Good news

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Gailey was a decent QB away from establishing himself as a top shelf head coach at GT. Was the failure to get a better option at QB or develop the one(s) he had his responsibility? Yep, same with the OC. But I thought he ran the program well, despite being hobbled by the fallout from the academic/eligibility mess he unknowingly inherited.
Lol, ok. That dude is the definition of a mediocre football coach. Check out the career coaching record and look at the seasons in the link below - all time college and pro, not just Tech. I’m sure players loved him and he’s a great dude personally, but 7-5 was generally the ceiling. The fact that we only won 9 games in 2006 with that nasty defense and Calvin is an indictment on his abilities as a head coach. We lost five games and four of them we just dumb losses. That team should have won the conference and the Orange Bowl.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Lol, ok. That dude is the definition of a mediocre football coach. Check out the career coaching record and look at the seasons in the link below - all time college and pro, not just Tech. I’m sure players loved him and he’s a great dude personally, but 7-5 was generally the ceiling. The fact that we only won 9 games in 2006 with that nasty defense and Calvin is an indictment on his abilities as a head coach. We lost five games and four of them we just dumb losses. That team should have won the conference and the Orange Bowl.

Pretty sure he addressed that with his comment about needing a decent QB. Reggie Ball completed 135 passes at a 44% clip in 2006. He completed 115 of those passes to just 2 players. Ball’s passer rating in ‘06 was 104.4. Sims’ rating this year was 122.8, and James Graham’s in 2019 was 109. If Ball would’ve even been an average QB, that 2006 team probably does win the conference and the Orange Bowl.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Homer forced Lewis to hire O'Leary. I have negotiated and enforced more contracts than you have...I guarantee you....but I also know how the real world works.

LOL...are you seriously trying to measure the size of your contract experience on a messageboard? OK dude.

Fact is, GT couldn't get out from under Gailey's contract when we fired him so we had to pay his buyout. Period.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure he addressed that with his comment about needing a decent QB. Reggie Ball completed 135 passes at a 44% clip in 2006. He completed 115 of those passes to just 2 players. Ball’s passer rating in ‘06 was 104.4. Sims’ rating this year was 122.8, and James Graham’s in 2019 was 109. If Ball would’ve even been an average QB, that 2006 team probably does win the conference and the Orange Bowl.
People are always saying this about Reg. The thing to remember is that Gailey was a pro coach. That meant that he wanted to get ahead, play good D, and sit on the ball like a slug. Reg took risks and threw too many interceptions for Chan's taste. So he got taken to the woodshed and told that if he wanted to keep starting he needed to learn to throw the ball away. That's why he went from a 51.7% completion rate as a frosh to a 44.4% completion rate as a senior. He also went from throwing 10 TDs and 11 INTs as a frosh to 20 TDs and 14 INTs as a senior. He was doing what the coaches told him and it got us 9 wins hs senior year. Can't complain about that much.

Oh, and btw, Reg's QB rating in 2006 was 107.2. Your figure is his career rating.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I know that a lot of you might not agree, but I'd hire Gailey as recruiting coordinator. He had the best eye for talent of any Tech coach in recent memory. Well … of any Tech coach in recent memory who wasn't running a system offense, that is.

Chan was running a system offense too. A very bland old one that was missing emmitt smith and troy aikman. Eventually he got his smith and his Irvin but never landed that aikman.

ScGold

Banned
Run right for a yard, run left for two, incomplete pass, punt. I know, I know we had some good backs and gained some yards but it seemed we must have set a record for 3 and outs in the Gailey years. Lose 6-3 to Wake WITH CALVIN!!!
Two words are synonymous with Gomer and they are REGGIE BALL. Enough said.

crazy4GT

Georgia Tech Fan
Gailey was a decent QB away from establishing himself as a top shelf head coach at GT. Was the failure to get a better option at QB or develop the one(s) he had his responsibility? Yep, same with the OC. But I thought he ran the program well, despite being hobbled by the fallout from the academic/eligibility mess he unknowingly inherited.
I think Reggie Ball was good enough at QB. He had horrible OC/HC and we didn't play to his strengths. I've never understood the Reggie Ball hate. He gave everything he had to GT.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think Reggie Ball was good enough at QB. He had horrible OC/HC and we didn't play to his strengths. I've never understood the Reggie Ball hate. He gave everything he had to GT.
I agree 100 % Reggie Ball is still a big Tech fan , wish people would get off his back he gave 100 % every time something other players today should try and do.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
IMO, A big part of Gailey’s problem was that he wouldn’t just let his OC alone and let them do the job, our offense was the same crap the whole time he was there no matter who the OC was, they were basically just a figurehead and person to pass the blame onto

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I liked and respected Reggie for giving his all but his progression if any over his four years was minimal in almost all respects under the tutelage of CCG.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100 % Reggie Ball is still a big Tech fan , wish people would get off his back he gave 100 % every time something other players today should try and do.
Reggie would have been great under CPJ, ironically he'd have never committed to CPJ. He would have also been great in a Malzahn style one read offense with calvin and pj danials and later choice. Imagine Auburn wiht Cams offense with that crew.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Gailey was solid other than he couldn't get a damn QB here. He had talent everywhere else though but that one thing led to his demise.

He actually had an NFL level QB coming in 2008 (Sean Renfree). We all know what happened.

Kinda crazy the talent Renfree would have had around him coming off signing the 2007 class with Demaryius Thomas already on the roster.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
People are always saying this about Reg. The thing to remember is that Gailey was a pro coach. That meant that he wanted to get ahead, play good D, and sit on the ball like a slug. Reg took risks and threw too many interceptions for Chan's taste. So he got taken to the woodshed and told that if he wanted to keep starting he needed to learn to throw the ball away. That's why he went from a 51.7% completion rate as a frosh to a 44.4% completion rate as a senior. He also went from throwing 10 TDs and 11 INTs as a frosh to 20 TDs and 14 INTs as a senior. He was doing what the coaches told him and it got us 9 wins hs senior year. Can't complain about that much.

Oh, and btw, Reg's QB rating in 2006 was 107.2. Your figure is his career rating.
Bingo! Gailey often said his game plan was to get 6 up and hold the other team! Boring football and his game plan was the reason Tech lost to WF in the ACC Championship game. I remember it well, my 1 year old grandson's first Tech game, he's now 14 . Hells, Bells, I'm getting old!

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
No doubt Reggie extended a lot of effort on the field. I never questioned his effort or intent. But he had three problems - 1) The opponents got to him. He lacked the maturity to ignore them. 2) His accuracy was mediocre at best. 3) His mechanics were poor in that he telegraphed his throws with a big windup. That was one of the things that made Joe Hamilton great. When he decided to throw the ball, it came out instantly. Reggie had to wind up. That's just as bad as staring down the receiver.

As far as the OC/HC, I struggle to figure out what you're supposed to do with a QB as limited as Reggie was. Obviously, we tried to run the ball a lot, but after that, what do you do?