Graham Academically Ineligible

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we have all seen this before. Kid comes in, is super hyped, and becomes ineligible. 3 months later he is transferring to a JUCO of FCS school. I really hope that isn't the case with JG, but I wouldn't be surprised.

slugboy

Staff member
  1. We've had players, especially in their first semester, get surprised by college requirements and what finals are like, and have a bad semester.
  2. Many non-athletes go through the same thing. Some students go on warning their first semester, and come off the next semester.
  3. There are plenty of stories of students who went on warning, then probation, then out (like my roommate who returned after a stint a commuter school and graduated with honors).
  4. While life as an athlete is brutally demanding, there is an academic support structure that most students can only dream of, that's in place to help Graham turn things around. Hopefully, that works out for him.
  5. APR and academic standing aren't exactly the same thing as far as I know, but here's how the Institute measures academic standing: https://registrar.gatech.edu/info/academic-standing.
  6. The last thing a college freshman needs when the eyes of his family and teammates are on him is to also have a message board speculating whether he'll get his grades in order.
  7. Seriously on #6. How would you feel if you had a bad semester, and a bunch of people you didn't know were speculating whether you'd end up at a JUCO?

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
I had a friend play at tech during the O’Leary/Gailey years, he was named starter for a bowl game, then days later declared academically ineligible. He simply came back home for Spring semester, took classes at a local college, and then transferred back to Tech during the Summer with a better GPA, and finished up his career at Tech.

Now I can see there being problems with this route, especially with kids who don’t have a good support system at home, but it was simple and effective.

They would miss a Spring practice and no doubt be reached out to by other schools... Ahhhh, who am I kidding? Most kids would drop Tech in a heartbeat and take the easier path. Typing this makes me respect my friend even more. Go Jackets

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
  1. We've had players, especially in their first semester, get surprised by college requirements and what finals are like, and have a bad semester.
  2. Many non-athletes go through the same thing. Some students go on warning their first semester, and come off the next semester.
  3. There are plenty of stories of students who went on warning, then probation, then out (like my roommate who returned after a stint a commuter school and graduated with honors).
  4. While life as an athlete is brutally demanding, there is an academic support structure that most students can only dream of, that's in place to help Graham turn things around. Hopefully, that works out for him.
  5. APR and academic standing aren't exactly the same thing as far as I know, but here's how the Institute measures academic standing: https://registrar.gatech.edu/info/academic-standing.
  6. The last thing a college freshman needs when the eyes of his family and teammates are on him is to also have a message board speculating whether he'll get his grades in order.
  7. Seriously on #6. How would you feel if you had a bad semester, and a bunch of people you didn't know were speculating whether you'd end up at a JUCO?

I was so mortified after my first quarter at Tech that I did not even tell my wife how bad my grades were for 3 more quarters (Obvious Mistake in hind-site) I could not even begin to imagine what Graham is going through. An order of magnitude worse. So yes a big +1000 for #6

Wait a minute, I thought there was no number 6.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I have tried to clean up this thread. People, can we PLEASE not turn every thread into spitball fights?!
Hey @kg01

b8657254-ec4d-4ec9-aaba-8bde0b086618.gif

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Why does academic ineligibility for one game translate to taking classes at other schools? Half the M-F***ers on this thread would’ve been ineligible after their first quarter. Why can’t he rebound this coming term (at GT) and be back to even?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Why does academic ineligibility for one game translate to taking classes at other schools? Half the M-F***ers on this thread would’ve been ineligible after their first quarter. Why can’t he rebound this coming term (at GT) and be back to even?
No one knows if he can, some just look at past history to see how it worked out for others.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
So how about a loud Twitter prescence assuring the gentelman with stories of collegiate careers redeemed after the first semester/quarter?