Good news

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
No doubt Reggie extended a lot of effort on the field. I never questioned his effort or intent. But he had three problems - 1) The opponents got to him. He lacked the maturity to ignore them. 2) His accuracy was mediocre at best. 3) His mechanics were poor in that he telegraphed his throws with a big windup. That was one of the things that made Joe Hamilton great. When he decided to throw the ball, it came out instantly. Reggie had to wind up. That's just as bad as staring down the receiver.

As far as the OC/HC, I struggle to figure out what you're supposed to do with a QB as limited as Reggie was. Obviously, we tried to run the ball a lot, but after that, what do you do?
I don't know why in the world anyone would defend Gailey or Nix unless they were related to them, but mechanics are teachable. Heck, maturity is teachable. His accuracy declined as was stated above - which points back to coaching.

With the Fridge as his coach, he would have improved and we would be singing his praises. Joe (with a great coach) was awesome by the end of his career but his first two people were going crazy.

Plus, let's not forget that with a mediocre defense, even baseline CPJ defenses - that we lambast him rightly for - Joe would have won the Heisman. He deserved it anyway (why did it become a career award for one year?!) but the defense that year sunk him.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
mechanics are teachable.
Name a QB who made a significant improvement in his mechanical ability to get the ball from point A to point B. Honestly, the list is VERY short. Your mechanics are established by the time you're recruited to college and are very difficult to change at that point. Look at professional golf where guys who are full time golfers try to change their swing and fail. David Duvall comes to mind.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Name a QB who made a significant improvement in his mechanical ability to get the ball from point A to point B. Honestly, the list is VERY short. Your mechanics are established by the time you're recruited to college and are very difficult to change at that point. Look at professional golf where guys who are full time golfers try to change their swing and fail. David Duvall comes to mind.
David Duval had vertigo.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
OK, I'm not saying he could have become the next Marino, I'm just pointing out that they can be improved upon. Plus, the point is, he got worse. To most of us it points to poor coaching. NFL coaches don't have to teach as many fundamentals (obviously) since the players are already near the top of their game when they get there.

GTRules

Georgia Tech Fan
A friend of mine put it best when he said Gailey had a 7-win face.

Good for a few wins a year, but usually not more than that. And boring.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
The problem was not Reggie Ball. He was a 4 year starter. If he did not improve it is 100% on the coaching staff. If he was not good enough they failed miserably in bringing in a better qb. I do not remember one qb who showed improvement under CCG. Not to mention the offense we ran was very vanilla. We basically looked the same the entire time Gailey was here no matter who the qb was.

Josh Allen - Buffalo Bills, improved his accuracy when he used Technology (digital Video & motion capture, etc) plus coaching from Carson Palmer's younger brother to re-construct his throwing motion from the ground up

He improved his completion % from like 55% to close to 73% vs NFL competition

Well, we had one. Joe Hamilton. In 1996 pre-Fridge, he was not very accurate and had that crazy high throw. Fridge came in 1997, changed his mechanics and the rest is history. Also Fridge incorporated a lot more Triple option which opened up the receivers.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Bingo! Gailey often said his game plan was to get 6 up and hold the other team! Boring football and his game plan was the reason Tech lost to WF in the ACC Championship game. I remember it well, my 1 year old grandson's first Tech game, he's now 14 . Hells, Bells, I'm getting old!
My favorite all time Gailey game was the 2003 Maryland game. Tech won 7 - 3 in Fridge's first game back at Grant Field as Terps HC. We did just what I said: Tech scored early, played good D, and say on the ball like a slug. I especially like the last part; nothing like getting ahead and then holding onto the ball for the foreseeable future.

Now you know one reason why I liked Paul.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, we had one. Joe Hamilton. In 1996 pre-Fridge, he was not very accurate and had that crazy high throw. Fridge came in 1997, changed his mechanics and the rest is history. Also Fridge incorporated a lot more Triple option which opened up the receivers.
We had two, actually. Fridge told Godsey that if he didn't quit sidearming the ball, he'd never start. Sure enough, he started getting the mechanics right and the rest is history.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Never heard that anyone changed JH's mechanics. As to the triple option, Fridge himself indicated they ran a lot of option, but NOT a traditional triple option. We generally faked the first read and ran a speed option - a double option, if you will.

Never heard that anyone changed JH's mechanics. As to the triple option, Fridge himself indicated they ran a lot of option, but NOT a traditional triple option. We generally faked the first read and ran a speed option - a double option, if you will.
Point being, when you incorporate an option in your offense you get a lot of single coverage. Go back and look how often Dez White and Kelly Campbell got single man coverage.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Point being, when you incorporate an option in your offense you get a lot of single coverage. Go back and look how often Dez White and Kelly Campbell got single man coverage.
How does that point, which nobody has raised until this post by you, relate to anything to do with QB accuracy, which was the departure point for this offshoot of the thread?