Graham’s Game Day Observations

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
i am saying once we have good ol in about 3 to 4 years we could get a very good qb. The good qbs wont come w o the ol .
Art Brilles was very successful at u of Houston before he moved to Baylor. Baylor had a track record of being terrible but having nfl quality line men which brilles added to. . When brilles came he brought rg3 ( 4. 41 40 yd dash) who sat out year iirc and won the 2011 hiesman. It was a great time and and then thugs followed in 12.

Our best case is defense becomes solid and key builds out a quality ol to which we recruit a top qb and wr.

I'd like to ask a serious question and this is really for everyone on the board... Would you be ok with 3-4 straight losing seasons until we can get the "right" body types and skill sets?

Deleted member 2897

I'd like to ask a serious question and this is really for everyone on the board... Would you be ok with 3-4 straight losing seasons until we can get the "right" body types and skill sets?

The only reason we’d need to do that would be to play offensive and defensive schemes our players aren’t geared for. So then we should ask the coaches why they would be doing that.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Assuming the run plays were called from the sidelines and we're not through options. If some of those were true options you need to work on those for sure.
Watching live it looked like Graham was locking onto one receiver a lot of plays never checked to see the second or third option. Hence... interceptions :(

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Definitely agree with you on his willingness to stay in the pocket. Not sure that I agree with you on his willingness to take a hit though. I think you might be talking about the play where he ran out of bounds on 3rd down and didn’t make a play for the marker. Bad play, lack of situational awareness, yes. Oliver is more physical and can break tackles. Graham looked pretty good though on that play where he got it to the 2.

He’s probably being coached not to take hits when you don’t have to. Slide and run for the sidelines and out of bounds. That’s what more mobile qb’s are being directed to do.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Assuming the run plays were called from the sidelines and we're not through options. If some of those were true options you need to work on those for sure.
Watching live it looked like Graham was locking onto one receiver a lot of plays never checked to see the second or third option. Hence... interceptions :(

I disagree. He scans the field. The interceptions are more due to him not reading the deep safety properly. It’s three times that he hasn’t accounted for him on throws up the seam. I’m gonna assume that’s something they are really gonna have to take notice of.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Collins is going to feel some heat after this season, despite TStan’s vote of confidence and despite all the excellence, work ethic and elite platitudes and the “warm fuzzies” about the monumental task he inherited. If he can snag some immediate talent through the transfer portal, I think he jumps at the opportunity. He may have more available slots by then, anyway.

No way Collins is going to feel some heat anytime soon. We have a basketball coach who is still talking about Josh Okogee and has that program on probation...and he still has a job

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I think that is a bit too much. We have been through this before under Curry and Ross.Both had rough transitions and losing seasons their first 2 years but had winning seasons in year 3. Based on my history at Tech I would be concerned with sub -.500 in year 3.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Sticking to JG in this thread:

1) He absolutely got targeted on that hit by #13 when he slid. Should have been an ejection!

2) Best ability and willingness to stand in the pocket and make a throw downfield that I've seen at GT in a long time.

3) Some athletes just play with an exuberance that makes you root for them. It's why I've become such a fan of Trae Young. Sports are FUN. JG has this. When he makes a big play, or just misses a big play. He's just got that energy.

Buzz1126

Georgia Tech Fan
Seems like most of y'all think Graham is the LT solution at QB. I don't see him playing past this season as Yates will be the starter going forward. Inside knowledge suggests Collins knows that once he starts Yates there's no turning back.

However Collins wants Yates for 4 years, I don't expect to see him til past the halfway mark.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Seems like most of y'all think Graham is the LT solution at QB. I don't see him playing past this season as Yates will be the starter going forward. Inside knowledge suggests Collins knows that once he starts Yates there's no turning back.

However Collins wants Yates for 4 years, I don't expect to see him til past the halfway mark.

I don't see anyone suggesting JG is the long term answer. He may be, or it may be someone who isn't even in the program yet.

