Gotta admit it...

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I've criticized Pastner HEAVILY at times this year because I just felt like I wasn't seeing the improvements of a 3rd yr rebuild...

But I think after watching this Duke game today, he might be headed in the right direction.

We need to see some recruitment and an NIT this year. And also the missed layups and turnovers have killed us in every loss this year.. we have to get the basics squared away if we want to grow as a program. Theres no reason why this team cant make the NCAA tournament next season.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
So we are in the press conference after and I’m sitting kind of behind this guy but off to the side and right in front of Pastner. This guys says:

“Josh, Duke is obviously one of the best shooting teams in the country, how did you hold them to 2-21?”

I looked up from the stat sheet with a look like “wtf are you talking about? No they aren’t”

Pastner sees me and smirks and has to pause before answering. I thought it was hilarious.

GT11

GT Athlete
I've criticized Pastner HEAVILY at times this year because I just felt like I wasn't seeing the improvements of a 3rd yr rebuild...

But I think after watching this Duke game today, he might be headed in the right direction.

We need to see some recruitment and an NIT this year. And also the missed layups and turnovers have killed us in every loss this year.. we have to get the basics squared away if we want to grow as a program. Theres no reason why this team cant make the NCAA tournament next season.
Totally agree

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
So we are in the press conference after and I’m sitting kind of behind this guy but off to the side and right in front of Pastner. This guys says:

“Josh, Duke is obviously one of the best shooting teams in the country, how did you hold them to 2-21?”

I looked up from the stat sheet with a look like “wtf are you talking about? No they aren’t”

Pastner sees me and smirks and has to pause before answering. I thought it was hilarious.

Now that's pretty funny lol

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck

That is pretty funny. I would love it if Pastner would have called him on his BS.

I think that's the question when Pastner went on to say it's not about the defense, it's about effort. I appreciate the sentiment, but it bores me to tears to hear this kind of stuff over and over from Pastner. It is impossible for a reporter to get any X's and O's out of Pastner. Serious question, does he answer the way he does by design, trying to be cagey, or are X's and O's not his thing?

To the contrary, in an interview after the ND game, talking about defending Mooney, he did say some to the effect of "we made some defensive adjustments at halftime, but I'm not going to say what adjustments we made, but they worked pretty well..."

So maybe he just doesn't talk X's and O's to guard his secret sauce?

slugboy

Staff member

I’ve never even tried to get into a coaches press conference. How’d you do it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That is pretty funny. I would love it if Pastner would have called him on his BS.

I think that's the question when Pastner went on to say it's not about the defense, it's about effort. I appreciate the sentiment, but it bores me to tears to hear this kind of stuff over and over from Pastner. It is impossible for a reporter to get any X's and O's out of Pastner. Serious question, does he answer the way he does by design, trying to be cagey, or are X's and O's not his thing?

To the contrary, in an interview after the ND game, talking about defending Mooney, he did say some to the effect of "we made some defensive adjustments at halftime, but I'm not going to say what adjustments we made, but they worked pretty well..."

I think the purpose is that it doesn’t matter. The only thing you can do in those situations is provide bulletin board material. Best to just give coach speak. Why kick a dead horse? Coach did say he like our intensity for the first 27 minutes but that 4 minute period in the second killed us and our confidence (in not so many words)
M

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Duke is now 325th in the country in 3 point percentage. Funny.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I've attended a number of Pastner pressers and have asked questions before. I really think it comes down to 1) he's not going to willingly give out gameplan info and 2) therefore it requires the reporter to ask the right question.

Most of the time you get guys who don't actually know basketball and are simply box score interpreters, like @Peacone36's example and as is unfortunately the case for most GT basketball coverage. They're often satisfied with a coach-speak fill-in-the-blank answer. For those who listen and ask good follow-up questions, you can sometimes get some insight.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think Pastner is a much better game coach than I credited him on the hire.

He had a plan for this team (3's), and they couldn't do it. He found a new plan that works better.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think Pastner is a much better game coach than I credited him on the hire.

He had a plan for this team (3's), and they couldn't do it. He found a new plan that works better.

I agree, and I had that conversation today. He came in as a recruiter and soft on Xs and Os and it’s been the exact opposite. I’ve been impressed with his in game coaching.

He went from a 1-3-1 to a 2-3 today and effed Duke up bad. We just stopped forcing duke to shoot threes for a while in the second half and that was the difference. Putting Barrett in the middle of our zone was brilliant by K

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I agree, and I had that conversation today. He came in as a recruiter and soft on Xs and Os and it’s been the exact opposite. I’ve been impressed with his in game coaching.

He went from a 1-3-1 to a 2-3 today and effed Duke up bad. We just stopped forcing duke to shoot threes for a while in the second half and that was the difference. Putting Barrett in the middle of our zone was brilliant by K

That's why Coach K has over 1000 wins and only 200 loses... his in game adjustments are pure brilliance

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I've attended a number of Pastner pressers and have asked questions before. I really think it comes down to 1) he's not going to willingly give out gameplan info and 2) therefore it requires the reporter to ask the right question.

Most of the time you get guys who don't actually know basketball and are simply box score interpreters, like @Peacone36's example and as is unfortunately the case for most GT basketball coverage. They're often satisfied with a coach-speak fill-in-the-blank answer. For those who listen and ask good follow-up questions, you can sometimes get some insight.

I wanted to and should have asked about Brandon. He warmed up with the team and looked fine but I was a bit gun shy.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the purpose is that it doesn’t matter. The only thing you can do in those situations is provide bulletin board material. Best to just give coach speak. Why kick a dead horse? Coach did say he like our intensity for the first 27 minutes but that 4 minute period in the second killed us and our confidence (in not so many words)
M

Fair enough. Ya'll are probably right that he just likes keeping things close to the vest when it comes to strategy, game planning, etc. but damn, he is like a ninja at not answering questions.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think they need to make the NIT this year and don't think they will.
if this team could just have a winning record that would be a huge positive step coming off a 13 win team that unexpectedly loses its best player and is playing really young guys that need to further develop.

Next year needs to be at least an NIT team. (keep in mind what being an NIT team from a power conference means now. That basically means you were a bubble NCAA team that ended up on the wrong side of the bubble. ).

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I don't think they need to make the NIT this year and don't think they will.
if this team could just have a winning record that would be a huge positive step coming off a 13 win team that unexpectedly loses its best player and is playing really young guys that need to further develop.

Next year needs to be at least an NIT team. (keep in mind what being an NIT team from a power conference means now. That basically means you were a bubble NCAA team that ended up on the wrong side of the bubble. ).

I would still consider this season a bust if we don't atleast get a 6 seed in the NIT. While #1 and maybe even #2 NIT seeds means they could've made it to the dance, the rest below that, does not.. imo.