Good thing we did not play Ohio State!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Running back? I will take that guy Ohio State had. He is awesome. The real difference between the teams is the Buckeye lines were much better.
IMO, if you swap the QB's and RB's, OSU would still win because of their play on the LOS. Not much difference between the QB's. The RB's are different because of their style of play. As I said somewhere else, ETN is considered to be the #1 RB prospect in the draft (or #2 behind Harris of Bama).

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
OSU looked like they played with a chip on their shoulder and wanted it more. Clemson may have thought they could just show up and win . Looking toward Alabama game. Losing Elliot didn't help .

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ohio State won the game on the line of scrimmage. Clemson could not run the ball and gave up on it then OSU started bringing the heat. Lawrence was not use to that and did not handle it well. Their receivers must have been covered for the most part. I don't think he even tried more than a couple of long balls. Fields threw some dimes, especially on long balls. Clemson had the guys pretty well covered but the ball was just in a spot where only the OSU guy could make the play. Clemson's defense played confused and that was on Venables for the most part. Once their middle linebacker was kicked out of the game, there was no way they were going to be competitive on defense. Same thing happened against LSU last year. Clemson has a lot of young talent on defense and they will be much better next year especially if that linebacker decides to play again. Their O Line just did not do their job last night and their play calling was not good.

I would say that Clemson will reload and be the class of the ACC again next year. Just too much talent and they normally outcoach most of their ACC opponents.

Go Jackets!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it is unpopular at all. I bet that there is a ton of Clemson fans who would agree! ;) . Just curious as to what you saw last night that made you feel this way? I didn't have a dog in that fight but I believe OSU wins at least 8 out of 10 times against Clemson. I didn't see anywhere where Clemson had a competitive advantage, even at QB and RB (which was a draw imo). Was it missing their O coordinator? I might give that some credeence.
The issue(s) came up against LSU: size in the offensive and defensive lines. Shoot, OSU was toying with the lines in the second quarter onward. Clemson is plenty good enough and big enough to get through the ACC season, but get to the NC playoffs and you go against the big boys, and the last two years it jumped out at them. Top off OSU with getting its plays changed and/or in motion before Venables could signal in his defense. Don't know why other teams haven't done that.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We need to get over the pity party of the Clemson score. Swinney emptied his bench and started early. As for "throwing downfield", for pete's sake: you want to put a QB in the game and say don't run our offense? If we are so pathetic we can't even compete with the 3 and 4 deeps, then it is on us.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We need to get over the pity party of the Clemson score. Swinney emptied his bench and started early. As for "throwing downfield", for pete's sake: you want to put a QB in the game and say don't run our offense? If we are so pathetic we can't even compete with the 3 and 4 deeps, then it is on us.
I don’t know what “pity party” you're referring to, but Clemson literally wasn’t running “their offense” in the second half of that game. There is an obvious difference in the way they played the second half of the GT game and the way they played against everyone else on the schedule. I don’t really care that they ran the score up, but I am curious about why they felt the need to against Tech and nobody else.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don’t know what “pity party” you're referring to, but Clemson literally wasn’t running “their offense” in the second half of that game. There is an obvious difference in the way they played the second half of the GT game and the way they played against everyone else on the schedule. I don’t really care that they ran the score up, but I am curious about why they felt the need to against Tech and nobody else.
Because collins probably rubs dabo the wrong way with **** talking CPJ passive aggressively. You have to remember CPJ basically helped dabo out alot when he became a coach and as a bit of a mentor on that part of things.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Because collins probably rubs dabo the wrong way with **** talking CPJ passive aggressively. You have to remember CPJ basically helped dabo out alot when he became a coach and as a bit of a mentor on that part of things.
I didn't know this. What did Paul Johnson do to help Dabo out when he became a coach? I just can't recall this.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I didn't know this. What did Paul Johnson do to help Dabo out when he became a coach? I just can't recall this.