What is your inside knowledge of Yates based on? Not calling you a liar.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I will be disappointed if JG doesn't continus to start and get the majority of snap.
IMO, he has shown the potential and is just missing on some of his throws, reps and experience is what he needs ... 171 yards passing, that is "showing improvement" !!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
People often forget that Graham is just a redshirt freshmen...on top of that, he's running a new offense (that's 2 in 2 years), and had to claw his way back in the classroom which is no easy feat at GT. He's probably gotten the least amount of reps of our 3 QBs.

There's flashes where you're like "Holy crap he can be really good", and then there's times you're like "WTF was that?!" That's part and parcel with a young QB. The hope is that we start seeing an increase in his understanding of the offense as the season progresses.

Also, I think Graham isn't 100% healthy. He doesn't have that extra gear we saw last season when he was easily blowing by defenders. I believe he was in a walking boot a few weeks ago?

Right now our best overall QB is Graham, and we need to give him as many reps as possible because right now this season is about laying the foundation for the next 2-3 years until we get the roster in the mold of where the coaches want it. I'd love to see a Trevor Lawrence or DeShaun Watson walk through our doors, but I don't see that happening until our staff can start to turn the ship around. We've got to start building towards that.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Who is the QB backup to JG now. Would it be TO or is it now Yates. I can see holding out Yates until he will not exceed 4 games this year. There is no real chance for a bowl game. What happens to LJ the rest of the season. Surprised he hasn't announced for the transfer portal.
To answer my own question I guess logical for TO as the logical backup with his experience and LJ out hurt. At some point Yates needs to see the field. At Duke 2 years ago in the 4th quarter we were no longer with any chance to win and could not understand why LJ at least didn’t get some PT then. We may have that situation for Yates before the year is over.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

The short answer for me is "it depends": Does the team play hard? How competitive are we? Can we see depth building and players developing? How is recruiting going? Are the recruits coming in and winning jobs at a reasonable rate? Can you see better days ahead?

Record-wise GT had an awful first two seasons with Bobby Ross (2-9, 3-8). However, during those two seasons I could see the team was playing very hard and improving. In that second year we looked close; We hung around in games and I remember thinking we looked well-coached, hard-nosed, and competitive. We just hadn't developed enough to win, but good football was being played.

With Collins it's very early. So far the team plays hard and is all-in. I do see improvement and player development. The OL is a big problem because it was a thin group to begin with and now we have lost arguable our top three OL (Jahaziel, Cooper, Minihan), and also a Morgan brother. Excepting the factory programs most teams won't have much success with that many OL injuries. From the film I do think that--so far--our recruiting is up a notch with a finish in the 20s or 30s quite possible.

This said, our team is not very competitive at the moment. That's really hard on the fanbase. What will be interesting is to see if we can be more competitive by the end of the year, and who will develop into players onto which we can base improvement for next year.

Edited to add: Grahm and/or the QB group as a whole is a position group that we really want to see develop. Pretty hard to do behind a makeshift line.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
You only get 4 games before you need to burn a redshirt. If Yates plays, it will be Pitt at the earliest and Vag at the latest. If not by then, he will not play in 2019.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Who is the QB backup to JG now. Would it be TO or is it now Yates. I can see holding out Yates until he will not exceed 4 games this year. There is no real chance for a bowl game. What happens to LJ the rest of the season. Surprised he hasn't announced for the transfer portal.
To answer my own question I guess logical for TO as the logical backup with his experience and LJ out hurt. At some point Yates needs to see the field. At Duke 2 years ago in the 4th quarter we were no longer with any chance to win and could not understand why LJ at least didn’t get some PT then. We may have that situation for Yates before the year is over.
You answered your own question on the backup. It’s Oliver. That also limits what we can do with Oliver at other positions for now. Barring injuries, I don’t think we see much if any from Yates this year regardless of the mop up situation. Graham needs all the reps he can get.