Good TV Shows?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know if it belongs in the Movies category or the TV category, but I just finished “The Death of Stalin” on Netflix. The movie was loaded with mid-tier actors tearing it up.
I had read before the movie how incompetent Stalin’s son was, but interesting to see it in the movie. It’s got a good amount of death and violence mixed in with dark humor. Michael Palin is Molotov, for example.
Oh, +1 on “The Night Manager”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It's an excellent movie, despite playing fast and loose around some details. Beria wasn't as bad as he is portrayed, Molotov was not that spineless, Melenkov was generally considered the sharpest knife in the drawer by outsiders (but he was very scared by Stalin). Oth, Stalin was every bit as much a tyrant as he is shown, Krushchev was every bit as sharp, and Zhukov every bit as decisive and ruthless. If you like how Krushchev come s across here, try Enemy at the Gates. It's about Stalingrad and Bob Hoskins plays - or, to be more accurate is - Krushchev. It's one of the best supporting performances evah!

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
For real.

Knew a family in Tucker that had a son living in Techwood. Don't remember if he was coming in late from the Library, a run to the V or what. But he got the hell beat out of him - after they had raped him.

Family, beyond being devastated, was quite pissed that GT (according to them) was able to keep it out of the paper.

Thank Heaven that cesspool is gone.

You missed the north part of campus was a shut down steel mill that was a contaminated crime ridden cesspool full of drug addicts. The Biltmore was a boarded up condemned building. The 80's What a time to be alive!

slugboy

Staff member
It's an excellent movie, despite playing fast and loose around some details. Beria wasn't as bad as he is portrayed, Molotov was not that spineless, Melenkov was generally considered the sharpest knife in the drawer by outsiders (but he was very scared by Stalin). Oth, Stalin was every bit as much a tyrant as he is shown, Krushchev was every bit as sharp, and Zhukov every bit as decisive and ruthless. If you like how Krushchev come s across here, try Enemy at the Gates. It's about Stalingrad and Bob Hoskins plays - or, to be more accurate is - Krushchev. It's one of the best supporting performances evah!

Yeah, they were mostly having fun, and trying to make a comedy.
I think I’ve liked everything I’ve seen Bob Hoskins in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just binged 3 seasons of Kingdom on Netflix (the MMA family drama, not the Korean vampire drama by the same name) over the last week. It is surprisingly REALLY good. Almost like Friday Night Lights meets Warrior. It's a about an ex MMA fighter that runs a gym and coaches his two sons. His youngest is a good fighter, but his oldest irresponsible one is probably the most naturally gifted fighter at the gym...and that includes a former UFC champion who just got out of jail. The oldest son is a dynamite charactor, and the guy that plays him Jonathan Tucker does an outstanding job with the charactor.

It's more about family, friends, and life than it is about fighting. Lots of actors from Friday Night Lights make an appearance.

slugboy

Staff member
I haven’t gotten through the first season of the Korean zombie/undead TV series (the non-MMA “kingdom”), but it’s an interesting twist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Anyone watch the new (and last) season of Last Chance U on Netflix? Pretty good...not as HC driven in terms of drama as past seasons, but the players stories are all really good and moving.

BTW...I like California, but no way in hell I'd ever move out there.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Did you enjoy the first season? I tried to watch but kept getting bogged down

While I didn't read it, I'm generally gonna enjoy comic book related TV & movies.

I did enjoy it. It was a good mix of fun & quirky for me.

Milwaukee

Banned
Anyone watch the new (and last) season of Last Chance U on Netflix? Pretty good...not as HC driven in terms of drama as past seasons, but the players stories are all really good and moving.

BTW...I like California, but no way in hell I'd ever move out there.

Watched about 20min of Ep1 and turned it off. The coach and the players aren’t charismatic enough to keep me interested like past seasons.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Started watching Umbrella Academy around 430PM yesterday and was through 8 of 10 episodes by 1AM. Finished it this morning.

Really enjoyed it. Remains fun & quirky.

Also burned through the Epstein doc on Netflix today. Jeez Louise, talk about reaching the pinnacle of being a total piece of ****.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Started watching Umbrella Academy around 430PM yesterday and was through 8 of 10 episodes by 1AM. Finished it this morning.

Really enjoyed it. Remains fun & quirky.

Also burned through the Epstein doc on Netflix today. Jeez Louise, talk about reaching the pinnacle of being a total piece of ****.

I watched it with my 13yo daughter. Started last night at about 10. Finished this afternoon at about 5. I agree that it is fun and quirky.

My daughter was upset that the second season also ended with a cliffhanger for season 3, just like season 1 ended up with a cliffhanger for season 2.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I watched it with my 13yo daughter. Started last night at about 10. Finished this afternoon at about 5. I agree that it is fun and quirky.

My daughter was upset that the second season also ended with a cliffhanger for season 3, just like season 1 ended up with a cliffhanger for season 2.

I've never read the comics, but I'm pretty sure there have only been 3 volumes to date, so the next season may be the last for a while.

ETA: They're developing a volume 4 in the comics, which was planned for this year.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
I’m back to watching Peaky Blinders again. Beautifully shot series.
Umbrella Academy season 2 is on my list—thanks for the review.
Finally watched Act 1 of Hamilton—George III is something else.