Good News/Bad News

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
That sucks. That just totally sucks, for her and for you. I'm really sorry.

Is there any chance retaking the SAT would help?

It sounds to me like GT admissions is using the SAT as a kind of tie-breaker. GT can afford to be somewhat more selective than they have in the recent past, since now college is a "necessity" for nearly everyone (or viewed that way, anyway). This would generally be a good thing, except for the supremely capable and talented kids that are just barely shut out, like your daughter. How many of us would not be accepted to GT now??? Me for one, for sure. :(

The master's plan sounds like a good one, though.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to hear your bad news. My wife, who's a pediactric alergist almost never got into med school based on standardized test scores, even though she graduated with a 4.0 in college and was class valedictorian. She has test anxiety and it only affected her on the big standardized test (MCAT).

Too bad GT admissions are so myopic that they cannot see she is a perfect candidate for GT. There's a lot more that demonstrates college readiness than a single test score, a lot more.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
That sucks. That just totally sucks, for her and for you. I'm really sorry.

Is there any chance retaking the SAT would help?

It sounds to me like GT admissions is using the SAT as a kind of tie-breaker. GT can afford to be somewhat more selective than they have in the recent past, since now college is a "necessity" for nearly everyone (or viewed that way, anyway). This would generally be a good thing, except for the supremely capable and talented kids that are just barely shut out, like your daughter. How many of us would not be accepted to GT now??? Me for one, for sure. :(

The master's plan sounds like a good one, though.

My SAT score would not get me into GT today. Her score was good, it is just that the lower 25th percentile for the incoming class was still over 2000.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I'd work on getting her into next summer's class as a transfer. Maybe I'm biased, but having that GT sheepskin will pay dividends the rest of her life.

Good luck. I've got 1 in the pipe now and another on the way. Admissions letter time is stressful and when the results aren't what you want is downright frustrating.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately bad news. She was given conditional acceptance for the 2015 school year. That is if she maintains a certain GPA and takes at least 30 hours. Problem is she has already taken 60 hours. She is graduating with an associates degree at the same time she graduates high school. She has taken all three calcs, diff. eq., linear algebra, both chemistry classes, and both calc based phys. By the time 2015 rolls around she will be a senior and there will be no need to go the GT.

Her GPA is a 3.75 with those 60 hours. She is only 18. She has done all this while lettering in the competition cheerleading squad for four years, cross country for one year, and track for one year. We are going to try and set up a meeting with admissions at GT, but we have already been warned by the Jr. college she has been attending the last two years that it will probably be a futile exercise.

By the way the jr. college (Middle Ga) has been transferring kids into Tech for over 50 years, so it is not a problem with her coursework not being accepted. Her SAT simply wasn't up to GT standards, and they had several thousand kids apply for the fall semester.

I am deeply depressed. Her only options are to major in EE at UGA or Ga Southern. She has been accepted to both.

Many years ago, they used to have the 2/2 and 3/2 programs at Southern - you go two years at Southern and the last two at Tech and get a degree from Tech or do three at Southern and the last two at Tech and get a degree from both. I knew a few folks who did that. Don't know if that still exists. Southern used to have some pretty strong faculty, particularly in physics, where the department chair had done his undergrad, masters and PhD work at Tech, start to finish, in seven years and was a teetotaling Baptist deacon - and a TKE at Tech.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Many years ago, they used to have the 2/2 and 3/2 programs at Southern - you go two years at Southern and the last two at Tech and get a degree from Tech or do three at Southern and the last two at Tech and get a degree from both. I knew a few folks who did that. Don't know if that still exists. Southern used to have some pretty strong faculty, particularly in physics, where the department chair had done his undergrad, masters and PhD work at Tech, start to finish, in seven years and was a teetotaling Baptist deacon - and a TKE at Tech.

I am very impressed with the staff at Southern. And if she has to go there fall semester she will graduate from there. I don't think she will want to transfer after having 100 + semester hours. I think she will get a great education at Southern, the degree just won't mean as much.

I don't know but I doubt the have the dual degree program anymore because Southern has an accredited engineering program now.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I did the 2 2 program... I got the spot of one the people that flunked out of chemical engineering.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know but I doubt the have the dual degree program anymore because Southern has an accredited engineering program now.

Georgia Southern is a member of the RETP program as well as the dual degree program.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Great news. After a few conversations with admissions, she has been accepted for the fall! We have just sent in the admissions fee. I can't wait to see her on the sidelines at our first game!
Wow, that's awesome! Congrats to you, and most importantly to your daughter! (y)

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Great news. After a few conversations with admissions, she has been accepted for the fall! We have just sent in the admissions fee. I can't wait to see her on the sidelines at our first game!

Congratulations! I'll never forget the day I got my letter.

Will you be coming to one of the FASET sessions?