Gotsis and Harrell

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
LOL...hard to say we are loaded next year when you are relying on freshman to carry a team. If you remember JHD was benched last year in favor of Harrell. This spring he was moved to a new position that he hasn't even played a live snap at yet. He is a unknown at that position who we don't even know if he will play another down at GT. Whitehead...lets just wait and see if he gets into GT. I read where he was tweeting that he was on his way to ATL which led fans to believe he was ready to go....which IMO he knew he wasn't eligible. Same went for Autry.."I'll be there in early July" yeah right. Dude couldn't even get out of HS. Custis was the same story. My approach to all this fandom that some bestow on players before they even play a down of college football is a " prove it on the field" mentality. That is if they ever make it to the field.

Well, we have come honestly by our skepticism this year, and you are correct in principle, but it does not negate at this point a good working theory that we will be much deeper next year at DL. And if JHD and Whitehead both make the team I do not think "loaded" is too strong of a term to use. Assuming everyone else stays. :cautious:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Didn't we try that with Cooper Taylor? Or has there been someone since him?
Wasn't he playing "wolf"? Thought that was a DB/LB combo instead of LB/DLine combo.

Regardless the note about by playing 1 gap instead of 2 gap should make a difference whether its 4-2-5, 3-3-5, or 2-4-5.

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
Wasn't he playing "wolf"? Thought that was a DB/LB combo instead of LB/DLine combo.

Regardless the note about by playing 1 gap instead of 2 gap should make a difference whether its 4-2-5, 3-3-5, or 2-4-5.
Ahh yes, wolf. That's right. Dont know what I was thinking. Thanks

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Whitehead...lets just wait and see if he gets into GT. I read where he was tweeting that he was on his way to ATL which led fans to believe he was ready to go....which IMO he knew he wasn't eligible. Same went for Autry.."I'll be there in early July" yeah right. Dude couldn't even get out of HS. Custis was the same story. My approach to all this fandom that some bestow on players before they even play a down of college football is a " prove it on the field" mentality. That is if they ever make it to the field.

What are you talking about? Whitehead is in school and eligible academically. That's not the issue. The issue was the transfer rules that force him to sit a year unless he finishes a degree at his previous school. His situation is completely different from Custis' and Autry's.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
His situation to this point is exactly like Custis. Custis was enrolled and practiced this spring and then was gone. I'll say it's different when he suits up and gets his a$$ on the field. Who knows if he will even be here in December. He obviously had academic issues at NC ST. Who really knows where he's at academically at GT. He didn't practice yesterday b/c of headaches? Just sounds fishy. Fool me once.....

What are you talking about? Whitehead is in school and eligible academically. That's not the issue. The issue was the transfer rules that force him to sit a year unless he finishes a degree at his previous school. His situation is completely different from Custis' and Autry's.
Yes, it is completely different but no less "messed" up. Do we not have a procedure in place that confirms BEFORE we give out one of our precious scholarships that the athlete is going to be eligible? And if you tell me that Georgia Tech was fully informed and fully aware of Whitehead's situation all along and proceeded headlong with this episode, I swear, my head may explode. This comedy of errors has got to stop.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
His situation to this point is exactly like Custis. Custis was enrolled and practiced this spring and then was gone. I'll say it's different when he suits up and gets his a$$ on the field. Who knows if he will even be here in December. He obviously had academic issues at NC ST. Who really knows where he's at academically at GT. He didn't practice yesterday b/c of headaches? Just sounds fishy. Fool me once.....

Nope. Custis hasn't made it through NCAA Clearinghouse yet. That's why he isn't at Tech.
Whitehead is now a transfer student. He is in Tech and will be practicing with the team and going to classes. He just isn't eligible to play immediately because transfer students have to sit out a year. Had he graduated, he would have been immediately eligible and would not have been considered a transfer student.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Can Whitehead finish up his Associate and still take classes as GT? Would that make him eligible ?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Nope. Custis hasn't made it through NCAA Clearinghouse yet. That's why he isn't at Tech.
Whitehead is now a transfer student. He is in Tech and will be practicing with the team and going to classes. He just isn't eligible to play immediately because transfer students have to sit out a year. Had he graduated, he would have been immediately eligible and would not have been considered a transfer student.
That is my understanding too. And as has been pointed out by others, you cannot transfer up a division without sitting out a year, unless you have already earned a degree and are now going for a second degree. Associates Degree allows him to transfer and play right away. No degree makes it an academic transfer with a one year wait on athletics.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
His situation to this point is exactly like Custis. Custis was enrolled and practiced this spring and then was gone. I'll say it's different when he suits up and gets his a$$ on the field.

No it's not. Custis never got past the NCAA Clearinghouse to be elegible for a football scholarship. Whitehead is long past that point. Whether you want to say it's different or not is irrelevant. It's different.

Yes, it is completely different but no less "messed" up. Do we not have a procedure in place that confirms BEFORE we give out one of our precious scholarships that the athlete is going to be eligible? And if you tell me that Georgia Tech was fully informed and fully aware of Whitehead's situation all along and proceeded headlong with this episode, I swear, my head may explode. This comedy of errors has got to stop.

It's been said a few times on here that the coaches knew this was a possibility. I don't understand why knowing he'd possibly sit out a year, like the overwhelming majority of transfer students, makes this an "error". Sounds like they thought he was a talented guy worth having in the program even if he had to sit out a year. When they found out he could take steps to be eligible this year he gave it a shot. It didn't work out. It's not a bad move to get a talented guy in the program. The other losses make it look worse but to think it's a mistake isn't silly if you ask me.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This issue just illustrates the pop adage "haters gone hate" (slang usage intentional)

There's no way GT is to blame in this case. We have enough info to know that. The other cases are separate, but we don't even have enough information to place blame. Most likely the blame falls on the students in those cases, as well.

(In the Custis situation, even Eric, who's close to the Custises, is super vague and won't blame GT. What does that say reading between the lines?)