Good TV Shows?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It is amazing to me how different people's tastes are. This thread exemplifies it. Squid Game hold zero interest for me (and it looks like a redux of topics previously treated in years past).

I find myself more attracted to lesser known series. Clickbait was one. Midnight Mass is another. I thought Lupus was greta in Season 1 then lost interest in Season 2 when it became mundane. I think I may be the weird one, judging from the popularity of the titles you guys are mentioning.
Just started Midnight Mass based on your suggestion - will report back on if you're weird ;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I specifically came in here to recommend True Detective. Season 3 is excellent so far in reclaiming everything that made Season 1 so great.

Both seasons of The Sinner are very well done. Not sure if there will be a Season 3 or not.

If you've never watched The Wire it is quite possibly the greatest TV series ever and will turn you into a complete nihilist.
The Wire. I rank it slightly higher than the Sopranos. And I loved the Sopranos.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's on my to watch list.

RE True Detective Season 2: I think the criticism of it is a bit overblown. Still a good watch but certainly not in the same league as Season 1 and Season 3 so far. Probably not really deserved of the True Detective name but I can't say it was that bad.

Also should probably throw out a recommendation for Californication if you need a good Man-Drama to watch. I loved that show. I'm currently working my through Six Feet Under now. I can't tell if it's a good show or not but somehow I'm sucked in. It's certainly different which I like.
Six Feet Under is the show that converted me to the idea that a TV series could be good again. That “I’m sucked in” thing that you mentioned….it will maintain that until the end. It has a consistent point of view which it will sustain to its inevitable conclusion.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's on my to watch list.

RE True Detective Season 2: I think the criticism of it is a bit overblown. Still a good watch but certainly not in the same league as Season 1 and Season 3 so far. Probably not really deserved of the True Detective name but I can't say it was that bad.

Also should probably throw out a recommendation for Californication if you need a good Man-Drama to watch. I loved that show. I'm currently working my through Six Feet Under now. I can't tell if it's a good show or not but somehow I'm sucked in. It's certainly different which I like.
Forgot to mention that I agree with you about season 2 of True Detective. If there had no been a season 1 it would have been better received. It’s just that season 1 was so good it magnified any weaknesses in season 2.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There is something called “breaking the fourth wall” that is happening more and more on TV, where a character turns to the camera and talks to the audience. Some viewers are put off by that or find it gimmicky. I got used to “Frank” doing it in House of Cards and saw that it could be an effective dramatic device.

If your partner is into romantic comedies but also can handle trashy behavior I recommend “Fleabag.” It beaks the fourth wall also and made it easier for me to understand the characters odd behavior.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
@MWBATL @Northeast Stinger if you both liked early True Detective than you should check out The Outsider

So, I have indeed watched most of Season 1. My understanding is that it does not come to a conclusion as it was intended to have a Season 2 but was not renewed. BUT, what has really struck me is how similar the plot is to King's book/movie The Fallen. That starred Denzel Washington and John Goodman and so far it seems a carbon copy of the storyline. The Fallen movie was 1998, I think. I wonder if King took a concept and tweaked it for The Outsider

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Anyone
So, I have indeed watched most of Season 1. My understanding is that it does not come to a conclusion as it was intended to have a Season 2 but was not renewed. BUT, what has really struck me is how similar the plot is to King's book/movie The Fallen. That starred Denzel Washington and John Goodman and so far it seems a carbon copy of the storyline. The Fallen movie was 1998, I think. I wonder if King took a concept and tweaked it for The Outsider
agreed it is SUPER similar and the ending leaves you a bit unfulfilled - but I thought it was worth a watch for sure.

Anyone seen The Chestnut Man on Netflix? Seems kinda creepy but also probably pretty good.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Anybody partake in the Dexter resurrection? It's not great but it's something to watch. Pretty much sums up the life of that series, outside of the first 2 seasons I guess.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Anybody partake in the Dexter resurrection? It's not great but it's something to watch. Pretty much sums up the life of that series, outside of the first 2 seasons I guess.
Haven't hit it yet, but it is on my radar. Agreed with your assessment post Season 2 though.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Currently working my way through Inside Job on Netflix and it's pretty good.

Gentefied season 2 is on deck, as well.