Good TV Shows?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Halfway through Hawkeye and solid romp of a show, so far. (Disney+)

Arcane, an animated show spawned from the League of Legends video game, was pretty good. (Netflix)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Huge Robert Jordan fan here. Huge WOT fan, as well. I've re-read the series about every 5 years since Brandon Sanderson finished the final book (turned into a trilogy).

That being said, I've watched the first 6 (of 8) episodes of The Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime and I'm heartsick. They've absolutely butchered it, screwing up storylines and such. With a complete series, it would have been much better if they'd have done like The Song of Fire and Ice and went 1 season/book. But, even if they did that, I don't have faith in the writers or the Director of Photography to get it right. The color is all wrong. This is medieval-ish fantasy. Way too many bright colors in clothes and everything is clean. I'm SO disappointed. It is reminiscent of the film adaptation of Eragon, which was a highly derivative book written by a 19-year-old Christopher Paolini, who said he could do better than what was out there. The cinematography sucks. The writing is sophomoric.

I'm not sure what the current obsession with lesbianism on TV is either. It seems that this has become the edgy PC approach to must-see television. Not sure I understand.

Last edited:

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
That's too bad. I've really been looking forward to seeing what they would do with WOT. I've been trying to figure out how they would make a series out of 20+ books. I'll probably still watch it, though.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm not sure what the current obsession with lesbianism on TV is either. It seems that this has become the edgy PC approach to must-see television. Not sure I understand.

I think a lot of people share this feeling. Not that they're against representation. Just that it comes across like they wanted to make a show about representation rather than simply making a good show ..... that happened to have lgbtq characters.

ETA: It's tough to articulate that without sounding kiinda like a bigot, but I gave it my best shot.

On a total other note, I'm ashamed there's a show called "Yellojackets" that no one's watched/reviewed here yet.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of people share this feeling. Not that they're against representation. Just that it comes across like they wanted to make a show about representation rather than simply making a good show ..... that happened to have lgbtq characters.

ETA: It's tough to articulate that without sounding kiinda like a bigot, but I gave it my best shot.

On a total other note, I'm ashamed there's a show called "Yellojackets" that no one's watched/reviewed here yet.
IM"H"O It is perfeclty accpetable when it is part of the story line and helps build the story. But when it is forced for diversity sake it breaks the storyline because it is obvious. Its like having a deep conversation with your significant other and your dog decides right in the middle of it that there is an army of attack squirrels in the yard and MUST let us know right now!

Lets be honest, it is no different than when a straight scene gets forced into the story. Boobs for the sake of boobs. But does it really make the movie better?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Lets be honest, it is no different than when a straight scene gets forced into the story. Boobs for the sake of boobs. But does it really make the movie better?
Caddyshack comes to mind for this. Just a way to make it "R" rated back in the day.

I would have said Monte Python and the Holy Grail, but Castle Anthrax is one of my favorite scenes. Does that scene still being one of my favorites make me lecherous now that I'm old?

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Huge Robert Jordan fan here. Huge WOT fan, as well. I've re-read the series about every 5 years since Brandon Sanderson finished the final book (turned into a trilogy).

That being said, I've watched the first 6 (of 8) episodes of The Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime and I'm heartsick. They've absolutely butchered it, screwing up storylines and such. With a complete series, it would have been much better if they'd have done like The Song of Fire and Ice and went 1 season/book. But, even if they did that, I don't have faith in the writers or the Director of Photography to get it right. The color is all wrong. This is medieval-ish fantasy. Way too many bright colors in clothes and everything is clean. I'm SO disappointed. It is reminiscent of the film adaptation of Eragon, which was a highly derivative book written by a 19-year-old Christopher Paolini, who said he could do better than what was out there. The cinematography sucks. The writing is sophomoric.

