Graduation Success Rates

Well, as far as our graduation rate being a recruiting tool, sure, for those guys we are going after that might go to Duke or ND. For the guys looking at the SEC....it is not relevant. As some of you say, all these recruits just want the NFL. Even though only 1 to 2 percent will get there but in the world where an 18 year old has been told they will be a pro player since they were 7....well there it is. Had a long conversation with a former Tech player at the gym Friday. He had much to say that I will not share but when it comes to recruiting he agrees, we only have a limited number of guys we can go after. 95% of UGA players could never get into Tech nor stay there. He also talked about having to learn CPJs offense while having to go to classes. It pretty much confirmed things for me.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Well, as far as our graduation rate being a recruiting tool, sure, for those guys we are going after that might go to Duke or ND. For the guys looking at the SEC....it is not relevant. As some of you say, all these recruits just want the NFL. Even though only 1 to 2 percent will get there but in the world where an 18 year old has been told they will be a pro player since they were 7....well there it is. Had a long conversation with a former Tech player at the gym Friday. He had much to say that I will not share but when it comes to recruiting he agrees, we only have a limited number of guys we can go after. 95% of UGA players could never get into Tech nor stay there. He also talked about having to learn CPJs offense while having to go to classes. It pretty much confirmed things for me.
You seen our HTS degree? No offense to anyone but we’re not exactly cranking out astrophysicists or engineers, etc over there. Go to a community college & transfer in the 2 math & 1 computer science class then you basically have to check the boxes on the others. Yes, it’s a solid degree, you do have to work to get the degree and someone can have a great career with it but it’s not the 100lb calculus book everyone gets their panties in a wad over. I’m sure we could figure out a way to keep most guys active if we wanted to. I know there’s guys like Lett, Gore, Leaf, etc that would never make it but we gotta have some standards.

You seen our HTS degree? No offense to anyone but we’re not exactly cranking out astrophysicists or engineers, etc over there. Go to a community college & transfer in the 2 math & 1 computer science class then you basically have to check the boxes on the others. Yes, it’s a solid degree, you do have to work to get the degree and someone can have a great career with it but it’s not the 100lb calculus book everyone gets their panties in a wad over. I’m sure we could figure out a way to keep most guys active if we wanted to. I know there’s guys like Lett, Gore, Leaf, etc that would never make it but we gotta have some standards.

Basically Industrial Management, the degree many football players at Tech got. But it is not PE, or Sports History. Even with these majors, they are not attainable by 95% of the SEC....except of course Vandy.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Had a long conversation with a former Tech player at the gym Friday. He had much to say that I will not share but when it comes to recruiting he agrees, we only have a limited number of guys we can go after. 95% of UGA players could never get into Tech nor stay there.
Not true anymore. If they have the basic number of math, English, etc credits Tech requires they can probably get them in. Yes, they work harder than most SEC schools or Clemson, but like Liberty Turns says, we have liberal arts majors now, and it's not exactly EE or even what IM used to be. If they follow the rules the staff will get them through.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Not true anymore. If they have the basic number of math, English, etc credits Tech requires they can probably get them in.
You may be right. I’ve taught athletes across 3 universities, including SEC. Athletes in tennis, golf, swimming ... tend to be A students. Football and basketball, honestly ... can barely string coherent sentences together. Many of these are not ready for college. This is the ugly side of college athletics...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Basically Industrial Management, the degree many football players at Tech got. But it is not PE, or Sports History. Even with these majors, they are not attainable by 95% of the SEC....except of course Vandy.
My thoughts too and looking at the curriculum. Except I believe that the I am/management courses were more difficult than the ones in the current curriculum, I don't even see Accounting being required.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts too and looking at the curriculum. Except I believe that the I am/management courses were more difficult than the ones in the current curriculum, I don't even see Accounting being required.
My recommendation is to not take the title of the class as a representation of the ease of the class. Some of my hardest classes had innocuous names. I had an English professor teach "Introduction to Drama and Film" give over half the class C or lower. I've never worked so hard in an English class. I had heard it was an easy A, but this one wasn't. I know a little about HTS; it's not the cake-walk everyone is describing.

As for calculus, even when I was at Tech (80's and 90's) a large portion of the student-athletes I knew took calculus at Perimeter or whatever the CC was called at that time.