that Stansbury didn’t go the retread route or the quasi retired route. But hiring a less experienced guy will make the process longer. But the rewards could be huge if it’s successful because Collins won’t jump at the first job offer that comes his way like Ross did. I think we are very well situated for the long run.
I am looking at them passing the eye test as much as improving the Ws. But I also think one follows the other, eventually.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Really ? Evaluating the team’s progress by W-L record is a lazy route ? Wow.

If we are improving but so are other teams, then we need to improve more. The complaint that our talent level Is so far below our comp (BC / Syracuse / Pitt ???) just won’t hold water anymore, nor will the ”historic transition“ excuse.

Win games. Don’t suck. If you can’t do the former at least don’t do the latter.

I get the 7 year contract but another 3-4 win season and the seat will be very warm going into 2022....

IIWI

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I rewatched some of the games last season and keep in mind we had no spring pratice and brand new players coming in and I for one was not mad at the play. We turned it over a lot with the circumstances It’s not surprising but anyone who watched could look and see that compared to year one that there was improvement we could move the ball down the field so this year i’m really looking for a few things. The fundamentals like blocking and kicking are the main ones cause those seem to be our two major issues if you ask me so if that looks better. let the seat be hot everyone else will get burned.