Graham’s Game Day Observations

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
For his first start I thought he played well. Some nice throws but he missed some targets especially in the first half.

He needs to improve or better stated maintain his mechanics when throwing.

He has to get his eyes to move the safety. Both his interceptions were off the same play with him throwing down the seam and not seeing the safety.

Make better reads. I thought there were some bad reads on the runs early. He got better as the game wore on.

For his first start I thought he played well. Some nice throws but he missed some targets especially in the first half.

He needs to improve or better stated maintain his mechanics when throwing.

He has to get his eyes to move the safety. Both his interceptions were off the same play with him throwing down the seam and not seeing the safety.

Make better reads. I thought there were some bad reads on the runs early. He got better as the game wore on.
And he will continue to get better as the season wears on. I personally hoped that TO would get the nod as starter, but I am perfectly content with Graham getting it. Let's just hope that P'nut, now that Graham has started one game will STICK WITH HIM. Constantly rotating QBs is not going to get us anywhere.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing about Graham is he stays in the pocket and will take a hit and deliver the ball. That is impressive. He does not seem to have the same will to take a hit when running the ball. Seems to leave yards on the field. Now Oliver seems to be the direct opposite in that he’s much more willing to initiate contact when running, but less likely to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball with a hit coming.

Generally much tougher to teach standing in the pocket and delivering. So I’m happy he has that knack.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
One thing about Graham is he stays in the pocket and will take a hit and deliver the ball. That is impressive. He does not seem to have the same will to take a hit when running the ball. Seems to leave yards on the field. Now Oliver seems to be the direct opposite in that he’s much more willing to initiate contact when running, but less likely to stand in the pocket and deliver the ball with a hit coming.

Generally much tougher to teach standing in the pocket and delivering. So I’m happy he has that knack.

he looked like FR Joe Ham a few times, who also made some bone-headed, expected mistakes but also would stay there and take the hit to make the throw rather than tuck & run.

He has absolutely improved from earlier in the season. I hope yesterday ended P-Nut's QB Switch Program once and for all.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Guys, just remember Graham hasn’t played a full game until yesterday since his senior year in high school. It takes a few games to get the flow back after sitting for almost two years. I thought Graham looked pretty darn good after sitting for 2 years. I think he’ll drastically improve on all those things mentioned in this thread. One thing I will respond to is the comment about him running out of bounds instead of fighting for those extra yards. To that I say, time and place. Yesterday was a lost cause as is this season so no way should he take those extra licks. He’ll pull a Nesbitt at the right time and place.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
liked cgc post game comments on Graham ( live arm , some issues which can be cleaned up) and on defwnse = failure to stop conversions 3rd and long ( we will do better) .

I am glad Graham finally got his turn - and imo has more upside than TO We can build but he was not recruited as a passer.

A direct comparison is the Unc freshman qb ( rivals 4 star, top 100 recruit pro passing , 5.9 rating).
This qb clearly READ Our DEFENSES AND PLACED THE BALL ACCURATELY ON SHORT AND MID RANGE PASSES. Thier true fr is leading acc w 1550 yds

Just imagine if LJ was slicing / dicing defenses and we had TO and Grahamn on field with him.

liked cgc post game comments on Graham ( live arm , some issues which can be cleaned up) and on defwnse = failure to stop conversions 3rd and long ( we will do better) .

I am glad Graham finally got his turn - and imo has more upside than TO We can build but he was not recruited as a passer.

A direct comparison is the Unc freshman qb ( rivals 4 star, top 100 recruit pro passing , 5.9 rating).
This qb clearly READ Our DEFENSES AND PLACED THE BALL ACCURATELY ON SHORT AND MID RANGE PASSES. Thier true fr is leading acc w 1550 yds

Just imagine if LJ was slicing / dicing defenses and we had TO and Grahamn on field with him.
I frankly don't want to see LJ again, and I don't think we will for the most part.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I frankly don't want to see LJ again, and I don't think we will for the most part.
I never said that he should start.

Was trying to make a point about the type of qb recruit we are looking for - down the road.

LJ had his chance as did TO.

Its Graham time till he really blows it..

When we get solid ol in 3 to 4 years we will have our chance a "program changer " @ QB.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys, just remember Graham hasn’t played a full game until yesterday since his senior year in high school. It takes a few games to get the flow back after sitting for almost two years. I thought Graham looked pretty darn good after sitting for 2 years. I think he’ll drastically improve on all those things mentioned in this thread. One thing I will respond to is the comment about him running out of bounds instead of fighting for those extra yards. To that I say, time and place. Yesterday was a lost cause as is this season so no way should he take those extra licks. He’ll pull a Nesbitt at the right time and place.

Also remember that this same UNC defense held Trevor Lawrence pretty well in check with the outstanding OL and receivers that they have. This was the first game I have been able to attend in a couple of years. Watching live it looked like Graham was locking onto one receiver a lot of plays. Considering the record this year I was fairly pleased with the crowd, and we seemed to really rev up quickly when the O or D made good plays. I left more encouraged about the team than I was when I arrived, and particularly than I was at the half.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I never said that he should start.

Was trying to make a point about the type of qb recruit we are looking for - down the road.

LJ had his chance as did TO.

Its Graham time till he really blows it..

When we get solid ol in 3 to 4 years we will have our chance a "program changer " @ QB.

I don't know about 3/4 yrs for OL, what happens if we bring in say 3 grad transfer OLs for next fall while we are developing our FR OLs? Don't know that we do so, but it's certainly possible.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I think Collins is going to feel some heat after this season, despite TStan’s vote of confidence and despite all the excellence, work ethic and elite platitudes and the “warm fuzzies” about the monumental task he inherited. If he can snag some immediate talent through the transfer portal, I think he jumps at the opportunity. He may have more available slots by then, anyway.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer

Definitely agree with you on his willingness to stay in the pocket. Not sure that I agree with you on his willingness to take a hit though. I think you might be talking about the play where he ran out of bounds on 3rd down and didn’t make a play for the marker. Bad play, lack of situational awareness, yes. Oliver is more physical and can break tackles. Graham looked pretty good though on that play where he got it to the 2.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about 3/4 yrs for OL, what happens if we bring in say 3 grad transfer OLs for next fall while we are developing our FR OLs? Don't know that we do so, but it's certainly possible.
i am saying once we have good ol in about 3 to 4 years we could get a very good qb. The good qbs wont come w o the ol .
Art Brilles was very successful at u of Houston before he moved to Baylor. Baylor had a track record of being terrible but having nfl quality line men which brilles added to. . When brilles came he brought rg3 ( 4. 41 40 yd dash) who sat out year iirc and won the 2011 hiesman. It was a great time and and then thugs followed in 12.

Our best case is defense becomes solid and key builds out a quality ol to which we recruit a top qb and wr.