Gotsis vs. FSU

Jay Alexander

Jolly Good Fellow
When we lined up with 3 defensive linemen, I was like "oh crap, here we go" then Gotsis blew past the center like he wasn't there. Next play, did the same thing. Also, if I remember right, FSU was flagged for one holding call the whole game. I thought Gotsis legitimately drew one every series.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
1. Not only did Gotsis play well, he was also responsible for at least three false starts by their OL. They couldn't handle him. What a difference a dry field makes.

2. We were better on O. But I was watching through my binocs. We had several plays at the edge where if the AB had been Snoddy or Qua or Green (I know) or Cotrell (yes, I know) we would have broken their D wide open. For lack of a step of speed, we lost an extra 10 - 20 yards. I like Lynch (another good game), Willis (he played his heart out), and MLD (ditto), but none of them have the extra step of speed we need to make the O a world beater. It was inspiring to see a team that had lost its oomph on O still run so well against a talented D. But, despite great improvement, we have lost our edge speed, except for JT.

3. The bright spot for next week = Snoddy was in a soft cast. The bright spot for next year = Cotrell was bouncing around on the bench like someone who had never had a knee injury.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
1. Not only did Gotsis play well, he was also responsible for at least three false starts by their OL. They couldn't handle him. What a difference a dry field makes.

2. We were better on O. But I was watching through my binocs. We had several plays at the edge where if the AB had been Snoddy or Qua or Green (I know) or Cotrell (yes, I know) we would have broken their D wide open. For lack of a step of speed, we lost an extra 10 - 20 yards. I like Lynch (another good game), Willis (he played his heart out), and MLD (ditto), but none of them have the extra step of speed we need to make the O a world beater. It was inspiring to see a team that had lost its oomph on O still run so well against a talented D. But, despite great improvement, we have lost our edge speed, except for JT.

3. The bright spot for next week = Snoddy was in a soft cast. The bright spot for next year = Cotrell was bouncing around on the bench like someone who had never had a knee injury.

I witnessed some good AB blocks on the perimeter but the timing was off, especially those from MLD. The defender was assaulted quite hard but he had time to regroup and get in on, or make, the tackle. I agree that a little more AB speed would make a difference but also our timing was off on many of our blocks.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Back to Gotsis. Thanks for the post since it was one I would have done.

Simply put, I think Gotsis put in the best DT performance I can remember at GT. We have had great DEs and LBs, but Gotsis was awesome. He was an oversized wolverine / Tasmanian Devil with a seriously bad attitude. Golson took some hits that he will be feeling all week; it was good to see Gotsis didn't throttle back at all after the UNC bogus targeting call. CPJ said Gotsis played like a champion; Gotsis performance will stand out in my memory as what made the final play possible.

From his tweets over the last few weeks, he kept working and positive. No one can guarantee success, but I think we are going to be proud of him for years to come in the NFL.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Gotsis is amazing. I didn't think he played exceptionally better than usual last night; that's what I've seen from him multiple times. A combination of strength, quickness, and shear ferocity makes him almost impossible to block. Take the first part of the play when he was flagged for the helmet contact. He pushed the blocker back and out of the way like he was handling a bag of styrofoam. Just manhandled him. I can;t remember a better pass rusher coming from the interior.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
He was definitely better than usual and it probably gave him a job for next year. He is a man and has become a leader. Listen to Gamble in the press conference and it is apparent.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Gotsis's parents, sisters, and a couple of other relatives came past our tailgate before the game, All were from Australia.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
Gotsis's parents, sisters, and a couple of other relatives came past our tailgate before the game, All were from Australia.

He is Australian. I saw something a while back about his sister's and his family. Play like this and he'll make his money. We just need to find more.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No doubt. Does anyone else realize that the defense threw a shutout in the 2nd half tonight against the #9 team in the nation?
I don't recall the last time I saw a GT team tackle as well as last night. We actually have gotten to runners before ... it was just bringing them to heel that we couldn't do.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He is Australian. I saw something a while back about his sister's and his family. Play like this and he'll make his money. We just need to find more.
You know what? Can you imagine what it was like for them to sit in the stands for this crazy American game and see him play maybe the biggest, and best, game of his career, a game won by GT on the last play? What do you think he was thinking when he saw Austin get to the corner on a bunch of wide bodies?