Grade the hires of the new GT Football staff

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I'm not disputing what you say or trying to start an argument, but if he's been the best recruiter in the STATE, then why do the mutts get all the talent?
Maybe he meant our best recruiter in Tennessee.

If he was at Tennessee he probably would be even better at recruiting

Then again, if like u pointed out he maybe better recruiting Tennessee at uga that's getting all the talent.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Did we hire a ST coach? I may have missed it .

No dedicated ST coach. ST coach will be handled by position coaches. Here's where I will point out that it's just like PJ did over the various years and constantly took a beating for not hiring a ST coach.

On the other topic. I like the staff on paper, particularly the defensive side. The meat of the offensive side seem good, OL/TE. I think Choice is a good hire although in this spread how much does a single back set need coaching - probably the simplest position on the field. Not sure about WR guy and how well he really coaches WR.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Pastner is proving what so many of us have said ---- it's just hard to recruit quality players to Tech. It's not like he hasn't been trying to; the big ones have just not wanted to come here. Let's hope that CGC doesn't find the same is true in football.
Hewitt didn’t have trouble recruiting NBA level players. If he could have coached them to inbound the damn ball or run offense that had any sign of coaching we might have had something.

slugboy

Staff member
Pastner is proving what so many of us have said ---- it's just hard to recruit quality players to Tech. It's not like he hasn't been trying to; the big ones have just not wanted to come here. Let's hope that CGC doesn't find the same is true in football.

(Basketball tangent) Pastner has recruited 4* players already. So did Hewitt and Gregory. Hewitt recruited some spectacular players. The last two years of recruiting were solid. Pastner made some big bets this year and missed. There are a lot of factors, including losing two assistants in one year. He’s in a position to recruit top end players, though. There may be ways that he could be better supported by the school and the athletic department, but he has enough to recruit well.

There are really good players who wanted to come here in the 2019 class. We picked other targets and they committed elsewhere.

By the way, we just got a nice transfer in Usher. Hopefully, players like that will start and stay at GT with the upcoming recruiting classes.

(Back to football) We have a squad of coaches, rich with GT coaching and playing experience, who say they can recruit at a high level here. They’ve recruited here and been recruited here and played here. They have enough experience to know what they’re talking about. Let’s give them a few classes to prove their point before we say it’s unreasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think Choice is a good hire although in this spread how much does a single back set need coaching - probably the simplest position on the field.

On top of that, OL coach Key will also be the "run game coordinator", whatever that is.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No dedicated ST coach. ST coach will be handled by position coaches. Here's where I will point out that it's just like PJ did over the various years and constantly took a beating for not hiring a ST coach.

On the other topic. I like the staff on paper, particularly the defensive side. The meat of the offensive side seem good, OL/TE. I think Choice is a good hire although in this spread how much does a single back set need coaching - probably the simplest position on the field. Not sure about WR guy and how well he really coaches WR.
Who is responsible to see we dont have 5 true freshmen on kick off coverage when return guy is an Olympic level sprinter.

Who decides who plays ST?
Do we play starters or do we practice up some backups.