Pretty much acted as a mentor, dabo was rightfully a bit in over his head when he went from WR coach to head coach. CPJ was one of the guys that kinda helped him out with that and dabo never really forgot that. You also have to remember that in dabos first 5 years he only beat paul twice and well there were years they could have done to us what they did to us last year and they never did plus dabo always had good things to say about him and our program. That has changed.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Clemson didn't look prepared and the buckeyes didn't take to kindly to Dabo ranking them 11th. Never heard one expert pick OSU to win that game. Clemson is one the five elite college programs when it comes to getting all the five stars. Bama, OSU, LSU, UGAG are the other four.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
whose offense were they running then? Go back and read your post and you will recognize the pity party i refer to. (By the way, "obvious" is one of those buzz words that state as fact something that isn't.}

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It looks like Clemson has fallen off a bit. I think Alabama will win the Championship Game but it will could be a high scoring close game.
Unfortunately I have to go with OSU. I watched the Alabama-ND game and came away confident that Clemson would beat Alabama. Got ahead of myself obviously.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Once again, slowly: Clemson. Did not. Run the. Score up. If we can't whip their scrubs with our starters, tell me whose fault that is.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The only thing I recall is that at the first ACC coaches' meeting after Swinney got the job, Johnson was the first to recognize him and offer a seat next to him, and Swinney was later to say that "Johnson has a scheme that works for him." I don't know that any mentoring was going on. Swinney had Gene Stallings, a pretty fair country mentor, and Joe Don Phillips for that. He has been particularly effusive about Stallings. Not slamming Johnson, my personal favorite, just recollecting the history of it. (I also recall something about Johnson and another new coach about the pre-game handshake at mid field. Johnson said something like, "Nothing to it. Just shake hands and pretend we like one another." Now that is mentoring.)

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m going Ohio State. Regional bias be damned and I was born, raised and live in Georgia. I hate the sec. I also married my wife who is from Cincinnati who is a OSU fan. I didn’t like it to start but I have gotten to know some really good down to earth people from there over the years that I’d trade for a few good ole boys and girls that have never left the south and feel that they are entitled to any and everything.
Tech left the sec Alabama was a big part of that. Screw them

Pretty much acted as a mentor, dabo was rightfully a bit in over his head when he went from WR coach to head coach. CPJ was one of the guys that kinda helped him out with that and dabo never really forgot that. You also have to remember that in dabos first 5 years he only beat paul twice and well there were years they could have done to us what they did to us last year and they never did plus dabo always had good things to say about him and our program. That has changed.
Revisionist history.

Dabo is as smart as they come, Saban-esque IMO , but he plays up that "aw shucks" Southern Christian thingy to the Max

Dabo has an MBA from Bama , I think his concentration was in Marketing, this guy thoroughly understands Recruiting 18 yr olds and is a self taught expert in Human Behavior, for example, South Carolina has bagmen, a Big Stadium, a rabid & stupid Fanbase, and similar Academics to Clemson, so explain WHY Dabo earlier in his tenure can come to GA and go head to head with UGA and end up with Watson & Lawrence at QB while South Carolina comes to GA and ended up with some Shaw kid playing QB for them?

Many Colleges have a "similar setup" as Clemson, but those Colleges will never come close to what Dabo has created at Clemson

There was no mentoring from our previous HC IMO, that's just a cute narrative that Fans of the Previous HC like to throw around, in fact I don't think anyone anywhere in CFB has ever mentioned that they were "mentored" by our Previous HC

Dabo never ran the score up on the previous HC because the Previous HC was never a threat to Clemson Recruiting-wise, he was more focused on "his system" instead of Maximizing the Talent Level of each scholarship given out, conversely CGC is definitely going after many of the same Players that Clemson wants when they come to GA HSs to Recruit

The way they boat-raced us last season is to send a message to upcoming Recruits in 22 & 23 that GT isn't closing the gap anytime soon, that wasn't necessary before CGC arrived

While we're at it, getting boat-raced like that is 80% on the Players and 20% on the Coaches, if you are a Legit P5 Talent and are lifting weights & eating at a Training Table & running Sprints almost year-round, then just by Playing with Discipline & "give-a-damn" you should never lose by more than 4 TDs, never ever

In a lot of our losses we had position Groups that failed to play with PRIDE, mainly our OLine and then on occasion our 2ndary failed to play with any pride (FB ain't Rocket Science, there are only 5 men that can go downfield for a Fwd Pass, yet our 2ndary that's supposed to be smarter than other secondaries kept losing Men in coverage)

We all need to pray that NiL gets started as soon as possible, hopefully above the Table Money can level the playing field Recruiting wise