Got Crack Back?

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
Awesome. If he misses that, MM gets hit for a loss. Reminds me of Deon Hill's grass nap block vs USC in the Sun Bowl.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Is that play legal? It seems if you really knock the hell out of somebody any more it is some sort of freaking penalty.

Go Jackets!

I may be misremembering(sic) this but I seem to recall that was one of the plays Beamer and the like were trying to get legislated out of legality.

I think the receiver has a set of conditions he has to meet in order for it to be legal (probably those set forth in @danny daniel 's post above). I think he has to take a certain arc/route and things like that too. Can someone with more smarts and remembry elaborate on this?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I may be misremembering(sic) this but I seem to recall that was one of the plays Beamer and the like were trying to get legislated out of legality.

I think the receiver has a set of conditions he has to meet in order for it to be legal (probably those set forth in @danny daniel 's post above). I think he has to take a certain arc/route and things like that too. Can someone with more smarts and remembry elaborate on this?
The rule says you cannot block low if your coming back towards the original ball placement from outside the tackle box. You're allowed to block high as we did.

Where the rule gets a little hard to call is when we use an Aback to make that block and he cuts instead of standing up and hitting high. If he starts from outside the tackle box, which technically he does, he's not allowed to block low. It's also a judgement call as to whether he's actually coming back towards the original ball placement or just firing straight ahead. We took out Cam Chancellor (VT) on a key block in '09 (with an Aback going low) that would likely be a penalty today.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The rule says you cannot block low if your coming back towards the original ball placement from outside the tackle box. You're allowed to block high as we did.

Where the rule gets a little hard to call is when we use an Aback to make that block and he cuts instead of standing up and hitting high. If he starts from outside the tackle box, which technically he does, he's not allowed to block low. It's also a judgement call as to whether he's actually coming back towards the original ball placement or just firing straight ahead. We took out Cam Chancellor (VT) on a key block in '09 (with an Aback going low) that would likely be a penalty today.

This, but ABacks in base formation start inside the tackle box, fwiw.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This, but ABacks in base formation start inside the tackle box, fwiw.
Thanks, I was uncertain of this. I was thinking they lined up just a shade outside the tackle.

Screen,P20Shot,P202014-04-29,P20at,P206.46.47,P20AM.png.pagespeed.ce.-wYLpZ8O7r.png

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Blocking Below the Waist
Offensive players who are outside the tackle box at the snap, and those who leave the tackle box after the snap, may only block an opponent below the waist if the force of the initial contact is directly at the opponent's front. However, they may not block an opponent below the waist in a direction toward the original position of the ball unless the ball carrier has clearly crossed the line of scrimmage.

From here: http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...e-football-need-know-rule-changes-2016-season

The "player who leaves the tackle box after the snap" part is new for 2016, I believe.

But this article in general is required reading, really. For example, the replay official getting total leeway on targeting calls is a welcome change.

tugdog235

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks, I was uncertain of this. I was thinking they lined up just a shade outside the tackle.

Screen,P20Shot,P202014-04-29,P20at,P206.46.47,P20AM.png.pagespeed.ce.-wYLpZ8O7r.png

A back's inside foot is in the tackle box and therefore in the box. However with the rule change mentioned above, they can't cut block back inside once they leave the tackle box.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The rules on cut blocking seem to be making some of the blocking more difficult for our small A backs to execute. I realize it is to protect the kids from injury but wow they sure allow a lot of what used to be HOLDING by the passing offenses now. They sure have loosened up on those calls. Seems like they could call holding on every play nowadays. I think this is giving more and more of an advantage to passing teams and is definitely making our blocking more difficult to execute in PJ's offense.