Good Read in Macon Newspaper

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wow. We're running 7-8 plays. That's telling. I realize we can run those plays either direction and out of several different formations, which makes it more like 20-30 plays. But the repetition you can get with just a few plays means they get pretty darn good at those 7-8 plays.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow. We're running 7-8 plays. That's telling. I realize we can run those plays either direction and out of several different formations, which makes it more like 20-30 plays. But the repetition you can get with just a few plays means they get pretty darn good at those 7-8 plays.

Just to remind us what that looked like..........

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

I think Paul is probably over simplifying it a bit. I know we ran each of these plays in the first or second scrimmage:

- Triple option
- B-back screen
- Mid-line option
- Rocket toss
- Reverse to Smelter
- Fake toss a-back counter
- Counter option

That's 7 right there and only one pass play (and it's a screen)...it's definitely more than 7 or 8, and I'm sure that we have more than one drop back pass play in the playbook this year.

Either way, I love seeing us getting back to the basics of this offense. I think the results will speak for themselves.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
yeah its not 7-8 plays, but paul does what the fridge did. We did run like 15 plays out of around 25 sets. So paul does the same...its similar plays or core plays run out of like 20 different blocking schemes and motions....i think this is what it means.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Add

B back dive
Fake toss B Back Dive
Option with BBack blocking
Option with BBack as pitch

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe we can discuss the difference between plays, formations, sets and schemes........:sick:

The reason we diversified the offense last year was CPJ's estimation that that was the best way to win with the players (Vad) we had. Turned out to be wrong. I think this is the right way for us to go; it is what CPJ does best. He should play to his strengths and if the team doesn't succeed and excite, he'll be gone.

About 60% of the game is D and ST. So they will decide many games too. But the O is CPJ's baby as it should be.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Maybe we can discuss the difference between plays, formations, sets and schemes........:sick:

The reason we diversified the offense last year was CPJ's estimation that that was the best way to win with the players (Vad) we had. Turned out to be wrong. I think this is the right way for us to go; it is what CPJ does best. He should play to his strengths and if the team doesn't succeed and excite, he'll be gone.

About 60% of the game is D and ST. So they will decide many games too. But the O is CPJ's baby as it should be.

wait why did it turn out to be wrong...what if we forced the true triple option on vad? We would have won 4 games. I actually think vad was so bad at running paul was forced to hybrid the offense and thank god we won 7. But it makes you wonder why JT didn't beat him out then? who knows...

I think what turned out to be wrong was pauls ability to change his scheme MORE than he was comfortable doing...and put a different type of player in it...that turned out the be wrong.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Again after all of 1 year of half *** attempt at diamond and pistol set and oh Hallelujah we returning to our basic offense that lead to 7-6 & 6-6 seasons before. Handclaps (y)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Again after all of 1 year of half *** attempt at diamond and pistol set and oh Hallelujah we returning to our basic offense that lead to 7-6 & 6-6 seasons before. Handclaps (y)
Hell yeah handclaps!!! Oh and the D never played a down those years, right?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
wait why did it turn out to be wrong...what if we forced the true triple option on vad? We would have won 4 games. I actually think vad was so bad at running paul was forced to hybrid the offense and thank god we won 7. But it makes you wonder why JT didn't beat him out then? who knows...

I think what turned out to be wrong was pauls ability to change his scheme MORE than he was comfortable doing...and put a different type of player in it...that turned out the be wrong.

Gotta run, but real quick. My opinion is that we should have forced Vad to run the TO. Played Byerly or JT or anyone more if it didn't work. They would have gotten better with real time reps and so would the rest of the starters being all over the place. Would have been far better for this year.

Sometimes the longer range solution is better than the short term fix.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It isn't like I never seen Offensive laden teams with mediocre defenses win conference titles, play in the NC, and even win the NC.
CPJ isn't just the coach of the Offense BTW.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What have we been running since?
CPJ has only produced 1 season as a Top 10 offense.
Maybe one problem with the D is the O ..

It isn't like I never seen Offensive laden teams with mediocre defenses win conference titles, play in the NC, and even win the NC.
CPJ isn't just the coach of the Offense BTW.

These are all valid points but mostly irrelevant to the discussion, imo. Perhaps, you should look at your last sentence. If you want to blame CPJ for our record, blame him for our D which also falls under HC responsibility. However, making sarcastic comments about our O in 2011-2012 by referring to our W-L seems, to me, ignorant of what happened in those games.

Changing the subject away from your origonal post to other issues or problems you have with coach seems, to me, disrespectful of others in the forum.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
These are all valid points but mostly irrelevant to the discussion, imo. Perhaps, you should look at your last sentence. If you want to blame CPJ for our record, blame him for our D which also falls under HC responsibility. However, making sarcastic comments about our O in 2011-2012 by referring to our W-L seems, to me, ignorant of what happened in those games.

Changing the subject away from your origonal post to other issues or problems you have with coach seems, to me, disrespectful of others in the forum.

Whose changing the subject the "the basic" O isn't some juggernaut and it's NEVER BEEN. Miss me with all this back to basic bs. With all the new formations and "didn't do what we do" mouth breathing we still finished with the same record we finished with the year before with maybe a marginally better defense best. So which, one back to basics and finish 7-6 or half *** add new wrinkles and finish 7-6.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Whose changing the subject the "the basic" O isn't some juggernaut and it's NEVER BEEN. Miss me with all this back to basic bs. With all the new formations and "didn't do what we do" mouth breathing we still finished with the same record we finished with the year before with maybe a marginally better defense best. So which, one back to basics and finish 7-6 or half *** add new wrinkles and finish 7-6.

The offense has been the most consistent of the 3 phases in the last 7 years and it's not even close. Could it be better, absolutely no doubt. You're making it sound like the main reason for our 7-6 seasons is because of the offense. I'm pretty sure our defense and special teams had a HUGE helping hand in a majority of those losses.