I've never read the books, but I am also not loving it. It feels way too much like a CW show - If you've got teenage girls you know what I'm talking about. Lots of young, way too pretty characters, way too over stylized and too personal relationship focused. As for the lesbian relationship just revealed in the last episode, I agree it felt forced and unnecessary. The "alliance and secret plan" could have easily existed without the need for it to be a romantic relationship as well. Feels forced.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've never read the books, but I am also not loving it. It feels way too much like a CW show - If you've got teenage girls you know what I'm talking about. Lots of young, way too pretty characters, way too over stylized and too personal relationship focused. As for the lesbian relationship just revealed in the last episode, I agree it felt forced and unnecessary. The "alliance and secret plan" could have easily existed without the need for it to be a romantic relationship as well. Feels forced.
In the books, they have a very close friendship from when they were Novices (16-20 years old), then Accepted (20 - 30 years old), then as full Aes Sedai. There is a reference to "pillow talk" when they're novices, but it's in the vein of "college experimentation" not lesbian relationships. Both Moiraine and Siuan have strong male love interests throughout the series. Not only does it not stay true to the storyline developed in the novels, but it also changes the dynamic of two of the strongest female characters in the story. Ironically, this series is full of very strong female characters, many more than male characters. I also hate how they've changed the development of Nynaeve in the show.

I also HATE that they keep mispronouncing the names of the various places and people. Tantor Audio sat down with Robert Jordan before they did the audiobooks and went through all of the characters' names and locations to get the pronunciation correct. Amazon has literally decided that they'll just pronounce the names and places however they want to. I absolutely HATE that. All they needed to do was listen to the audiobooks for the correct pronunciation.

For anyone interested in a highly complicated world-building, like Tolkien (-lite), WOT is an intriguing series. I would also recommend most of what Brandon Sanderson has written. Much better than these shows.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Just finished "The Expanse" , on Prime, 6 Seasons,,,,
For you Science Fiction nuts (like me!), this is a great series! No force fields, teleportation, warp drive, weird aliens, etc. ( There is the protomolecule!)
Very believable special effects, good storyline on near future politics! Earthers vs Martians vs Belters,,,,

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just finished "The Expanse" , on Prime, 6 Seasons,,,,
For you Science Fiction nuts (like me!), this is a great series! No force fields, teleportation, warp drive, weird aliens, etc. ( There is the protomolecule!)
Very believable special effects, good storyline on near future politics! Earthers vs Martians vs Belters,,,,
LOVE that series. I assume there will be more seasons on TV as the final book in the series just came out recently. (last year?)

slugboy

Staff member
LOVE that series. I assume there will be more seasons on TV as the final book in the series just came out recently. (last year?)
Odds are very low for “another season”. A spinoff seems more likely, but there’s nothing in the works.

The recently released final episode is being treated as the series conclusion. The show runners were really happy to get 6 seasons.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I started this a couple nights ago. Through episode 2. Creepy AF so far.
Just finished this and I wasn't let down by the ending. It actually held up reasonably well. I didn't know it is from a podcast, and had evolved to a netflix show, but hoping they make a season 2. Glad you are liking it too!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Anybody watching Peacemaker?

I'm not getting it. Had to turn it off. Is it purposely dumb? I think it is but I found it unwatchable.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just finished this and I wasn't let down by the ending. It actually held up reasonably well. I didn't know it is from a podcast, and had evolved to a netflix show, but hoping they make a season 2. Glad you are liking it too!

I'm through episode 4 and I'm no longer comfortable being alone in the house. :nailbiting::nailbiting:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I'm through episode 4 and I'm no longer comfortable being alone in the house. :nailbiting::nailbiting:
just don't start mindlessly humming..

noise tv static GIF

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Anybody watching Peacemaker?

I'm not getting it. Had to turn it off. Is it purposely dumb? I think it is but I found it unwatchable.
I'm watching Peacemaker and think it is the best show currently on TV/Streaming.

Other things I'v watched recently or am watching...

Ted Lasso
Book of Boba Fett
Season 5 Ozark